Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Cure for Sleep Apnea?
RE: New Cure for Sleep Apnea?
(04-28-2015, 06:35 AM)DocWils Wrote: No, i know the device you are referring to, that would have no effect here - it is the circular breathing technique that counts, and the throat training that goes with it - Inuit and certain Mongolian tribes tested showed no signs of apnoea despite the excess body fats they carry naturally - the reason is the particular type of atonal singing they do, known as throat singing, which naturally tightens and tones the throat.

The "IMT" device is for inhale not exhale, to start with.

I'm thinking of something like a "silent didgeridoo." Probably just an airflow resistance device of some sort, but it's silent, unlike a didgeridoo. You'd still have to learn to do the circular breathing part.

Do you think that circular breathing into some sort of simple airflow restricting device would give you the didgeridoo benefits, or do you see something specific about the didgeridoo like the vibrations or straining your lips?

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting and worth a try... Off to steal my 9 yr olds recorder and dust the cobwebs out of "Hot Cross Buns", "Oh Canada" and "Ode to Joy" Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 01:47 PM)archangle Wrote: Do you think that circular breathing into some sort of simple airflow restricting device would give you the didgeridoo benefits, or do you see something specific about the didgeridoo like the vibrations or straining your lips?
To be honest, I don't know why it works better - I play flute and sing operetta (G&S, Lehar, Kalman, Bernstein, etc) and I know that that hasn't helped, despite the sort of breathing flute requires, and a mate of mine is top flautist who is currently on a FFM and around 18cm pressure, so it certainly didn't make a difference for him, so it is more than just blowing technique. What I do know is that studies showed of all wind instruments, the 'doo is the most effective and shows the best results. I guess the continuous breathing style is the key, since you breath differently with the 'doo than any other wind instrument. Over here we use perspex tubes instead of real 'doos for therapy, they are shorter and have a higher pitch, but they work.

Post Reply Post Reply
The only wind instrument clinically proven to stop sleep apnea dead is a cpap machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know from experience in my case a cheap doityourself fitted dental appliance that moves my jaw forward helps a great deal with my morning mood and energy.
Problem is I have so much sinus drainage I just couldn't use it.
Seriously I gotta sleep with a leaf blower tied to my face? Yep actually looking forward to it but if effective exercises would cure my presbyopia or my OAS I would be first in line.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 09:35 AM)trailrider Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLMlkjnYe0U

This is not an art form appreciated by the masses. I think the industry is safe.

I think I liked Sheldon's better.

Oh, hell. There just went two hours down the world wide internets tube.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
If we must have throat singing, I prefer Mongolian... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmo3fKeveo
Post Reply Post Reply
Not so sure it works for everyone - I've been playing the flute for almost 30 years, and I have severe sleep apnea Sad
[Image: tz8toniko.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
I picked up a didge last summer and have been merrily playing it ever since. I don't think it has done anything for my apnea but it's a lot of fun anyway, circular breathing and all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, good for you! I have one, but I rarely play it. I haven't learned to do the circular breathing.

How did you learn to do circular breathing? Do you play other wind instruments as well?

Have you seen the NIH study on didge playing and sleep apnea? Oboe and English horn are supposed to be helpful, too, but only if you play them for three hours per day.

(04-26-2016, 06:21 AM)tmoody Wrote: I picked up a didge last summer and have been merrily playing it ever since. I don't think it has done anything for my apnea but it's a lot of fun anyway, circular breathing and all.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 3 819 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: gzaw
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 194 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 177 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,827 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.