Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Dreamstation-Please Help
New Dreamstation-Please Help
Just got a Dreamstation to replace an Autosense 10 that had too many issues - this beast seems more complicated than the Autosense and S9 that I had for years.

It looks like the "mask resistance" only applies to Phillips Respironics masks?  Is that correct?

What is the "Rise Time" and what is the optimal setting?  Is that like the EPR that I could never get to my liking?

Also what have folks found to be the ideal pressure range? They always set these machines 4-20.  I usually have mine 8-16 and my average pressure is 12.5-13 usually.  

Not great results with anything - AHI always 5-10, but I will never figure out how to post the sleepyhead graphs - way too complicated for me.....

Thanks for any help!  Weirdly, they included the Clinicians Manual with the machine (even though I know where to get one Smile)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Dreamstation-Please Help
no need to think about rise time.  you have a more complex machine, now. and, get flex and pressure relief.  if you are not up for really working at this, then just leave it, and ask your doctor.  I am not really suggesting this, but you started out saying you'll never figure this out.

ok.  now.  your average pressure is about 12.5, that should be your new minimum pressure.

tell us the obstructive apnea index, the hypopnea index, and the clear airway apnea index breakdown for each night you cannot get a sleepyhead report posted.

good luck.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
for flex and pressure relief, please read http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid206250

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 07:09 PM)bluemom51 Wrote: Just got a Dreamstation to replace an Autosense 10 that had too many issues - this beast seems more complicated than the Autosense and S9 that I had for years.

It looks like the "mask resistance" only applies to Phillips Respironics masks?  Is that correct?
Yep. If you are not using a PR mask, turn this off or set it to 0.

Quote:What is the "Rise Time" and what is the optimal setting?  Is that like the EPR that I could never get to my liking?
Which DreamStation do you have?  To the best of my knowledge, the only DreamStations that have Rise Time settings are the BiPAP Pro and the BiPAP Auto.

IF you have a BiPAP Pro or BiPAP Auto, you may find Rise Time much more comfortable than Resmed's EPR or the PR Flex system.  I prefer Rise Time = 3 on my BiPAP Autos (both DreamStation and my older System One).  Rise Time controls how fast the transition between EPAP and IPAP is when the beginning of the inhalation is detected. 1 is the fastest and 3 is the slowest.

Quote:Also what have folks found to be the ideal pressure range? They always set these machines 4-20.  I usually have mine 8-16 and my average pressure is 12.5-13 usually.  
Again, I don't know why there would be a Rise Time setting if this is just an APAP.  If it's a BiPAP Auto, you need to set a min EPAP, max IPAP, min PS and max PS.

Quote:Not great results with anything - AHI always 5-10, but I will never figure out how to post the sleepyhead graphs - way too complicated for me.....
It's not that complicated, but help us help you.

Is the problem with taking a screen shot?

Is the problem uploading to a site like Imgur?

Is the problem posting the link to the image on Imgur?
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have rise time, you have a bipap, leave it in default mode for now, probably 600ms.
get some sleepyhead charts up and the forum can help you work it out

have the DME set it up as per your sleep study, or is everyone guessing?

a rough adjustment is the ipap is what your cpap treatment pressure or 95% pressure was (13cm) and reduce 4cm for the epap. so it may initially be epap:9/ipap:13
or epap 9 min PS:4 max ps:15 depending what type of bipap you have
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response.  I will be jumped on and maybe kicked off the forum, but as a longtime CPAP user and reader of this forum - a few of the seasoned "experts" on the forum have an unfortunate negative reactivity to those of us that love Sleephead, try to understand all the pieces, but are "technologically challenged" in the area of comprehending the instructions for loading the data on this forum to be reviewed.  I have read it numerous times and basically want to run screaming from the room.  Many of us have incredible numbers of serious health issues, and "jumping down our throats" and making us feel like hopeless idiots (thanks, I already do) just adds to our misery.

I was just asking for help understanding the dream station settings and features - it is different than the Autosense 10 or S9 - just compare the Clinician Manuals.  I understand it better today and am now aware of what all their additional choices apply to (and most don't apply in my case).

I apologize for throwing in my continuing frustration that despite being a former Controller of a huge bank and in general, very intelligent, that reading through how to get the graphs on the forum "shuts my brain down" - it is likely due to my brain not functioning at a high level because of extremely high pain levels, serious illness, and fear of what comes next.

I don't know if it is possible, but Sleephead is amazing - would it be possible for the great minds that designed it to go to the next level and design a system that makes it much easier for CPAP users to load their data/graphs onto the forum? I will be asking my husband for help with this in the next few weeks.  

Just - please.....for all the future CPAP users that are new or confused or in so much pain their brains don't function properly.......just don't include your disparaging and sorry - Mean - remarks.  Either provide helpful or encouraging tips, or like my mother said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

I am not just referring to comments made to me (by one person) - I was somewhat horrified last night when browsing comments and seeing a few that were similar - veiled or blatant statements that we are not as smart or capable as the "experts" on this forum.  

You are right - I don't know as much as many of you in regards to Sleephead graphs/data, but that does not mean I am stupid or hopeless or worthless.  I am a human being, valued by God and my daughter and husband.  I have never been told by any of them that I am not valued because I am not a Sleepyhead expert.

