Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Dreamstation Auto
New Dreamstation Auto
Hi there,

This is just a post to introduce myself. As soon as I have a week or two of data and have got somewhat used to the new equipment I will post some numbers.

I used CPAP years ago and gave up as I never got comfortable with the treatment, fortunately, the equipment has made vast improvements since then and I'm determined to persevere this time. More recently I found some relief without the machine by mouth taping. But the morning headaches and suddenly waking up gasping and with my heart racing had increased in frequency and I decided that I must try again. Let's not mention the snoring which I managed to do even with the mouth tape.

I have not done a fresh sleep study although a home study is available, however, it only assesses OSA which I thought is an incomplete picture. I am not too keen to go anywhere near a hospital right now with COVID so rampant in the UK. Should I spend the 200 Pounds on a new homestudy or wait till its safe to go into a sleep clinic? Or will I be ok without a new study?

I now have a pretty little dreamstation auto with a humidifier and the Phillips Dreamwear full mask and have done a set up on the machine having combed through this forum. 

Thank you to the developers of Oscar and to all of the knowledgeable people willing to help on this forum. It really is a wonderful resource.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Dreamstation Auto
Welcome to Apnea Board!
You probably don't need a sleep study, especially if it's coming out of your pocket, but if you have a copy of a prior study, you can post it here.   But the Apap should tell us what we need to know to be able to help.

Make sure there is a SD card in your machine while you are sleeping, and it's not necessary to wait a couple weeks to post your data.  Two or three days should work.

When your ready, just follow the directions in the link below to Optimize the daily page and then use the attachment feature to post your images here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose, I will post my data after tonight’s sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am from the UK and I agree with OpalRose no need for an in hospital sleep study you have a machine sleep with it for a few nights then post some data from OSCAR and we can advise if anything needs changing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.
You say this is a new machine. We will work with you with any machine that you have. Any chance you can exchange it for a ResMed AutoSet? ResMed's EPR (flex) implementation allows it to act as a limited BiLevel up to 3 cmw pressure support thus making it much more flexible in treatment options.

The sooner you post the sooner we can offer suggestions for improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bonjour,
I can not imagine I will be able to exchange it as it was an outright purchase and not a trial option.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to ask
We can and will work with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Bonjour,
Here are some details from last night,     I was uncertain which were most relevant.

Perhaps this may be useful as well?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I would attack the obstructive events since you can do nothing with the centrals.

Set min pressure =8. PR machines benefit from higher min settings
Set flex=2. As long as this doesn't increase centrals it should reduce obstructive events. Not really as much as a ResMed and it's EPR though. If centrals increase set flex=0

Let's see what that does.

The zoomed view shows you tossing around and settling down toward the end of the segment. Most of the centrals here are you holding your breath. Is this common? Do you have PLM?

Always include a non zoomed full night for contwxt. This should include your snore chart as that is a major driver of pressure changes on a PR machine. ⁰
Post Reply Post Reply
I did as instructed and had a much better night, thank you. I'm feeling hopeful that this may work for me, I just have to get used to the full face mask. 

I decided to mouth tape with the full face mask last night as the night before I swallowed air, not recommended at all, but I won't elaborate- too gross! I have the nasal pillow mask as well but am woken too often with a jet of air in my eyes. I find it copes less well with the high-pressure pulse and that's just annoying. Settling down with the mask is key to comfort and I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep one day in the future. But TBH I am so used to waking 5 to 6 times a night that this is already an improvement.

If I can get this AHI consistently under 5, and sleep through occasionally, I will be charmed!

I don't have PLM that I know of, but holding my breath is a problem, I know I do it when I scuba dive and have to actively remember to breathe in and out while diving. I also do it when stressed and awake. I've actually thought about hypnosis as I have never read of anything else that may have an effect.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 503 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 582 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,000 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  switched from Dreamstation to Luna II Auto wstalcup 0 505 06-05-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: wstalcup
  Optimizing Dreamstation Auto mnemon81 16 1,247 03-26-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.