Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Guy, Central Sleep Apnea, wrong machine?
RE: New Guy, Central Sleep Apnea, wrong machine?
What is a good machine to clean your cpak or just wash it?

cfcooney
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2017, 12:05 AM)ajack Wrote:  Start dialling back on the max PS and get some charts up to see the flow rate, minute vent and tidal volume effect.

I’m assuming the max PS is the max for the “surprise blasts” when I quit breathing? Those are the ones that are pushing a bit too far. They had it at 15 when I started. I pushed it back, and slowly been going up 1 each night. It’s on 13 now. My max epap is the same. That doesn’t seem right and I think I’m confusing myself. 

Min epap6
Max epap 15. ->Now 13
Min PS 4
Max Ps 15 . -> now 13 (but still too high)

Should I have the max epap follow the max PS? I don’t know where I got that notion.

I’m also gonna raise the minimum epap to 7, like you suggested, but will having a higher min epap cause more centrals? Wouldn’t that make it more similar to Cpap (in that it’s bringing the 2 pressures closer together, which defintiely aggravates centrals. I failed the cpap test SPECTACULARLY)
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm guessing..this is just to take onboard and make your own mind up with the help of your doctor.

To me, It's better to use a machine at 50% effective, than not use a machine at all. Till the gas is resolved and you keep the mask on. You had min PS 2 when I suggested 6 as a min epap? I'd also try epap6 as a max. it is your median pressure, half are above and half are below.

If I had to choke it down for CA.
I would reduce my epap till I had UA/H of 6AHI, bad, but acceptable.
I would try epap min 6 max epap6, you are probably going to get some UA/H for now. see how many you get.

Min PS, lets use 2cm and max PS 8. You are going to have to zoom in and find CA events and see how they are treated. Do you have one of the cheap recording pso2 meters? That will help too. one of the suppliers here can get a cms50f to you quick, $100? ebay will take time.

If you still have gas at epap6 ps 8, = 14cm .. try epap5 ps8 = 13cm etc. until the UA/H are too high or the gas is acceptable.

did you watch the video where the guy said to do the opposite of the collar and tuck your chin down for gas? it seems it closes the swallow valve????
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2017, 12:08 AM)cfcooney Wrote: What is a good machine to clean your cpak or just wash it?

cfcooney

Hello, cfcooney. Welcome to the board.

I use warm water and a mild dish washing soap to clean mine.

You will get more answers to your question if you start a new thread. More people will see it that way. Just follow the instructions here. How to Start a New Thread.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ajack,
I must have went to bed right before your last post. I did watch the video. I’ve tried up, down, chin tuck, etc. as you mentioned in your previous comments hopefully the gas will resolve itself. I need to just try and get used to it. It’s just insane how long it’s taken. BiPAP I was ready to go with no issues after night 2. I wasn’t expecting such a steep learning curve.

Can you recommend the reader? I’m 100% new to that.

I noticed something odd and weird This morning when I woke up. I had the same issue last night as usual. After 2-3 hours, woke up with gas and then fell asleep with the machine off waiting for it to pass. Typical but I’m getting used to everything.. I woke up this morning and had some time before working, so I put th machine on while laying in bed just doing some computer work. Reason being is that I found myself feeling short of breath, which is almost the daytime central or daytime hypopnea that I feel like I get when I’m focused or zoning out. So I just laying here. Tired and exhausted and , not necessarily struggling to breathe, but kinda struggling to pull the “quality” air into my lungs.

So I put the ASV on and was sitting up to do computer work. I was stunned at how many times the ASV auto breath was firing. It seems like every few seconds it was going off on its own. It seems obvious that my respiration rate is weirdly low. I started feeling better fairly instantly, like I was getting the air.
So here’s the weird part, after a bit, maybe 30-40 minutes, I noticed I started getting the numb/tingles in my hands. No issue, usually I do when holding a book or holding my phone up. But I was definitely more like 45 degree angle, not laying flat. My hands went from circulation numb (normal) to hardcore tingle numb, like when you have a hyperventilating panic attack. Went to my toes too. So I looked over at the machine and it defintiely was exhaling 6 but inhaling up to 13-14, which I feel was pretty massive. I think the machine was giving me the forced breaths every time for the last few minutes. I took the machine off and just sat here for a bit and now my hands and fingers are going back to normal. It was like Hyperventilating but normal rate breathing. I’m to pull the data and post the last bit here.

