Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Dreamstation Auto Bipap - lost on support settings
RE: New Dreamstation Auto Bipap - lost on support settings
We were told it would be a split study.

Part of the frustration is trying to treat a problem she doesn't know she has. I think her co2 builds up in her sleep, and I guess I'm most concerned about her moving the most air she can while she sleeps.  I can see the waveforms and understand them enough to see that she does stop breathing and has these issues. Or her breathing gets so shallow that it's barely effective at all.  I'm concerned that inhalation time is double the exhalation.  I don't think that's the way it's supposed to be. Those things should be quite apparent in the study.

I've read elsewhere that people have been prescribed ST machines. These doctors do have to know something to get their degrees.  I've had no problem finding articles and papers on positional apnea. I'm hoping this Dr has kept up with things and paid a little more attention in class.

Is there some place to get a total time of apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
The positional apnea that doctors are concerned about and is reported on sleep studies, are back, side, and stomach sleeping. That is not what we see.
Post Reply Post Reply
I look forward to seeing the results of this study. We can and will learn from it. I'm certain she will be very quickly converted to CPAP, followed by BiPAP. The endpoint of a typical titration is efficacy as expressed by the AHI, and sometimes SpO2 and balanced sleep stages, depending on the quality of the test. From what we already know, she will fail CPAP and quickly move to bilevel and that will move to high pressure.

My advise for the test, take her own pillow, and make the test environment as close to home-like as possible. Let it happen, and let's see what happens.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not expecting to know any results until the follow up in a month. Sleep center explains that the full study would be over 1100 pages to print. They mention a preliminary report available in a few days. Will that have what's needed?
Post Reply Post Reply
The test results might take a week or two. I don't think there's going to be 1,100 pages as a report. This sounds false. All of my studies were 6 or so pages. The summary will have a bit of info, but it'll probably lack event counts and breakdown. And if they give any resistance to providing the report, mention HIPAA law.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the most part the summary is pretty good. 1100 pages is pretty extreme, but I guess it has all the traces from the polysomnograph. Useful, but the methods and basic results are going to be in a short story. We are making progress, and any clue is going to help. The big question at the end of the study is, "did you get a successful titration?" and What were the settings?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
1100 pages would include ALL the data. Most reports should include charts and tables, and not just the summary. They are trying to not provide the report to you.
It is the charts and tables that will list all the events that were seen. All too often the summary does not contain this info.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, first thing they did during the sleep study, was remove her oxygen for who knows how long. She couldn't tell me how long that lasted.  Then, they told her she didn't have enough qualifying events.  Then they went on with the second part.  They never even once put a mask on her.

This whole damn science is quackery.  People making billions to "cure" something either hidden and completely silent, or something not producing any side effects.

I'm done
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't understand how she could possibly have insufficient events to qualify for therapy. It just defies the severe apnea we have seen in her charts. I don't understand the "went on with the second part. They never even put a mask on her". Titration cannot be done without a mask, so they quit and just let her sleep?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
That's what she said.  The just kept the electrodes on and seemed to be watching to see if something happened to do something about.

Now, I'm just stuck waiting for her to get real sick again. Doctors aren't concerned, she isn't concerned, so I just have to get on that same train.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,338 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 164 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.