Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New - Help required
New - Help required
Hi all

Im new to using the cpap machine (3 months) and have a few problems and looking for some advice if possible.

When I got the machine it came with a nasel mask, but found this very hard to breath with, so they changed it to the face mask. Which is so much better. The problems im having are ..

1) When the mask is first put on, there are no leaks , but after a while it slips down my face a bit and starts to leak. No matter how i adjust it it keeps slipping down.

Any ideas how this can be stopped ?

2) After using the cpap machine i find it a little bit hard to breath, the air seems so heavy for about 30 secs or so.

Is this normal ?

Thank You
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New - Help required
Growing pains of becoming used to your new machine. Most of us go through any number of different masks to find one that works for us. And the one I might love, you might hate, and another person may think it's just OK.

Getting the mask right is 80% of the battle, and the other 20% is simply getting used to the entire concept. Your body (and mind) will take a while (different for everyone) to get used to the change. Then once that's done, your body will start doing better and better.

Watching the data, for both low leak rate, and low AHI is the key - and a high leak rate can skew all the other numbers...

Welcome to the forum Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Landyz, Like you I am a new user with about 3 months experience. I am on my fourth mask and have another mask on order in an ongoing quest to get the best fit for my face shape, pressure setting, claustrophic tendencies, etc. etc. So...Peter_C is right; keep at it until you get the mask right.

I also experienced the scary feeling of being unable to breathe when I first turned the machine on. The solution for me was to increase the bottom pressure number from 4 to 8. I reasoned that since my average pressure is between 10 & 11, why start at 4 and panic while waiting for more air. So a pressure of 8 to 16 is perfect for me. Good luck, you will be pleasantly surprised when you get it right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi vlandyz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to so just stick with it, it does get better.
The mask is the hardest part of this whole thing so don't be shy about asking to try different ones 'till you find what works for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions, don't give up, and best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

The mask is the hardest part of this whole thing so don't be shy about asking to try different ones 'till you find what works for you.

As everyone else is saying the mask is 80% of the battle , Most of us have 8-10 masks in the drawer that ended up not working for us .
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2014, 06:14 AM)landyz Wrote: Hi all

1) When the mask is first put on, there are no leaks , but after a while it slips down my face a bit and starts to leak. No matter how i adjust it it keeps slipping down.

You might try a liner for your mask. That is what helped my ffm stay put and not leak so much. You can ask your supplier for something called a remzzzzz liner, or you can google around and find them. Also, if you've got an old t-shirt laying around (cotton) you can make one yourself by tracing the face portion of the mask on the cotton and cutting out the area for nose and mouth.

(03-15-2014, 06:14 AM)landyz Wrote: 2) After using the cpap machine i find it a little bit hard to breath, the air seems so heavy for about 30 secs or so.

Everything's normal around here. We all experience different goings ons as we adapt to the machine. One thing I noticed is it looks like your upper limit pressure is set pretty high. You might want to talk with your sleep docs and see if a lower pressure to begin with might not be in order.

Feeling like you can't breath when done with a night's use is probably more about exhaling leftover air so that you have room for new air.

One more thing: You like your ffm, so don't give up on it prematurely. Any mask takes awhile to get used to us, so work with it and it'll reward you with a comfy nights sleep. If in the end you find you are not compatible, then move on. I just think maybe the reason we go through so darn many masks is we don't spend enough time getting acquainted with the thing before we take it to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2014, 06:14 AM)landyz Wrote: 1) When the mask is first put on, there are no leaks , but after a while it slips down my face a bit and starts to leak. No matter how i adjust it it keeps slipping down.

I too use a Mirage Quattro mask-switched from a nasal mask. I have only been using it for about 3 weeks and am still trying to get optimal fit.

The common knowledge is that one should cleanse your face just prior to using the mask and the cleanse the mask cushions daily because apparently oils from your skin affect the seal. I would also think they might affect the coefficient of friction and allow the mask to slide down although I have not had this problem.

There is an antileak strap for the Mirage Quattro that might help hold the mask up. I will send you a private message to let you know where you can look for this

Quote:2) After using the cpap machine i find it a little bit hard to breath, the air seems so heavy for about 30 secs or so.

Is this normal ?

Thank You

I do not know about normal-I think we are all abnormal. I think I know what you mean though. When I turn the CPAP off the air cushions deflate and the mask squats down on my face causing a momentary feeling of suction but for me it does not last 30 seconds. You might check the valve in the elbow to see if it is sticking a little. Do you clean the flapper somewhat routinely?

Good luck with your therapy. I can not hardly go to sleep without my face plastered in a mask and the CPAP on.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
landyz, welcome, my two best tips for new users especially with full face masks are use mask liners, not only do they help stop slipping and leaks they save the silicone from touching your face, you can buy the Remzzzs mask liners over the net or I can send you the instrutions on how to make them yourself very cheaply. Also have the hose coming from above your head, you can either buy a product called a hose lift or have the hose draped over your bed head if you have one or like some of us, make one yourself. Having the hose come from above your head the gravity pulls up instead of down and save you getting tangled, good luck and keep at it, it's well worth it in the long run.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2014, 06:14 AM)landyz Wrote: 1) When the mask is first put on, there are no leaks , but after a while it slips down my face a bit and starts to leak. No matter how i adjust it it keeps slipping down.

2) After using the cpap machine i find it a little bit hard to breath, the air seems so heavy for about 30 secs or so.

Is this normal ?

Thank You
Tips for new CPAP users and voiding 10 common problems
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

1- Fit the mask while using mask fit feature (not at Ramp or start pressure) and if you feel comfortable reduce ramp time or turn off

2- EPR can be helpful to people who find it hard to breathe out against the pressure
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you for all your reply's

its good to know im heading in the right direction.

john
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 61 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Advice required regarding data Mjfbeeslaar 4 384 12-28-2023, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 433 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Diagnosis] Sleep test Required/Mandatory ??? dalabera 9 764 10-26-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Remstar Auto M Series "Service Required" msgill59 24 36,234 01-08-2023, 07:20 PM
  UARS - Treatment Assistance required LordEthan2 13 1,655 09-11-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: LordEthan2
Question [Diagnosis] Help Required- Type of Equipment required rchandrasekhar1975 8 797 08-31-2021, 07:55 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.