Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Guy Now On CPAP
New Guy Now On CPAP
Hello all. I'm two nights into the machine. My first post was "APNEA Out Of Control". I was going to keep going there but figured it might be best to start new since I now have the machine.
I've not been sleeping well. I lay there awake for who knows how long and I wake often. Then it's difficult to get back to sleep. I am sleeping some but have no idea how much.
The machine indicates all is well. No leaks or anything. The first night's events were 0.8. Last night was 2.0. Usage hours were 8.18. One thing I don't understand is the pressure. The doctor said it was to be 10. But the machine showed a pressure of 5.1 the first night and 6.6 last night. The ramp is on. Upon start-up is goes up to 5. The EPR is on and I think it's set at 3.
I wonder if he has the pressure set correctly. It seems so light to me. I remember the two previous attempts at CPAP and the pressure was 8. I could really feel it! So, what's different here?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Guy Now On CPAP
A couple things - first please add the model of the machine to your profile - AirSense is like Chevy, there are models - like Belair, Camaro, etc. They are CPAP, ELITE and AUTOSET. You can find the model on the front of the machine or side - I forget which for now.

Second. You can check the pressure settings - hold down the round knob button and the home (center blow the display) button for about 4 or 5 seconds and another menu will show up, called the clinician menu. Scroll through and check a couple things -

1. Are you in CPAP mode or AUTOSET mode (If you have a CPAP or ELITE model only CPAP is available anyway)
2. What is the pressure set to.
3. EPR is the pressure relief when you exhale (to make it easier to exhale) and can be set in this menu - 3 means if your normal pressure is 10, then the machine changes to 7 when you exhale.)
4. If your machine is showing varying pressure the chances are you have an autoset, which will automatically attempt to find the best settings for your pressure. (within a permissible range the doctor or DME tech sets).

As to not sleeping well. The first couple weeks can be hard for most - it's all new, noisy and you at tethered to the machine - do you know why you are not sleeping well? Is it worse on the machine or about the same with or without the machine?

If you have any AirSense machine except CPAP you can get a program here called Sleepyhead which will give you more information than you can imagine about what you are doing at night and how the machine is working. Look fro a link above and down load it - give it a spin.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to what Frank says, there are a variety of reasons why you may not be sleeping well. I'm currently going through a long period of waking up every 2 hours. Originally, I thought it was restless leg syndrome, but that hasn't actually been bothering me in the last month, so I have to figure this one out. I DO know RLS wakes me up, so it could simply be that it is stronger when asleep than awake now.

I slept like a rock when I first got the machine about a year ago. After winter hit, things went downhill. So, don't beat yourself up too much. You just have to work out issues. It could be something simple like a bad mattress or that your body is just not used to breathing in with a mask yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2016, 12:07 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: A couple things - first please add the model of the machine to your profile - AirSense is like Chevy, there are models - like Belair, Camaro, etc. They are CPAP, ELITE and AUTOSET. You can find the model on the front of the machine or side - I forget which for now.

Second. You can check the pressure settings - hold down the round knob button and the home (center blow the display) button for about 4 or 5 seconds and another menu will show up, called the clinician menu. Scroll through and check a couple things -

1. Are you in CPAP mode or AUTOSET mode (If you have a CPAP or ELITE model only CPAP is available anyway)
2. What is the pressure set to.
3. EPR is the pressure relief when you exhale (to make it easier to exhale) and can be set in this menu - 3 means if your normal pressure is 10, then the machine changes to 7 when you exhale.)
4. If your machine is showing varying pressure the chances are you have an autoset, which will automatically attempt to find the best settings for your pressure. (within a permissible range the doctor or DME tech sets).

As to not sleeping well. The first couple weeks can be hard for most - it's all new, noisy and you at tethered to the machine - do you know why you are not sleeping well? Is it worse on the machine or about the same with or without the machine?

If you have any AirSense machine except CPAP you can get a program here called Sleepyhead which will give you more information than you can imagine about what you are doing at night and how the machine is working. Look fro a link above and down load it - give it a spin.