Obviously, this does not apply to the majority of wonderful folks on here that are wonderfully supportive and kind - you are amazing and a blessing to all of us that are struggling.

This response was supposed to include the link to a comment by "quiescence at last" whose comments hit me hard.  However, I was also concerned about comments throughout the forum with similar put-downs.  Also I do not have a "doctor" - I've had 2 sleep studies in the past and there are no doctors anywhere near me. I have to do this on my own.  So I cannot "leave it" - I have to continue to try with whatever strength I can muster to figure this out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes posts don't come across right. Everyone does it at some point. They don't mean any disrespect it just happens. I read through the posts and what I saw was some offered advice by someone who doesn't get payed a cent to help. I don't think you'll get kicked off. But you might want to go easy on those your asking help from.

Good Luck
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2017, 11:51 AM)bluemom51 Wrote: . . . that reading through how to get the graphs on the forum "shuts my brain down" -

Please read Posting SleepyHead Charts in 5 Easy Steps.  I hope this will help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2017, 11:51 AM)bluemom51 Wrote: Thank you for your response.  I will be jumped on and maybe kicked off the forum, but as a longtime CPAP user and reader of this forum - a few of the seasoned "experts" on the forum have an unfortunate negative reactivity to those of us that love Sleephead, try to understand all the pieces, but are "technologically challenged" in the area of comprehending the instructions for loading the data on this forum to be reviewed.  I have read it numerous times and basically want to run screaming from the room.  Many of us have incredible numbers of serious health issues, and "jumping down our throats" and making us feel like hopeless idiots (thanks, I already do) just adds to our misery.

You must have us confused with another forum. We don't kick people off unless they break a rule. We also promote the use of Sleepyhead. There are many members here with links to it and instructions for it in their signatures. There's also links that have been provided to you on how to upload an image so we can view it. Here, I'll post it again. And I'll make it bold so it doesn't get lost in the rest of this post.

HOW TO TAKE A SCREENSHOT:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Screenshot
HOW TO UPLOAD THE SCREENSHOT:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
or HOW TO UPLOAD AN ATTACHMENT: (bypassing Imgur)
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments

If your "brain shuts down" and you cannot follow these, then perhaps you need to seek assistance from someone who understands computers and can show you while sitting beside you. It really cannot get any further simplified.

Quote:I was just asking for help understanding the dream station settings and features - it is different than the Autosense 10 or S9 - just compare the Clinician Manuals.  I understand it better today and am now aware of what all their additional choices apply to (and most don't apply in my case).

I apologize for throwing in my continuing frustration that despite being a former Controller of a huge bank and in general, very intelligent, that reading through how to get the graphs on the forum "shuts my brain down" - it is likely due to my brain not functioning at a high level because of extremely high pain levels, serious illness, and fear of what comes next.

In reading this thread, you've gotten fantastic advice. But that advice can go no further unless we can see the graphs. We just can't.

Imagine if the engine light on your car was on. And you asked us why. We could give you a list of reasons why it might be on, but until we can hook a car computer up to your car, we can't tell  you exactly why. Same with your Dreamstation and the graphs. We can guess, list possible reasons, but we'll never be able to provide the correct answer(s).

And please keep in mind that many of us are like you: struggling with life, illnesses, and brain fog. Patience goes both ways.

Quote:I don't know if it is possible, but Sleephead is amazing - would it be possible for the great minds that designed it to go to the next level and design a system that makes it much easier for CPAP users to load their data/graphs onto the forum? I will be asking my husband for help with this in the next few weeks.  

There is a screenshot feature built in already. I don't see how they can make it any easier.
Here's the link again on where it is:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Screenshot

Quote:Just - please.....for all the future CPAP users that are new or confused or in so much pain their brains don't function properly.......just don't include your disparaging and sorry - Mean - remarks.  Either provide helpful or encouraging tips, or like my mother said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

In reading over this thread, I don't see where anyone has been rude to you. If you or anyone else are experiencing harassment from another forum member, please let me or another Moderator know through a PM. Here's the link to contact me via PM:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/private...end&uid=32

If the harassment was from another thread, then please don't bring it up here. We can't help you if you bury your need under other stuff that doesn't pertain to the current question(s).

Have you read through the How To pages of the Member Help Forum?
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-HOW-DO-I
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bluemon51,

Your situation reminds me of an obstacle I faced in college math, an apparently insurmountable one called calculus. High school students now deal with it routinely but suxty five years ago that was not the case. I found a tutor who could speak my language and help me finally see the light. What you might do is back away from this thing for a little while and give yourself a break. From your initial post am I correct in understanding that you have already downloaded SleepyHead to your computer and can look at some graphs and data? Your AHI of five to ten isn't great nor is it terrible so you can afford to take some time to work through the posting of data.

My suggestion would be to find someone to assist you in the process. It need not be a member of this forum or for that matter, even someone who is familiar with sleep apnea (I am fortunate  to have daughter in laws and grandchildren to bail me out) to help you work through this, someone with patience and a little time to spare. It may cost you a pizza or two but it will be worth it.

I believe you can get through this so hang in there and don't give up.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,710 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,300 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.