Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New DreamStation - Wildly different AHI from session to session
RE: New DreamStation - Wildly different AHI from session to session
I never recorded data from my old machine. I'd have to use it a few nights for comparison. I'm not sure I want to do that because I have to do compliance for my new machine. 

I'm not sure what you mean about the leak rate. I've never noticed it leaking and most sessions I get a 100% mask fit on the DreamMapper app. 

What is a high leak rate and what would a normal one be? 

Is there a video or website that shows examples of bad and good for all of the events? I feel like if I could see normal and then bad, I could apply that to my data. I just don't know what I'm looking at in OSCAR. I'm sure TheLankyLefty is knowledgable, but I did not find his videos very helpful. At least for me.  

Also, I just slept a bit overnight without A Flex on and I got my best AHI score ever. Perhaps that's all it was. Though one sample is probably not enough to draw any conclusions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
froggie Wrote:What is a high leak rate and what would a normal one be?

There are two components to the leak: a) Intentional and b) Unintentional leak.

All masks have a designed-in leak which ensures that your exhaled breath is flushed away. In addition, there may be leaks because the mask isn't fitting properly or you're sleeping with your mouth open or similar unintentional leaks. The Philips machines report a total leak (the upper line in the graph) and subtract the intentional leak to get a value for unintentional (the lower line, which is reported as the "leak rate"). If the unintentional leak persistently goes above 24 L/min the machine has difficulty maintaining airflow and struggles to properly diagnose apneas and hypopneas.

If your unintentional leak is below 24 you won't have a problem as far as the machine is concerned. However these leaks can disturb your sleep eg by blowing air into your eyes or by causing "face farts". Your most recent chart shows a reasonably low leak rate and you say you're not aware of the leaks, so that much is under control.
Post Reply Post Reply
DeepBreathing, that was a wonderful explanation. Thank you. 

I got this new machine just as my father was put in the hospital and I have been very stressed trying to figure all this out. I was expecting to just slap on my mask and go to sleep like I have for the past 6 years. But then I got a 40 AHI during a nap and kind of freaked out.  

I do internet research as part of my work, but my concentration has been lacking and there is just so much information out there. All of these squiggly lines are giving me a headache. It's hard to know what to trust--as there are differing and inconsistent opinions. And then there is some kind of software drama I just learned about. TOO MUCH INPUT.

And I hate being the noob. I'm so used to being the one with the answers. 

So to all of you who have responded I really appreciate your knowledge and patience. Thank you for your help and I apologize if I am catching on a bit slow. It's just been a terrible week for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that in the info I'm seeing, large leaks aren't the issue. After 6 years, your therapy needs could have changed as much as you perceive with the old vs new devices. CA as in Clear Airway or Central Apnea seems to be the biggest area of concern right now. Let's see what the results are after another session with flex off.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2019, 07:01 AM)froggie Wrote: I never recorded data from my old machine. I'd have to use it a few nights for comparison. I'm not sure I want to do that because I have to do compliance for my new machine. 

I'm not sure what you mean about the leak rate. I've never noticed it leaking and most sessions I get a 100% mask fit on the DreamMapper app. 

What is a high leak rate and what would a normal one be? 

Is there a video or website that shows examples of bad and good for all of the events? I feel like if I could see normal and then bad, I could apply that to my data. I just don't know what I'm looking at in OSCAR. I'm sure TheLankyLefty is knowledgable, but I did not find his videos very helpful. At least for me.  

Also, I just slept a bit overnight without A Flex on and I got my best AHI score ever. Perhaps that's all it was. Though one sample is probably not enough to draw any conclusions.

Quite a difference from other posts vs this one with Flex off. CA count has gone down a lot; that's positive. Now that you track the data, it shows how you're doing under pressure. You have no way to know without that data if your therapy prior to now was even truly effective. I'd say try this as is another day or so and see what you get. Tell us how you feel as this is far more important than numbers.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to give an update. Ever since I turned off A-flex I've had much better AHI scores. I've had a few that got up to 6, but for most of the last week, I've been scoring between 1 and 3. 

Seems like that was the issue, though I'd like another week or two of data before I draw an ultimate conclusion.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice. Much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Equipment] Dreamstation 2 session tracking hillie16 3 493 12-04-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  In-Lab results wildly different from Watchpat saiyangod 3 575 11-06-2023, 03:05 AM
Last Post: saiyangod
Gross [Diagnosis] Wildly different PSG results DTDude 1 395 06-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,713 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,534 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  Resmed S-10 Can I use mask fit without starting a session JoeyL 7 895 08-16-2022, 05:27 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.