Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Dreamstation-Please Help
RE: New Dreamstation-Please Help
PaulAO2 commented:

In reading over this thread, I don't see where anyone has been rude to you. If you or anyone else are experiencing harassment from another forum member, please let me or another Moderator know through a PM.

@bluemom51 and @PAO2 - it is clear that my first response (in this thread) was what really disgusted our friend.  I have left it in it's original form to ensure my choice of words remain as an example of what not to do.

my original reading was that the blue picked up a new and highly complex machine that she did not have any hope of understanding.  now, I see that sleepyhead was her subject.  I think sleepyhead is easier than the machine she has, but whatever is the concern this forum does aim to help, and has helped.

@blue - a bunch of logical and helpful aid has been dispensed.  I am sorry my statements caused the distress they did, and hope you find a way to make the current machine work well for you. As you have pointed out, the 5 copies of Airsense 10 have not.

reviewing the posts you have made in the past couple years, I now have a better sense of where you are at.  of course, there is a gap between Feb of 2016 and the present which we wonder what went on during that period.  Others on this thread wonder out-loud what therapy and model of Dreamstation you have.  I hope you can update us on this.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Stan for your kind words. I actually took every advanced calculus course I could in college. Loved it. I will keep trying. Have just struggled last 3 years with serious illness and meds that make your brain foggy. Again, you are so nice. Cheered me up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was not disgusted with any comment. Just tried to mention that some words come across as harsh sometimes. I purchased a Dreamststion Auto which replaced an Autosense 10 that lost its mind and could not hold pressure. Unusual I know. I have acquired several serious autoimmune issues and require meds that make your brain foggy to put it mildly. I also face replacing my Breeze mask and have tried many others with no success so that is stressful. 

A response from the moderator sadly reinforced my feelings about some of the comments. She stated Twice that loading the graphs "could not be simpler".  I've been around awhile. Mid sixties. By definition when that is said, the recipient hears "if you cannot understand the simplest thing, you are stupid and you really should just give up and go away and leave us alone". To ensure I was not being sensitive I asked friends what they would think if that was said to them, and they shared my perception. 

We are all different and I was only hoping to inform the "experts" that many of us are quite lost  sometimes with the machine or mask or Sleephead and just need to hear "you can do this" "keep trying" "we will help" and I have seen thousands of these comments over the years. I was just surprised when I read many more yesterday, that there were a few that seemed harsh or dismissive etc. in previous years I could not remember seeing that

I will stop now. Sorry for the inconvenience. If I figure the graphs out some day I will post and if no one comments that's ok too.
Post Reply Post Reply
bluemom51,

I am sorry that you are feeling intimidated by the technical aspects of posting images. But we really are trying to help you.

You haven't answered my first question: Is your DreamStation a DreamStation BiPAP Auto or is it a DreamStation CPAP Auto? That's an important question and because you brought up Rise Time, it's an important one to clear up for us.

Next, many of us old hands are very reluctant to give people advice about what settings to use on their machines without looking at some data. Giving advice with no data is flying blind, and it's easy for us to give advice that badly backfires when the advice is based on little or no data.

Since reading all the instructions on posting images is overwhelming you, please read the questions I've written below and answer them. They're yes/no questions, and it's fine if you answer every single one of them with No. I really do want to tease out where you are at in the multistep process for posting an image to the forum, and if you are getting lost at the very beginning of the process that's fine---we can start there. If I know what the first step that makes no sense to you is, I can give you a lot of additional help beyond the standard instructions.

So please answer these questions so that I might be able to more effectively help you:

1) Do you know how to make a screenshot on your computer? (This was actually the hardest part of the process for me to learn.)

2) Do you know how to create an Imgur account?

3) Do you know how to upload an image to Imgur?

4) Do you know how to link an image on Imgur to a post on the forum?

5) Do you know which data to post on the forum?

As I said, I'm happy to step you through each step with as much time as needed on each step, but I need to know where to start.

Finally I want to end with a real story from my own life. I'm a 59 year old math professor. Back when I was in graduate school, my husband, the computer scientist, talked me into taking a course on Computer Algebra Systems. The first day, the two profs for the class went over a bunch of technical stuff about how we were supposed to turn the machines on and off and how we were to log in; and they also mentioned the computers in the lab we were using ran on Unix.

