Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Guy, Central Sleep Apnea, wrong machine?
RE: New Guy, Central Sleep Apnea, wrong machine?
(12-25-2017, 09:27 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Boodmaster, I noticed your mean respiration rate is 8 point something. This might be part of the problem, as an ASV machine will try to keep you breathing within prescribed limits, and will give you an extra nudge if you fall below those limits. I don't have the reference to hand, but I seem to remember the lower limit for a Resmed ASV is 8 bpm. 

As far as I am aware, there is no way to adjust this on your machine. 

This may be exactly the issue I’m having. Because I slow my breathin down as far as I can tell when I fall asleep. So I’m assuming it dips down below the threshold (obviously) a significant amount of time. So if there’s no timer or adjustment, is there any other way of figuring a way to adjust the level or time it take? That seems like an important piece of tech to be missing from a machine like this. ? backup rate timer
Post Reply Post Reply
The philips has adjustment, you may need to swap over if you can't get this working for you.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was way easier than the previous few nights. I think it has to do with the fact that i literally HAD TIME to actually sleep.... I forget how stressful the holidays can be. Last night does show an AHI of 5, but they're all Hypopnea, and most of them, literally almost all of them, seem to only be when there is a leak, or there are decent breaths around it. That makes me feel like they shouldn't necessarily be counted...which is fine. To combat the leak, (which are definitely coming out of my mouth)  i spoke with the rep of my distribution company, they are sending me a full-face mask in the mail, so that should be coming in by Tuesday. That should help with things. I've attached a picture of a good portion of the hypopneas around the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure if i should start a new thread about this, but something that I've noticed over the last few years, and it seems to happen when I'm particularly exhausted, is as the night comes to a close or I start getting tired, more exhausted than usual, I find myself breathless. Not anything anxiety related, but I find myself having to pull breaths harder. When I put on a breathe right strip, it actually helps. I can't tell if my respiratory rate is starting to settle down because I'm exhausted, or what. It isn't wheezing or anything like asthma. I do have particularly horrendous posture. Sometimes just sitting up straight with better posture kinda 'resets' it, pulling in more air, but i'm not sure if it's because i'm aware of it, or if it's central apnea kicking in etc. I've had times before when I've straight up had central apnea just sitting on the couch at night getting tired, as I focus on the computer or tv. It doesn't happen all the time, but I was reminded of it tonight just kinda zoning out / spacing out while washing the dishes. I think my respiratory rate falls and i almost have like a waking/walking hypopnea or something. It definitely happened for the majority of the day after every one of the titration studies. It usually causes intense yawning, to the point of yawning 1-2 times a minute for a good half hour. I *have* been running around cleaning all day, so it could just be exhaustion. I try to stay full, as well. I tend to get low blood sugar and bottom out pretty bad, low blood pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Boodmaster,

I don't have all the same health issues as you, but we share the central apnea diagnosis. And, surprise, I have had episodes where I was daydreaming while sitting on the sofa this spring and felt myself stop breathing and then the mental alarm went off that I needed to BREATHE. So I have the T-shirt there.

The good news on that? Since my ASV therapy began 3 months ago, not one single episode of the awake status version of a central apnea. Stick with the therapy as best as you're able, it does pay off. It took me nearly 3 consistent months to feel the positive effects of ASV use. No attempt to discourage you, but it will take time to reverse the situation, but be certain it DOES get reversed.

Safe and Happy New Year to ya,
Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2017, 11:02 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Hi Boodmaster,

I don't have all the same health issues as you, but we share the central apnea diagnosis. And, surprise, I have had episodes where I was daydreaming while sitting on the sofa this spring and felt myself stop breathing and then the mental alarm went off that I needed to BREATHE. So I have the T-shirt there.

The good news on that? Since my ASV therapy began 3 months ago, not one single episode of the awake status version of a central apnea. Stick with the therapy as best as you're able, it does pay off. It took me nearly 3 consistent months to feel the positive effects of ASV use. No attempt to discourage you, but it will take time to reverse the situation, but be certain it DOES get reversed.

Safe and Happy New Year to ya,
Dave
lots-o-coffee

Dave it’s not discouraging in the slightest...it’s inspiring and exactly what I needed to read. It gives me hope and makes me excited about the future. I appreciate it!
Rick
Post Reply Post Reply
Boodmaster, my experience has been very similar to Dave's. I liken the ResMed ASV to getting used to a new dance partner (and one who occasionally likes to grab the lead).

I found the ASV would (initially) try to force air/breaths at the worst possible moment of sleep transition, and that would disrupt that transition.

But, in part, from using the "blowback technique Dave explained above and from the machine (and I) learning to adapt to one another, I soon fell into a grove with the ASV.

I'm about 2.5 months in my ASV. Any struggles over who will take the lead are pretty much over. I'm getting the first refreshing sleep that I've had in memory. ASV has made a world of difference for me.

My advice is to hang in there. The machine does seem to learn and I think some adapting takes place on both sides of this "relationship."

Best,

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2017, 02:55 PM)Spy Car Wrote: Boodmaster, my experience has been very similar to Dave's. I liken the ResMed ASV to getting used to a new dance partner (and one who occasionally likes to grab the lead).

I found the ASV would (initially) try to force air/breaths at the worst possible moment of sleep transition, and that would disrupt that transition.

But, in part, from using the "blowback technique Dave explained above and from the machine (and I) learning to adapt to one another, I soon fell into a grove with the ASV.

I'm about 2.5 months in my ASV. Any struggles over who will take the lead are pretty much over. I'm getting the first refreshing sleep that I've had in memory. ASV has made a world of difference for me.

My advice is to hang in there. The machine does seem to learn and I think some adapting takes place on both sides of this "relationship."

Best,

Bill

This is perfect, and again exactly what I needed to read. Last night I had it on for about 2 hours solid, woke up for water and the bathroom, and while waiting for some of the gas pains to ...”pass”, fell back asleep without it. I felt great after the 2 hours....I felt horrible after the rest of the night without it. Bleh! But I’m noticing that it IS getting easier each night, even with just 2-4 hours usage. I had no problems with keeping BiPAP on for hours and hours, for some reason this one is defintiely a steeper learning curve. I’m genuinely thrilled to see people getting relief from it in suck a short time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I noticed the “clicking” in my stomach as the air pressure was pushing its way past the esophagus opening and into my stomach and then causing the auto-belch. I think the overall pressure is just *BARELY* too much. Would I be better off adjusting which (?) parameter, or will my body get used to it? I’m waking up everynight 2-3 hours in just fulllllll of gas. To the point where I just lay there in the fetal position in pain until it passes....and by then I’ve fallen asleep without the mask again.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is giving enough pressure it needs to get the air in your lungs. you can reduce the max PS, but it will impact on your treatment. But it would be better than not using the machine. Start dialling back on the max PS and get some charts up to see the flow rate, minute vent and tidal volume effect.

this youtube guy has some ideas ..search New Fixing and Preventing Aerophagia Gas in Stomach with CPAP
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 84 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 1 77 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I Think Im Doing This All Wrong DudleyDoRight 9 209 Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 316 Yesterday, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,987 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 144 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,706 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.