Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Cure for Sleep Apnea?
RE: New Cure for Sleep Apnea?
(04-26-2016, 07:55 AM)green wings Wrote: Wow, good for you! I have one, but I rarely play it. I haven't learned to do the circular breathing.

How did you learn to do circular breathing? Do you play other wind instruments as well?

Have you seen the NIH study on didge playing and sleep apnea? Oboe and English horn are supposed to be helpful, too, but only if you play them for three hours per day.

I do play other wind instruments, though nothing likely to help with apnea (assuming that any wind instrument would help). For example, I play ocarina (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYvlHsv5xx0) and occasionally tenor sax. But I'm not in any kind of ensemble, and sax isn't much fun to play by myself, so I don't pick it up much. I'm strictly an amateur.

The circular breathing feels all wrong at first, but it didn't take more than a couple of days before I was getting something. It took a few weeks to get it to sound more or less right.

The thing about circular breathing is that it requires you to inflate your mouth and throat with air and, while inhaling, to use your lips to continue to make the didge sound. To do this, you have to create air pressure using your cheeks and, to some extent, throat. You can feel the tension as you do it.

You can do circular breathing on the sax, although I haven't practiced it. I think Kenny G once held the record for a continuous note played on a sax, using circular breathing. I'd imagine you could do it on brass instruments as well. I've seen it done on a bagpipe chanter, which is essentially a kind of oboe.

The thing is, even though you may be able to do circular breathing on French horn and oboe, I think most players don't, because there's not much musical use for it. It's very hard to maintain a clear steady pitch while circular breathing, but classical music kinda demands that clarity and steadiness.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've always thought an ocarina was a cool-looking instrument.
Post Reply Post Reply
Z-Z-Zombie thread
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2016, 07:52 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Z-Z-Zombie thread

It's okay. We resurrect old threads around here a lot. Eat-popcorn

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 3 820 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: gzaw
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 194 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 454 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 178 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,829 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.