Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Diagnosis and living at high elevation
New Diagnosis and living at high elevation
Good day all!  I'm writing on behalf of a friend who just this week received her home study results.  The catalyst for her obtaining a home study was me talking about my own experience with apnea and her symptoms.  It wasn't much of a surprise that she was diagnosed with severe apnea via the home study.

I have insisted that she educate herself by way of this forum and she is doing so but is also feeling very overwhelmed at the moment.  I obtained her permission to post her sleep report for comments. 

Total Apnea-Hypopnea Index: 43.6
Total Apneas: 85
Total obstructive Apneas: 75
Total Hypopneas: 99
Total Central Apneas: 9

Impression/Diagnosis: Findings are consistent with Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Recommend Auto Pap with pressure ranges 5-20 cmH2O with download or facility based PAP titration

Oxygen desaturation index: 45.9

Patient qualifies for O2 with an SaO2 89% for 5 mins or greater

Heart Rate Min-Max 64-100

Severe Hypoxemia was noted

She is seeing her Dr. on Monday.  The reason I wanted to post her results was the reference to severe Hypoxemia.  She lives at an elevation of 7200 feet.  I'm interested in other members experience living at high elevation and Hypoxemia.  I've already told my friend to make sure the Dr rules out other conditions which could be contributing to the Hypoxemia.  But I'm curious.  Have other members living at high elevation had such high O2 desaturations caused solely by apnea?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Diagnosis and living at high elevation
Fedman, I would encourage your friend to start with the auto CPAP first, and monitor SpO2 using a recording oximeter to determine if the oxygen desaturation persists or not. It is likely she will have much better oxygen levels using the APAP once it is tuned in to her needs. What I notice right away is that the ODI of 45.9 matches the AHI, so there may be a causal relationship as you should expect. Anyway, keep therapy simple and then add oxygen if warranted.

As usual, I strongly prefer a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her for individuals that are self-titrating. It is a more responsive machine, and is more likely to intercept apnea and hypopnea than the Philips when not starting at optimized pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider.  Your insight is always appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fedman,
I don't live at a high altitude but my oxygen levels were quite low when first diagnosed. During the first sleep test my oxygen was below 90% for basically the whole test. I would encourage your friend to get an Oximeter and see how her levels are with the APAP and without.
I lost a bunch of weight and now my oxygen is much better, both with machine and without.
I wrote a more detailed explanation with some graphs at this link, starting at post #3:
https://www.sleepapneagroup.com/threads/...meter.210/
Post Reply Post Reply
If she lives at that height, and has for a while, then it is not attributing to the hypoximea (sp?). Her body has gotten used to it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 714 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 204 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 110 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 186 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,438 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.