Okay, I added the info to my profile. Sorry about that. As to the settings here is what I found:
Pressure: 10
Mode: CPAP
Start Pressure: 5
Ramp Time: 15min.
EPR: 3

So, I guess the pressure is set correctly. With it being in CPAP mode is the machine not searching for the best pressure?
I'm not sure why I'm sleeping like I am. I normally fall asleep within minutes. As you say it could be the idea that I'm using the machine now.
I normally get up to use the restroom a couple of times. That's nothing new.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2016, 12:50 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: In addition to what Frank says, there are a variety of reasons why you may not be sleeping well. I'm currently going through a long period of waking up every 2 hours. Originally, I thought it was restless leg syndrome, but that hasn't actually been bothering me in the last month, so I have to figure this one out. I DO know RLS wakes me up, so it could simply be that it is stronger when asleep than awake now.

I slept like a rock when I first got the machine about a year ago. After winter hit, things went downhill. So, don't beat yourself up too much. You just have to work out issues. It could be something simple like a bad mattress or that your body is just not used to breathing in with a mask yet.

I used to use the dental appliance alone. Even with it I was falling asleep fairly quickly and not waking other than to use the restroom. But, of course, the apnea was still bad. I'm assuming this is just the idea of being on the machine. I'm hoping it will pass. But I also deal with GERD and my stomach has been bothering me a lot. That could be waking me as well. I need to call the Gastro doc tomorrow and let them know the Zegerid just isn't cutting it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2016, 12:54 PM)Mike208 Wrote: Okay, I added the info to my profile. Sorry about that. As to the settings here is what I found:

So, I guess the pressure is set correctly. With it being in CPAP mode is the machine not searching for the best pressure?
I'm not sure why I'm sleeping like I am. I normally fall asleep within minutes. As you say it could be the idea that I'm using the machine now.

Your machine is set in Cpap mode with a constant pressure of 10 (except for ramp time). The EPR of 3 reduces pressure to 7 when you exhale.

Do you know why your doctor doesn't have you set up in APAP mode?

I'm suspecting that he/she is afraid of you using too high of a pressure range because of having GERD, so he wants to keep you at a constant pressure. I can understand that, but at the same time, you may not need to be at a pressure of 10 all night. Talk to your doctor about switching to APAP, with a pressure range.

Your machine will only report large leaks, but you may be mouth breathing and swallowing air. If that is the case, then you will have to try to correct that by using a chin strap. Also, try sleeping a bit elevated.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Strapping on a mask and having a hose blow air into it is not the most comfortable way to sleep. It takes time to adapt before it becomes the new normal. Once that happens you will likely sleep better. It just takes time so you have to be patient.

I recommend you download and install SleepyHead so you can look at your data. That's really the only way to determine the settings needed if you switch to auto mode so that the machine automatically adjusts the pressure. There's a good chance that your doctor doesn't want to be bothered with that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2016, 02:05 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 12:54 PM)Mike208 Wrote: Okay, I added the info to my profile. Sorry about that. As to the settings here is what I found:

Your machine is set in Cpap mode with a constant pressure of 10 (except for ramp time). The EPR of 3 reduces pressure to 7 when you exhale.

Do you know why your doctor doesn't have you set up in APAP mode?

I'm suspecting that he/she is afraid of you using too high of a pressure range because of having GERD, so he wants to keep you at a constant pressure. I can understand that, but at the same time, you may not need to be at a pressure of 10 all night. Talk to your doctor about switching to APAP, with a pressure range.

Your machine will only report large leaks, but you may be mouth breathing and swallowing air. If that is the case, then you will have to try to correct that by using a chin strap. Also, try sleeping a bit elevated.

I do not. But I will call tomorrow and ask. I had the swallowing air issue before. I have the head of my bed elevated.
(05-01-2016, 02:50 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Strapping on a mask and having a hose blow air into it is not the most comfortable way to sleep. It takes time to adapt before it becomes the new normal. Once that happens you will likely sleep better. It just takes time so you have to be patient.

I recommend you download and install SleepyHead so you can look at your data. That's really the only way to determine the settings needed if you switch to auto mode so that the machine automatically adjusts the pressure. There's a good chance that your doctor doesn't want to be bothered with that.

Okay, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just want to reassure you that it does get better with time. I used to have terrible insomnia but since going on the hose I fall asleep in minutes. It takes a while to adjust then (as Sleepster said) it becomes the new normal and you won't want to sleep without it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2016, 07:11 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Just want to reassure you that it does get better with time. I used to have terrible insomnia but since going on the hose I fall asleep in minutes. It takes a while to adjust then (as Sleepster said) it becomes the new normal and you won't want to sleep without it.

Thank you. I hope it works out that way for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.