Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Cpap user seeking support
New Cpap user seeking support
Tonight is my first night with my machine. I got it through the VA so I don't think it will cost me anything but if I do have to pay a copay it shouldn't be that much. So far I've only paid 15 dollars copay for my first visit with PCP's. I read the instruction manual and figured everything out -- I think. I just left it on Auto setting. I'm seeing stuff online that this was probably set by the Sleep Study technician based on my Sleep Study Test results -- I guess? I have Moderate apnea. I used to have Slight apnea and admittedly did nothing about it. He also said I was having Nocturnal Seizure activity and the brain readings showed that as well. Not sure what that is about. I have a Hemifacial Spasm on the right side of my face and that made it very difficult to fall asleep that night (the 29th -- didn't use it until tonight because I needed Distilled Water and I just went to the store today to get that). My mouth kept doing those spasms. I even fell asleep a few times and started dreaming only to have one of those stupid spasms wake me up. Not sure if that is what he was seeing? Anyway he sent the report to my PCPs and told me I should follow up with them about maybe getting an EEG to see if something else is going on. He also diagnosed me with Restless Leg Syndrome. Back in the 90s they said my apnea was because my uvula is longer than normal and when I lay down it cuts off the air flow. On the Study report this time it said I had 45 Obstructive Apneas and 14 Hypopneas through the night. So I hope this machine works the way it is supposed to. He told me and the other guy there, 'You will notice the difference the very first time you use it!" I'm hoping that will be the case. One of my brothers' buddies had sleep apnea and supposedly that is the reason why he had the accident that killed him. Witnesses said he was riding his motorcycle and for no reason just stood up and flew off of the bike. Sad. I'm only 58 so I would like to do something to improve my health and those numbers look high. I didn't realize that I was THAT bad. Although I am only Moderate not Severe. So here's to a good night sleep and I wish you all the same. Oh a funny story about my first Sleep Study back in the 1990s. I kept dreaming that the technicians were coming in my room and waking me up and then one time they actually did! lol They had to adjust something that I guess I had done something to in my sleep -- like one of the wires on my head or something like that. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Cpap user seeking support
Did they say anything about Central Apnea or Mixed apenas. Better post a copy of your sleep study. The full study not just the summary.

And download and post your nightly charts from SleepyHead. See my signature
Post Reply Post Reply
FChandler,

You do not need distilled water. You can use tap water, but might get some scaling of the humidifier tank. But, that can be removed with vinegar when needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
You should obtain a copy of your sleep studies for your personal recordkeeping as this can avoid the need for future studies, and help you understand better what is going on. Download the #Sleepyhead software and we will very quickly see what is going on an if changes are needed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you own your own machine, and don't mind emptying and rinsing the reservoir each morning, there is no good reason not to use tap water.  Even very hard water can be used, although most places have moderate to low hardness. 

The idea is that, as the water evaporates, it leaves behind things that cannot be taken up with the vapour, and that would be dissolved solids.  The salts left behind will form a crust or scale which reduces volume and eventually the efficiency of the system. To avoid that, and this applies to those 'Drumatic' humidifiers on the sides of furnaces, you must empty the dregs of water left in the container most days, rinse, and then replace the container with fresh water (the Drumatics fill themselves using a float valve).

Distilled water is also fine to use.  It's just that it's almost certainly unnecessary, especially as the minor expense that it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info on the water. The technician advised using only Distilled Water. But that's good to know that tap water is fine. The report says Mixed Apneas 0 and Central Apneas 0. I don't have a scanner for my home PC. But I have one on my work PC and can scan a copy of the entire Sleep Study (2 pages) and post it here. I will also download the Sleepyhead software as well. Thanks for the advice. I do feel there is a difference today. I didn't realize that even during the daytime my breathing has been labored and today I notice a BIG difference in that my breathing itself seems easier. Also some levels of anxiety/irritability are reduced today. The only problems I had were the nose pillows were somewhat rough on my upper lip area. I remembered afterward the technician said something about that could happen and to get some kind of strips and tape them to that area. But this morning that area wasn't sore at all, so, it could be that I got used to it -- or my skin got used to it. Another problem was that I woke up wide awake a little after 4 am and didn't realize it was so early and turned off the machine and I probably should have just got up, but, I didn't and laid there and went back to sleep without using the CPAP. The alarm went off about 5:30 and I again turned the alarm off, thought about getting up and fell back asleep. Didn't get up until about 10 am. So I'll have to concentrate on leaving the CPAP on until I'm absolutely sure that I know what time it is and that I am getting out of bed for good. It's not normal for me to wake up that early, but, it's not anything new either. What format/program,etc.  do I need to use to scan the Sleep Study Report?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2018, 06:47 PM)FChandler Wrote: The only problems I had were the nose pillows were somewhat rough on my upper lip area.

It helps to wash face and, assuming that you have no facial hair, shave (women can omit that second step, heh) before going to bed and putting the mask on. Skin oil and/or whiskers will prevent a good mask seal.

The waking up and taking the mask off happens to everyone at first. It's necessary, over some time (weeks or months), to psych yourself into leaving the mask on all night and not switching the machine off. We all have to go through that. It's only (he said casually) a matter of resisting a temptation. Once you have been getting all of the benefits of CPAP therapy for a while, you'll know both consciously and subconsciously that it's Good Stuff, good mojo, and shouldn't be messed with.

That's assuming that your machine is putting out a pressure or range of pressures that is right for you. If the pressure setting is inappropriate, then the therapy might be uncomfortable for actual reasons, not just the usual trivial "Waaaah, I don't like this!" that we all have to get over initially.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 503 8 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,342 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 528 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 302 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,504 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,046 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.