Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Cpap user 1 week. Need any help I can get.
RE: New Cpap user 1 week. Need any help I can get.
Hi Lawrosa,  welcome to the forum.

OS (Obstructive Sleep Apnea)
Ca (Central Apnea) appear to be there quite a lot, so I think you are suffering from Sleep Apnea, without a doubt, however, I am sure the guys will get you to a better place with it here.  Your Sleep Doctor should have set the machine up a bit better than that.  4 to 20 is just handing the machine over as it came out the factory!  Total disgrace!  So once you get some more charts up the guys here will give you some advice.  I wold have it at 8 low and restrict it at 15 for now, give the machine a bit of freedom, it will not normally go above what you require anyway, as long as you don't knock the mask off or have a big leak.
Things to look out for as a new user are:
Taking off the mask during the night:  Put it straight back on again.  No one is born with a mask on their face so it is normal for some to take it off at first.
Dry mouth:  Air is escaping out of your mouth, this can happen if you pen your mouth or air tries to take the route of least resistance (instead of forcing your throat open, it leaks through your mouth, it starts iff with just a tiny bubble of air, then get to be a larger leak as your mouth dries out.  After your mouth dries it is almost impossible to stop it leaking, so keep a small bottle of water beside your bed.  If this happens get yourself a chin strap and keep it tight.  You can also get a collar to keep your mouth from dropping as well.
Sleeping position:  Sleeping on your back is not good, however, you can't do anything about it after you fall asleep and others can't sleep on their side.
Good luck with your treatment, I think you have the right frame of mind to make it work for you.
Some give up without trying.  Whatever you do, do not give up.  There is always a way or a machine that will work for you.
You are off to a good start with the machine you have.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Forget what I said about the pressures, you have posted more since.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2018, 11:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: From your charts, after you changed to variable pressure, you generally had a median pressure just over 6-cm and a maximum pressure of 10.0.  So that is the range I think you should shoot for.  With fixed pressure at 11 and EPR (exhale pressure relief) at 2, you had mostly clear airway or central events.  That suggests that the higher pressure or the EPR may have been a bit too much.  The sleep study titration (page 5 of 5) showed a few events at 8.0 cm (AHI 4.4), but really, you were pretty well treated at all pressures, and all events were gone at 9-11 cm.  You appear to be well treated with the lower pressure, and using an auto CPAP range of 6-10 looks pretty good to me.

So I set the machine to 6-11. But last night the machine started at 4. I just noticed in the settings the start pressure can be changed and this is part of the ramp.. Should I just not use ramp?

Will the pressure just start at 6?

Or should I do 5 as the start and let it ramp to 6? 4 seems low to start as seems like im suffocating...lol

Also should I leave the epr on 2? full time or ramp only?
?️
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use ramp, it is a preference thing, only use EPR if you need it and find it difficult to breath out against the air pressure of the machine, again this is just a comfort thing.  If you don't need them, turn them off, however if you need EPR use it if you have to, the Airsense10 builds up quite slowly anyway, so I don't think there is any need to use the ramp unless you have trouble getting to sleep, however, when it is at low some people find they feel air starved.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Turn off ramp.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lawrosa,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but, just stick with it, over time, it does get better.
Hang in there and good luck on your journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I ran last night with the new pressures. Seems to work out well. Feel a bit better today...

I want to thank everyone that assisted me. I have a better understanding of how the machine works and what I am striving for..

Seems when I have less "H" events on my chart I feel better... Like I said not sure of the corrolation...

Boy set at a 6 min and when that EPR goes off what a difference. The EPR makes it so much easier to breath while falling asleep. I set it last night to ramp only.  But the unit ramped up before I fell asleep.  Previously I had it set on full time..

I guess I dont go higher then 11 is a good thing...

I assume people can get obsessed with trying to get thier AHI as low as they could..

[Image: uHeXgMIl.png]
?️
Post Reply Post Reply
I still think you would do better with a higher minimum pressure and looking at the leaks/mouth breathing. I wouldn't have less than 7 at this stage. I think having low pressure isn't the goal, it is to have enough pressure, that the AHI is managed the best. Then with auto, to have a max setting that will cover a bad night.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers are VERY good.  They do not NEED adjustments, and being under 5 AHI you are considered treated.
Remember these settings because they look like a very safe place to go back to.
Any changes you make need to be small and given about a week to evaluate.  That said I would slowly raise the minimum (.4-.6, you can't do .5)  This is to see if we can further reduce the obstructive events you are having.  A VERY important question to ask is "How do you feel?"

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Bonjour. If your sleeping well and feel rested at these pressures then leave them where they are. 2.33 AHI is a good number! You do have some mouth leaks but not that bad.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 463 58 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,490 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 487 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,044 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 203 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.