I knew almost nothing about computers at the time. I went home and ask my husband in earnest, "Where does the Unix go when you turn the machine off?" and he burst out laughing. He couldn't help himself, and he didn't mean to hurt my feelings, but it did.

I wound up asking a good friend of ours for help with the computers in that class because Cameron didn't laugh at my question, although he was able to explain to me why my husband laughed at it. Oddly enough, Cameron's wife was also in the class and she also knew next to nothing about computers at the time. But she couldn't stand getting help from Cameron, and much preferred asking my husband when she was dealing with computer questions.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi - thanks for your comments - I had just asked a couple of questions about the machine settings like "rise", and made an offhand comment about my frustration with not having the concentration right now to figure out how to post Sleepyhead graphs in the past. I just got a Dreamstation Auto and will use it for 3-4 weeks and then get my husband or a friend to help me follow the instructions everyone has posted. I used the machine for the first time last night and like it very much. To me, it is "softer" than the ResMed machines - the airflow doesn't seem as strong or overbearing, again, just to me. My AHI was about 6 - not horrible and not wonderful. I am also having to switch from the Breeze mask that I have used for about 10 years as it is discontinued. So after some time with the new machine and a new mask, I will find someone that can post some data/graphs so I can fine-tune my nightly experience. I do not know how to do any of the things listed in your questions, but I will get there. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
@RobySue Those are great questions. I love that Sleepyhead makes the screenshot so simple. I had the hardest time finding where the screenshot went, so I could drag it over to Imgur. The process *is* simple, once you've done it a few times.

@Blue I've got brain fog and anxiety, so I totally get how crippling it is. The directions ARE pretty darn simple, but brain fog can also be very thick and cumbersome.

When I learned how to post a screenshot, I did each step over the course of days. But I agree with others' suggestions, too - of asking a friend, or a kid, or someone to walk through it for you.

I hope you like your new machine. I like my DreamStation. Since I don't have a Resmed, I don't know how to answer your questions regarding how they're different.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2017, 06:13 PM)bluemom51 Wrote: Hi - thanks for your comments - I had just asked a couple of questions about the machine settings like "rise", and made an offhand comment about my frustration with not having the concentration right now to figure out how to post Sleepyhead graphs in the past.  I just got a Dreamstation Auto
A DreamStation Auto CPAP should not have a Rise Time setting.

A DreamStation Auto BiPAP does have a Rise Time setting.

Which machine do you have?

Quote:To me, it is "softer" than the ResMed machines - the airflow doesn't seem as strong or overbearing, again, just to me.
I personally like the PR auto algorithms better than the Resmed algorithms.

Quote:I do not know how to do any of the things listed in your questions, but I will get there.  Thank you.
The starting point is learning how to take a screenshot. Do you use a PC or a Mac? And do you use SleepyHead?
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
As you say, I think it's more of being overwhelmed and frustrated with it all. To make it as clear as possible for those offering support. I think that it's very good that you are giving yourself a couple of weeks to work it out.
Take the water chamber out of the machine...On the bottom of the machine is the model number.. post the model number here and go to the link at the top of the page and get the clinical manual for your model.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
bluemom51,

I suggest you take a deep breath and calm down a bit.  Please don't impugn the motives nor make false accusations against those kind folks here in this thread who are only trying to help you.  A feigned martyr complex will get you nowhere - if you want help, don't bite the hand that is trying to help you.   Seriously.

Now, if you're willing to answer the questions and follow the advice folks have given in this thread, then let's all proceed calmly and with patience towards one another, okay?

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Totally agree with SuperSleeper. Why are you being overly sensitive? Sometimes to help ourselves, we need to do some work. You probably can't find a better place than here to help you with your problems. Simple questions were asked and mostly totally ignored by you.

Posting Sleepyhead Charts on Imgur isn't rocket science. Clear instructions given below:

Posting SleepyHead Charts in 5 Easy Steps
Robysue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead
Apnea Helpful Tips

Please help us to help you.   Okay ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,711 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,301 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.