Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Guy! High AHI
RE: New Guy! High AHI
Start there. The task is to completely ignore CA events and optimize for obstructive apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Set your VAuto back to the settings prescribed by the dr and see how bad your CA is then... I guess you will then fail Bipap and Qualify for the next machine
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 04:08 PM)dahornor Wrote: Well, I'm kind of discouraged today.  The DME just phoned me and said the data from my 3 sleep studies does not warrant an ASV machine for insurance purposes.  They say my OSA to CA ratio is too high to justify an ASV machine.  She says the VAuto machine they delivered is the "best" they can give me. 

Questions:  

1. Is the CA data from the SD card via OSCAR accurate?   

2. My understanding is that the sleep lab measurement of CA is based on the chest and belly band numbers, rather than the data from the xPAP machine.  Are these two ways of evaluating CAs generally close in their results?  

3. Why isn't the sleep lab seeing nearly as many CAs as I see via OSCAR?  And I see them 100% of the nights I run OSCAR on them. 

I still feel pretty crappy--tired and sleepy.  Maybe I need to "go commando" and buy an ASV machine on the open market.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Are you saying that an equipment supplier/DME is qualified, or presumes to prescribe what you need based on their unqualified interpretation of sleep study results and insurance requirements?  Only the doctor can prescribe, and the DME is the "pharmacist" that is supposed to  make it happen.  Call the doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From SleepRider
Are you saying that an equipment supplier/DME is qualified, or presumes to prescribe what you need based on their unqualified interpretation of sleep study results and insurance requirements?  Only the doctor can prescribe, and the DME is the "pharmacist" that is supposed to  make it happen.  Call the doctor.

"Presumes" is exactly what happened. And, best I can tell, they didn't bother to tell the doctor!  Alas, the doctor is out of the office for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Her nurse unable to help.  

Results attached.  

Fred (et al), I'm not sure I see the benefit of squashing all the OSA and upping the CA--unless the doctor and/or DME is willing to accept OSCAR as a valid source of sleep data. *I* have tons of confidence in OSCAR (I was an assembly/machine language programmer back in the early 80's) but they don't.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, you can download ResScan from the Private Files area on Apnea Board. That will give you a basis for validating OSCAR. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That latest chart is the kind of evidence I wanted you to have in hand. It prooves that a BiLevel is not suitable for your apnea. For now, again, make yourself as comfortable as you can. As SR said, that can easily be validated with Resscan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys, me again.

As I mentioned, my doctor is out of town this week.  So...wondering how you would suggest I set my VAuto to mimic the APAP I had set at Min=4 Max=8.  That wasn't great in terms of CAs, but at least my overall AHI numbers were down around 10 instead of the 18-20 I'm getting with the VAuto machine set at 10 / 6.  

I'll gather data to make case for ASV later--right now I'm looking a triage mode for this week while my grandkids are here from out of town.  Smile

Thanks,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
The key is PS or EPR=0
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't reread this thread; apologies if this is redundant. have you tried setting vauto trigger to high from default med? I saw that it reduced ca in others so I tried it. just 2 noncontiguous nights so far but significantly fewer ca as a result.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Just FYI - Just got a call from the DME, They called the doctor's office and got back to me with settings for the VAuto Auto mode of 5 - 20, PS=4. I'm going to give that a try - because now I'm on the DME's radar as someone with who may very well need an ASV machine. So unless it's unbearable, I'm going to cooperate for now. Again, I appreciate the support I've received from the Apneaboard! I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.