My settings for last night and this morning:
I put max epap back to 15, brought min ps from 4 down to 3, and brought down max pressure from 13 down to 10. I defintiely felt a difference overall

Min 6
Max 15 (from 13)
Min PS 3 (from 4)
Max ps 10 (from 13)

I think bringing down the min PS was a bit noticeable to the point where I almost feel like it may have been too drastic of a change. The max pressure down helped tremendously, but I wanna make sure things are balanced.
Post Reply Post Reply
12/29/17 Night time data 1 + 2

https://imgur.com/gallery/4J0Fc p1
https://imgur.com/a/YpkEm p2

12/30/17 Daytime / Morning 1+2

https://imgur.com/a/EkzIg p1
https://imgur.com/a/tUhGc p2
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks phenomenal. If you're trying to keep pressure to a minimum an EPAP range of 6-8 would cover it. Your PS 3-10 looks very good. Most people need from 8-12 cm to trigger a breath during a central, and you're right in the sweet spot. You could perhaps decrease PS Max, but this looks really good in every respect to me. These are actually pretty common settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2017, 01:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: That looks phenomenal.  If you're trying to keep pressure to a minimum an EPAP range of 6-8 would cover it.  Your PS 3-10 looks very good.  Most people need from 8-12 cm to trigger a breath during a central, and you're right in the sweet spot.  You could perhaps decrease PS Max, but this looks really good in every respect to me.  These are actually pretty common settings.

Well *that* makes me feel better....hahah, I feel like i shouldn't be complaining *AT ALL*, considering just a few weeks ago I was at critical central ~ 30ahi.... https://imgur.com/gallery/a81nx.

I know we all have our share of difficulties, I have a newborn, I'm opening a business, my wife is always working on her gig, so it's me and my son everywhere for now... and trying to deal with the ASV, so I really feel like I have enough on my plate without dealing with apnea...but I'm trying to stay positive, as far as I know I have no health issues at all, neither does my beautiful boy, we're opening up an amazing business, my wife is unbelievably supportive,  and I finally have the machine that is going to help my apnea, so I'm super grateful. My numbers look great, I know that for sure. And everyday i do a bit more research so I can understand the full extent of sleepyhead...christ i just realized this morning what '95%' meant....   Oh-jeez   So I just need to get back out there, exercising again and getting my sh*t together. It's been super stressful dealing with all this stuff, trying to get 'the quick fix', but after seeing everyones responses, it's pretty clear that it's absolutely going to take time. I just get freaked out because nobody in my family has anything like this, nor friends or anyone. And it's obvious to me that my medical group is fairly retarded when it comes to this stuff.  It's just been up to me to get it fixed and 'dialed in', so I get a little overworked. I never had to deal with all the crazy gas with the bipap but a handful of times, until the ASV, now it's every single night, Full face mask should be here hopefully within the next few days depending on the mail. That should help. I'm used to fixing things myself, from the house to cars, etc. But a respirator / ventilation-type machine definitely bugs me out. My health has always freaked me out, because of the fact that it's taken so long to figure out what was wrong with me - the apnea. Everywhere i turned, all the doctors everywhere could never find anything, blood sugar, diabetes, neuro, hormonal, etc. I just chalked it up to depression/stress, even though things are literally always awesome. Anyway...i just wanna say i really do appreciate everyones support and help with this. It's been a pain in the ass, but y'all have made it insanely easier. I'm gonna keep scouring away through the forums and data and keep plugging.  .
Post Reply Post Reply
Boodmaster, the gas and bloating comes from the air pressure becoming high enough to overcome the Lower Esophageal Sphincter muscle (LES). This is the gateway to the stomach and prevents things from rising, as well as preventing air from entering. You can research that subject pretty easily. There are both diets and exercises that target strengthening that seal, and therapies to prevent the LES from being weakened by GERD and other factors. I don't want to pile stuff on, but you have solved the apnea and ASV problem, now focus on what you can do with the LES and preventing the bloating. Here is a starting point: https://www.google.com/search? Keep in mind, a number of members here have simply adapted and the problem went away spontaneously.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHB...803iWK8gTQ
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks positive there. Progress is always positive and it builds up. Tackle the next item and keep going. If you ever feel like you're going backwards, recall the positives, then find something you can beat now and successes will build again. Kudos on the success. Happy New Year. Cool

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,416 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 125 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,671 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,577 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 231 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 218 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 126 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.