Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New First AHI 0.0
RE: New First AHI 0.0
Yep, I agree that 0.0 isn't always attainable and usually not night by night. With me, when I got 0.0 quite a bit, I was concerned there was a problem (I also unplugged my machine as PaulaO2 mentions). For me, I am glad if I am under 5 and that I had very little leaks and NO AIR BLOWING IN MY EYES and I didn't wake up every 2 hours. To me, that is successful along with feeling rested the next day, not having to take a nap among a few other things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lukie, I did not mean to take away from your achievement. The closest I've ever come was a a few .7 here and there.

We ought to give out gold stars or something for y'all who make it. I know, cyber brownies! Here, have one. No calories.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the cyber brownie. Last night I was 0.2 for 9 hours. Thankfully the data is not stuck at 0.0. My numbers are low because my AHI during the sleep study was only 7.2 I have mild sleep apnea as long as I stay on my side. If I lie on my back that is trouble. I can't breathe on my back. They said they could not give me an optimal pressure because I did not sleep long enough in a supine position. But if I start out on my back I am soon back on the side. So they left the machine on 6-16 because occasionally I will jack up the pressures during the night. The doc didn't want to up the start pressure to 8 because I was having a lot of centrals. My biggest issue was that hyponeas were dropping my O2 levels at night. I'd stop breathing for up to a minute.
My first o2 study recommended night time O2 but I told my doc what good is it to give me o2 if my throat is closed off. She agreed and ordered the sleep study. My 02 still drops but not as far so I don't qualify for o2 if I wear my cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you're doing well, and tolerating mask and machine? Do you think it is a habit for you yet?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh yes. I can't sleep without it. I am one of those lucky ones who put the masks on and never looked back. I did try several and settled on a nasal mask with chinstrap. Today's AHI 0.5 I don't lie down without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 11:45 AM)Lukie Wrote: My first o2 study recommended night time O2 but I told my doc what good is it to give me o2 if my throat is closed off.

Actually, it has been shown in studies that O2 supplementation can reduce the number of centrals, if central apneas are the problem.

But it is also important to avoid too much O2 (too high of an SpO2). I think current medical recommendations are for SpO2 between 94-96 as ideal, or perhaps in the low 90's if asleep.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine is around 90 during sleep but Medicare won't pay for suppementation unless it is lower than that. So I'm keeping an eye on it. I feel much better on APAP and my AHI is usually less than 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 11:45 AM)Lukie Wrote: Thanks for the cyber brownie.

now if we could get some cyber chocolate and coconut fudge or peanut butter fudge that would be epic and just over the top
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lukie,
I know what you mean, I never lay down without using my CPAP machine either. I rarely take naps but if I do take one, the mask and machine goes on.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Lukie,

Excellent job....that's the ultimate goal that is seldom ever seen. I'm fairly lucky that I seem to be hanging in there in the sub-1 club (other than my short naps, which tent to bump me up considerably with the difference between sleep breathing and going to sleep breathing).

Keep up whatever you're doing....it sounds like it is working Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.