Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Dreamstation Auto Bipap - lost on support settings
RE: New Dreamstation Auto Bipap - lost on support settings
You asked what Min PS=0 would do,

It will do NOTHING to reduce CO2 concentration. Follow Sleepriders suggestions. None of us want to do anything to harm your wife, quite the opposite. PR machines are very slow to increase PS, thus the suggestion to increase min PS to 4.

The closest we can get to monitoring CO2 is to monitor Oxygen, so do get a pulse oximeter compatible with OSCAR.

My titration for a BiLevel was on a PR machine, It was a square wave signal and I actually had a very hard time with it. The pressure changed instantly (maybe .1 second) between inhale and exhale and not gradually but quickly. I suspect this may be what your wife felt in the hospital.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was just going by what you said earlier

"With the settings we recommended for your wife, the starting pressure will be 11.0/7.0 (IPAP/EPAP)"
Post Reply Post Reply
The key to that sentence is "starting pressure". By increasing the IPAP max, the machine is able to change pressure if and when necessary. I'm glad you called me out on it, as it is often difficult to communicate the complexity that comes with automatic or variable pressure. The starting pressure is the minimum. We give it room to adjust using the Auto BiPAP algorithm by increasing IPAP max.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there is an adjustment in there to adjust that delay time in between.  The machine must be in bi-level, not auto for that.  I just changed the settings.  When I gave it a brief test, the pressures were changing like I've thought they should. We wanted her to start the night at 11, she's comfortable at that.  So, now, I have 11.

EPAP - 20
IPAP - 7
MIN PS 4
MAX PS 5 

Camera on phone messed up right now, so I cant give picture proof (next project)... I know how to set them, just got lost and wanted the numbers, which I now have.

5 local stores, no collars that wont be too big.  We need 3 inches and all anyone has locally is 4 inch. I did find a travel pillow that we will try as a test. Better than nothing for a night or two. 

She really doesn't show all the bad symptoms form this.  Something changed a few months ago and these co2 issues started happening. We know now she has these breathing problems that can get mostly resolved.  Maybe it just as simple as more good air in, more bad air out
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2021, 07:31 PM)Russ702 Wrote: I think there is an adjustment in there to adjust that delay time in between.  The machine must be in bi-level, not auto for that.  I just changed the settings.  When I gave it a brief test, the pressures were changing like I've thought they should. We wanted her to start the night at 11, she's comfortable at that.  So, now, I have 11.

EPAP - 20
IPAP - 7
MIN PS 4
MAX PS 5 

Russ, your settings above are wrong
Min EPAP = 7
Max IPAP = 20
MIN PS 4
MAX PS 5 

Her starting pressure will be EPAP=7, IPAP=11, and go up as needed from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
For a very temp collar, try rolling a towel around a necktie (a wide something to tie). I'm sure you have the idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just when I thought I was starting to get it.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Her starting pressure will be EPAP=7, IPAP=11"

I do not have a starting pressure setting, only maximum
Post Reply Post Reply
Russ, please, let's keep this simple. You are an acting caretaker and I'm concerned you are simply not paying attention.

Go to this link https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...nual#THREE
Send an Email to Apneaboard@gmail.com
In the BODY of the email put these words: Philips-Respironics DreamStation Auto BiPAP
You will get the clinician manual for the machine.

The settings you need are:
Mode: Auto B
Min EPAP: 7.0
Max PS: 5.0
Min PS: 4.0
max IPAP: 20

Please, let's get this right. Take an image of your setup screen so we can check.

Please take a picture or your settings and post it. Let's please get this right.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

That's what I have. 

I have the clinician's book. That's what drew me here. Might be more helpful to me now that I know more than I knew when I first saw it. I'll go through it again, as well as the Oscar manual.

As far as using any of this as some sort of a baseline to show improvement of her breathing in general, what data matters?  Or is all this a simple as keeping her airway open more and her normal breathing is capable expelling enough co2, as long as it's open?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bipap VAuto Settings Help Please jonoc99 5 148 04-12-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] New to cpap, lost and confused Sophia 4 111 04-08-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 223 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 435 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 277 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,440 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 660 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.