Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Guy, Central Sleep Apnea, wrong machine?
RE: New Guy, Central Sleep Apnea, wrong machine?
If you have insurance, I would go for a sleep study, the odds are you will go home with an ASV, ST or a/i vaps. If you are self funded and have a stable lung health, the ASV is normally the lower cost of the 3 and may do the job. I would at least get medical advice on your decision. There are no Ti, rise time and trigger adjustment, they are fixed and factory set on the ASV
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a sleep study done, in a lab. 2 actually, the first to determine that I had the sleep apnea, 20ahi central. Then I went back for the 2nd, mask fitting/titration. We tried Cpap, and i failed miserably, because it triggered the Centrals like crazy. Then after fiddling with the settings for an hour or so, (by the lab tech) I passed out for the last 42 minutes of the test, with almost 0 ahi, so they called that a success. The problem is that even with my current data, It's almost identical, even with these settings of Epap 4 and ipap 10. I have a ton of events, then I'm usually "ok" for an hour or so. It's possible that's just the timing in my sleep that the lab 'discovered their settings'. So my dr. just copy and pasted the lab techs results/findings, the lab tech told me everything he did.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take your SD card to your sleep doctor, It should be proof enough that you aren't being treated and need more investigation, there is no debate with 20 an hour. (another machine with back up breathing)

just to confirm, you haven't changed meds to something that can suppress the nervous system?
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome. That's the plan then. I was supposed to have a follow up (SIDE BAR...this pisses me off, Since i started this whole thing and had my initial appointment with the doctor in July, i've never actually spoken with him about this...it's always been nurses calling me to schedule studies, etc. and them saying 'you'll be hearing from a distributor for your machine etc... i haven't actually spoken to the doctor at all since he made fun of me for thinking i had central sleep apnea...now I'm P*ssed again. But I'm in the school of thought that nobody looks out for you but you, so it makes me glad that i came here and found you guys.)   side bar over....  I am supposed to have a followup appointment in aobut 10 days, but im not gonna wait that long. Theres no way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea from ajack to use the machine data; however if you were diagnosed with central apnea to begin with, then your "doctor" making the prescriptions is clueless. ASV is absolutely the best solution. If you can get the script, then Supplier #2 provides some significantly discounted machines. Ask about the Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt and Aircurve 10 ASV. These machines will cost about $4000 USD new at an online supplier. I have seen them purchased for $1600 to $2100 from Amazon and Craigslist suppliers new, and for as little as $800 used on Craigslist. The retail of these machines from a DME under insurance can be $5000-$6000. Just FYI.

While lower pressure support will not solve your central apnea, it will generically improve your results. It is a stop-gap measure that can get you through to ASV. Your bilevel machine does not have a backup rate, so when you have a central apena, it just loiters on the EPAP pressure and waits for you to take a breath. The high pressure support washes out CO2 and causes higher central apnea. So this is the worst of all scenarios. By reducing pressure support, or even using CPAP pressure, you reduce the number of central apnea. It's an improvement, not a cure. With ASV, when a central apnea occurs, the machine provides pressure support to inflate your lungs, even if you don't make respiratory effort. It targets your last 3-minutes of "minute-vent" or normal respiratory flow, so this ventilation feels normal. ASV is your solution for central apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Boodmaster,

Just FYI, I meditate regularly in various ways, not too much yoga anymore, and deal with centrals. I use a gently used Resmed Aircurve S10 ASV that I self-funded from Supplier #2 (see Supplier List at top of page). I previously used Respironics bipap auto sv advanced for years. I don't even recall the last time I saw a central.  My respiration rate at night according to sleepyhead is generally 12-14, so while my resting and meditating BPM is much slower it doesn't seem to affect sleeping rate or centrals.

ct
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate all of everyone’s info. It’s been so hard to even get through the days. I get so fuzzy and exhausted and emotional, it’s insane. My goal is definitely to get on ASV asap. Since my insurance is paying for the resmed, I can’t  imagine it taking any less than another few months at least to move forward. They’ll wanna schedule another study, $$, results take 2-3 weeks, schedule insurance call, schedule distributor. I’d much rather take the financial hit and get a used one than wait. 

I’m glad to hear about meditation not appearing to be affecting CSA. I tend to forget to breathe sometimes even at rest the mixing desk, on the couch, computer, etc.  Since I’ve started doing yoga and meditation again I’ve noticed my scores have been worse, but I am super stressed from my business. 

If I was going to order a used ASV  online, would the prescription need to be specifically for an ASV or will the copy of the prescription I have for my current machine suffice?

Sorry @ajack I missed your last question, no I don’t take any medications. I recently quit caffeine about a week ago when I noticed my symptoms getting worse. No meds of any kind. Just a daily morning For Him vitamin.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even if you self fund an ASV, I would still have further medical investigation. This sudden onset would worry me and I'd want it looked further into. I've also messaged you about an ASV that I would enquire about, where the price could be considered even for short term.
Post Reply Post Reply
I called my respiratory therapist this morning at my drs office. He looked at my data and told me to come in immediately. They said I have one of the worst cases of central sleep apnea they’ve seen at their office. I’m set for another sleep study *TONIGHT*. They said they couldn’t believe that they put me on BiPAP therapy instead of Auto ASV. It’s nuts. I am super grateful for the quick response. I’m hoping to get on the machine immediately. I feel like total sh*t. 35ahi the other night and totally kicking my ass. So now I’m Sitting in the waitin room of their satellite office to see the Dr today, required before the study tonight. Crazy. But I’m glad to see that my concerns and complaints seem justified. Nobody deserves to feel like this.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a brilliant outcome..just one thing, make sure you get an echocardiogram and check you HFrEF. It should be a top priority before you go on an ASV long term
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,524 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.