Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Here
New Here
Hello everyone,

I am new here and just wanted to say hi.

I used to go to bed feeling tired, then would wake up absolutely exhausted the next morning. I started sleeping with a CPAP two days ago and it's definitely a different experience. I noticed a slight improvement in my sleep in the two nights I have used it so far; I feel a little more rested and can get up quickly compared to before using a CPAP machine.

I do have one concern. I noticed I breathe through my mouth during sleep, and despite mentioning this when getting my CPAP, I was still given the nasal pillows. I gave it a shot but noticed anytime my mouth opens during sleep, I'll be awoken by a hissing sound of the air rushing from my nose out of my mouth. I also notice I have extreme dry mouth because I can't seem to keep my mouth closed. Should I see about getting a jaw strap to keep my mouth shut?

I can only imagine how much better it would feel if I didn't wake up at all.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Here
Welcome Welcome

Yes, do try adding a chin strap to your mask.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi robdotexe,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might get a chinstrap to help you keep your mouth closed.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

Just remember to take baby steps. It's a process and may take some time to find the "sweet" spot. I just added a chin strap after almost 8 years of therapy, and now I'm adjusting pressures to get the most horse power from therapy.

Regards,
Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
I breathe though my mouth a lot. I enjoy using either the Amara View which seems like a hybrid full face max and the F&P Simplus full face mask.

Consider a trial. Can't hurt.

Welcome to the forum!

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a FF mask, but I couldn't get used to the air blowing directly into my mouth when it was open. It severely dried out my mouth. My sleep doc suggested that I use a low-adhesive surgical tape to tape my mouth closed and use a nasal mask. I have had mixed results with that method, as the tape eventually becomes damp and loses adhesion. I use moisturizer mouthwash, and that helps some with the nasal mask but is ineffective with the FF mask due to the constant flow of air into my mouth. My next step is to lower the humidity a bit with a nasal mask and hope for less moisture to loosen the tape.

I don't recommend using tape without checking with a doc first. It may not be advised for some patients.
Post Reply Post Reply
For chin strip usage and an alternative (tongue technique) read this link:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid132173

Keep us posted on your method and progress.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.