Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Dreamstation User Getting Lots of Breathing Not Detected Events
New Dreamstation User Getting Lots of Breathing Not Detected Events
Hi All,

I'm a week into having my Dreamstation CPAP and have been having a mixed bag of results with the thing.  Some nights it tracks all night long, and others (like last night) it tracks a bunch of BND events and then shuts off.  This has happened about half the nights so far.  I usually wake up and can't breathe properly when the machine turns off but last night I made it through the night with my mask on, thinking I had got a night of good results only to try to turn the machine off to find out it was already off!  Very frustrating!  

What would cause these events to be triggered like this?  My original therapy settings on the Dreamstation are Auto Min of 6, Auto Max of 16, Flex of 1.  I reduced the Max to 8 last night to see if I could get through the night without feeling like I was being blown up like a balloon!  

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Dreamstation User Getting Lots of Breathing Not Detected Events
Could be the power supply.  Or cord.  Or insertion not completely home.

Could be a heat problem that cycles components.  It's defective if so.

Machine's record in the example you posted shows lots of leakage.  Tons of it.  Are you getting blow-by around your mask?  Your hoses are not perforated and they mate properly at connections?

The record shows incessant snoring.  I don't know what that does to the machine's logic, but it ain't doin' you no good.

Do you have a coach or supplier who has offered to monitor your progress?  What do they say?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that my mask is leaking.  I just ran a leak test and am getting lots of leaks out by my nose.  I'm going to go back to where I bought the CPAP from and see if I can get a better fitting mask!
Post Reply Post Reply
The lot's of leaks, in this case, is ok for a PR machine, now if this was a Resmed, that's a different story.
Snoring is an element that increases pressure, and yours went to the allowed max of 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some charts I would like to see to better define what happened.
Events, Flow Rate, tidal volume, minute vent and Respiration rate.

Why? Except for when you initially started your flow rate looks small, then it drops to essentially nothing, then DNB shows.  AND you report this as erratic behavior.

A full night, and a 3 minute view of the drop going into the 1st DNB.  

I'm expecting this to be an error in the flow sensor. proving it . . . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the mask sizing guide and the size the place I got it from put me in was a small, but when using the sizing guide, my nose is definitely a medium and almost a large! So I need to go back and get that fixed up I think!

The snoring thing is of interest - that's what has driven my wife crazy in the past, and I was hoping this treatment was going to help with that! When I look at the Oscar graphs, so there be no snoring events at all? And what's the difference between VS1 and VS2?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation supports Auto On and Auto Off. They can be separately enabled/disabled in the Provider menus. I haven't found the Auto Off to be very sensitive or useful - I always end up shutting the machine off manually before it detects that the mask is off. However, I suppose a severe leak could trick it into shutting off while you are still using the mask. Personally, I don't see any value in having this feature enabled.

What kind of mask are you using, and are you using any kind of cervical collar? If you are using a nasal or pillow mask, you could be letting your mouth open in your sleep. This will allow the pressure to leak out through your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,130 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 352 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 178 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.