Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New HDM Z1 Auto...anyone have one yet?
RE: New HDM Z1 Auto...anyone have one yet?
(03-26-2015, 10:33 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 09:46 AM)ChrisVasta Wrote: Hi to anyone interested in seeing a recent video I posted about the noise level on the Z1 Auto machine www XXXXXXXXXXXX/ [url text removed] because a lot of folks seem to wonder about the small sized fans under higher pressures.

Thanks for sharing, but this video doesn't actually show what a user would experience.

I have a Z-1 and have tried to use it to judge its pros and cons.

The video is not representative or illustrative of the noise problem that a user of the HDM units would experience. Number one, this was shown at the LOWEST pressure setting likely to be used - 8cm (slowest turbine speed). A pressure at the higher end of the range (12 cm) would have been a more useful test. Number two, it does not address the radical change in pitch the unit makes as the EPR function kicks in and out with each breath.

It should be noted that the noise most folks complain about is not the actual motor noise (which is very quiet), but it is turbine blower noise that is transmitted through the inside of the tube, directly into the nasal cavity and sinuses, which, btw, are connected directly to the inner ear.

If you wanted to see how loud this machine actually sounds to a user, you would need to put a microphone, padded to screen out wind noise, INSIDE of the tubing. What you would hear would be much, much more disturbing to the listener.

I understand that HDM is soon to introduce an in-line muffler that will attach to the tubing (yes, the problem is serious enough that the manufacturer is having to bring out add-on hardware to address the complaints about this issue.) However, by the time you add on hardware, you are adding complexity (another component to carry around) and bulk which may further reduce the utility of this tiny machine.

This may be a fine machine in a travel/portability niche, but the video shown here is by no means representative of what a user would hear (at least without the supposedly soon-to-be released muffler).

OMM

The Transcend machine has the same issue with sound transmission. I created a muffler for my Transcend EZEX and it is now as quiet as my PRS1. You can see a picture of my muffler in the Product Review forum. I did a review of the EZEX and attached a couple of pictures. It could be smaller, but I made it out of things I had laying around. If you got similar stuff laying around give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
It reminds of the 'tuning' car people do to make the air intake sound *right* to car people.

Since I bounce between 13-17, the batter appears to be no real hope for such as I.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2015, 10:30 PM)Eleong2 Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 10:33 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 09:46 AM)ChrisVasta Wrote: Hi to anyone interested in seeing a recent video I posted about the noise level on the Z1 Auto machine www XXXXXXXXXXXX/ [url text removed] because a lot of folks seem to wonder about the small sized fans under higher pressures.

Thanks for sharing, but this video doesn't actually show what a user would experience.

I have a Z-1 and have tried to use it to judge its pros and cons.

The video is not representative or illustrative of the noise problem that a user of the HDM units would experience. Number one, this was shown at the LOWEST pressure setting likely to be used - 8cm (slowest turbine speed). A pressure at the higher end of the range (12 cm) would have been a more useful test. Number two, it does not address the radical change in pitch the unit makes as the EPR function kicks in and out with each breath.

It should be noted that the noise most folks complain about is not the actual motor noise (which is very quiet), but it is turbine blower noise that is transmitted through the inside of the tube, directly into the nasal cavity and sinuses, which, btw, are connected directly to the inner ear.

If you wanted to see how loud this machine actually sounds to a user, you would need to put a microphone, padded to screen out wind noise, INSIDE of the tubing. What you would hear would be much, much more disturbing to the listener.

I understand that HDM is soon to introduce an in-line muffler that will attach to the tubing (yes, the problem is serious enough that the manufacturer is having to bring out add-on hardware to address the complaints about this issue.) However, by the time you add on hardware, you are adding complexity (another component to carry around) and bulk which may further reduce the utility of this tiny machine.

This may be a fine machine in a travel/portability niche, but the video shown here is by no means representative of what a user would hear (at least without the supposedly soon-to-be released muffler).

OMM

The Transcend machine has the same issue with sound transmission. I created a muffler for my Transcend EZEX and it is now as quiet as my PRS1. You can see a picture of my muffler in the Product Review forum. I did a review of the EZEX and attached a couple of pictures. It could be smaller, but I made it out of things I had laying around. If you got similar stuff laying around give it a try.

In response to Oh My Hell Yes,we appreciate your suggestions, however the noise being generated by any cpap machine can only truly be determined if the person has the mask on, and the machine running to their specific pressure. We had several customers ask to only mic the sound of the machine since adding a mask and changing pressure presents too many variables, so our video was done in response to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
[/quote]

In response to Oh My Hell Yes,we appreciate your suggestions, however the noise being generated by any cpap machine can only truly be determined if the person has the mask on, and the machine running to their specific pressure. We had several customers ask to only mic the sound of the machine since adding a mask and changing pressure presents too many variables, so our video was done in response to them.
[/quote]

I agree, the noise the user perceive is different than what a person hears outside of the mask. The noise volume is not the same with different types of masks and the same goes for different pressures. My little muffler when connected at the outlet of my machine reduces that air turbulence before it gets to the tubing. Without the muffler you can put the tubing against your ear and hear the breathing (loud). With the muffler on you can barely hear it. If anyone has a Z1 and considers it loud, try plugging it into a humidifier chamber (if you have one) an see if the noise goes down while wearing your mask. When I plug my Transcend into my PR System One humidifier it is quiet (at the mask) like if I am using my PRS1 460.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 05:44 PM)Eleong2 Wrote: If anyone has a Z1 and considers it loud, try plugging it into a humidifier chamber (if you have one) an see if the noise goes down while wearing your mask. When I plug my Transcend into my PR System One humidifier it is quiet (at the mask) like if I am using my PRS1 460.

What would be cool would be if they molded the muffler as part of the tube adapter since it's already just formed plastic - not a separate inline dongle...

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
Since it's in production it's too late for that for this version and doing that would add to the cost so while a good idea I doubt it would ever happen.

Let's hope it gets released in April.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 06:13 PM)bill-e Wrote: Since it's in production it's too late for that for this version and doing that would add to the cost so while a good idea I doubt it would ever happen.

It would be interesting to see if HDM provides it for no charge to current Z1 owners.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 06:41 PM)Eleong2 Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 06:13 PM)bill-e Wrote: Since it's in production it's too late for that for this version and doing that would add to the cost so while a good idea I doubt it would ever happen.

It would be interesting to see if HDM provides it for no charge to current Z1 owners.

I made a suggestion to Somnetics (Transcend) if they could produce a muffler a while back. It appears they are deaf when it comes to their users. Unlike HDM who is making an effort to satisfy their customers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased the Z1A and have found it to be a nice backup machine. The machine is noisy in the house but while I used it in the car while my wife drove I found it not to bug me. I also purchased an add on humidifier. When I am home or where I am staying for a day or two I run the unit with the humidifier. The noise is much lower and I sleep well. I am pleased with the unit. I do think the HME are over priced.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello all. I just purchased a Z1 Auto as I got tired of hauling my S9 when I travel. The Z1A manual states that you have to have your doctor put it in APAP mode. Since my S9 is APAP I should be able to change this myself. Does anyone know how to do that?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 595 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 2,999 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  auto turn on is off? (oooh, auto turn on...!) hegel 10 2,216 05-23-2020, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Dreamstation Auto SV VS Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV auto EPAP RLSdss 3 1,836 12-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How to go from Fixed to Auto Pressure - Dreamstation CPAP Auto pumpkin 2 1,194 11-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed AirSense 10 [how to turn auto/on auto/off feature off?] IsrvChrist 3 19,509 05-03-2019, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.