Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Guy! High AHI
RE: New Guy! High AHI
Thank you. What's odd is that my bi-level titration study eliminated CA's at 10/6. I'm curious why the VAuto machine produced so many centrals. Wouldn't treatment induced CAs show up in both cases?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2019, 12:30 PM)dahornor Wrote: Thank you.  What's odd is that my bi-level titration study eliminated CA's at 10/6.  I'm curious why the VAuto machine produced so many centrals.  Wouldn't treatment induced CAs show up in both cases?

theoretically yes.  But Centrals are consistently inconsistent and during titration settings are only trialed for brief periods of time.  It could have been easily missed.
Post Reply Post Reply
O.k. Thanks. That makes sense. As I recall, I didn't sleep that much on the night of my BiPAP titration. Probably not enough data to "catch" the CAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have seen many cases of individuals being titrated to bielvel therapy with "efficacy" demonstrated at a particular pressure(s). When we examine the lab results we can see that there are usually lots of apnea on both sides of that titration pressure. Invariably the person fails when they are dispensed the machine.

There is a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV in the Phoenix Craigslist for $525. You will fail ST, or at the very least find it is uncomfortable. As Bonjour said earlier, it is specifically intended to treat pulmonary disease (COPD, Asthema) Neruomuscular respiratory failure and hypoventilation, none of which describe your complex apnea, which the ASV is inteded to treat. Please ask your doctor why not ASV?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Vauto at 10/6 with PS=2 last night.  Somewhat predictably, plenty of CAs.  The ST is supposed to arrive today.  I'm going to use it as the doc prescribed tonight (10/6 Backup=9 seconds).   Then I'll follow Fred's suggestion of 5 / 5 with PS=0 and see what happens.  All in preparation for a followup with doc to get an ASV machine...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm kind of discouraged today.  The DME just phoned me and said the data from my 3 sleep studies does not warrant an ASV machine for insurance purposes.  They say my OSA to CA ratio is too high to justify an ASV machine.  She says the VAuto machine they delivered is the "best" they can give me. 

Questions:  

1. Is the CA data from the SD card via OSCAR accurate?   

2. My understanding is that the sleep lab measurement of CA is based on the chest and belly band numbers, rather than the data from the xPAP machine.  Are these two ways of evaluating CAs generally close in their results?  

3. Why isn't the sleep lab seeing nearly as many CAs as I see via OSCAR?  And I see them 100% of the nights I run OSCAR on them. 

I still feel pretty crappy--tired and sleepy.  Maybe I need to "go commando" and buy an ASV machine on the open market.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a medical requirement for ASV for medicare, most insurance companies go by this.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...P_Machines

Per this Eliminate the obstructive apnea, start with a PS =4, you know what that means, and it's OK.  Beat the obstructive to death.  And yes, your Centrals will be bad, that's good.

Ammo to clearly demonstrate failure on the VAuto.
Post Reply Post Reply
P.S. No ST will be arriving. They're saying the VAuto is what I need.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never thought an ST would be a good machine for you. Funny though is that I just suggested an ST as a strong possibility for a woman on Facebook with "I have major muscle weakness already (possible myasthenia gravis, or MS or FSA".  
Post Reply Post Reply
So... is 10/6 with PS=4 where I should start with the VAuto to start to completely eliminate OSA and support the case for an ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 691 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,415 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 213 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.