Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Here - Could use some help
RE: New Here - Could use some help
ok, I'm in the deep south, with humidity like a swamp... I'll try Auto and if I need to switch to manual I will.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're high humidity you may need to go down to Off but with water in the tub if you don't need higher humidity that is.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ok, results are in on the Resmed, to say I'm confused would be an understatement.

Although the Resmed indicated the best AHI I've ever personally seen since starting Xpap,  I do not feel good at all, I was constantly awakening during the night tossing and turning. So the data is not correlating with real life.

I also notice the Resmed is capturing less types of events (RERA/FL/VS/VB) so since it's not capturing those events, of course the AHI figure is much lower.

Does the Resmed not capture these events (RERA/FL/VS/VB), or is this log saying I didn't have any of those events on this night?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The list of events not showing is because they didn't occur or the fact ResMed reports different events. Example VS shows on Respironics as it's relying on that to respond to events as I recall. But the ResMed doesn't.

Apnea treatment is about both treating events and user comfort. Likely settings are needing optimized to maximize comfort.

Of the things showing, maybe leaks are a disturbance. They're not high but still it's a possible source.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I've since now read that the AirCurve does not register RERA events, I don't know if that means they cannot happen on an AirCurve machine or not..

It's clear to me that the ResMed and Phillips machine capture events or infer events differently, so it's really impractical to compare AHI numbers between the two I think.

I think you are right, though I never felt the higher pressures on the ResMed, like I did on the Phillips, looking at the graph and having zero training on how to decipher it, my layman's opinion is I was awoken each time the pressure raised to ~13.

Again, I could be completely wrong, but I would think lowering the Max Pressure to 10.5 or 11 and increasing Min pressure to 9 may yield better results for me, I'm sure Sleeprider will chime in with his usual spot on analysis Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
With the Resmed, we have a much higher resolution picture of your sleep.  The most likely cause of arousals are the leaks we see.  The longer duration ones may be a minor seal or mouth leak, while the ones that spike rapidly are more likely related to arousal and moving. Flow limitation is low with 95% at 0.03, so the pressure support is working great and you don't have any CA events so we can continue to use PS and even add to it if we choose.  OA events tend to arise out of minimum pressure, so I'm inclined to move EPAP min to 7.0. Based on no CA and some residual H events, I anticipate we will slightly increase PS, but I think we can wait until the leaks settle a bit.

When we compare these results to your Dreamstation results, we see little change in the respiratory statistics but the events with that machine were all related to flow limitation, which has mostly gone away with the Aircurve 10. Flow limitation is the mother of obstructive events, and grows into RERA, Hypopnea, Snoring and even OA. With that out of the way the events are mostly gone. Comparing the flow rate graphs below, we see a great deal of resemblance and there are still some rough areas, especially at and around 04:45.  I think as we optimize, these will diminish.

As far as the difference between how Philips and Resmed flag events, that's true, but doesn't account for this much difference. Closer examination of the flow rate graphs will certainly reveal far less flattened flow limited breaths with the Resmed. RERA is by definition a flow limitation event that consists of increasing flow limitation that ends in arousal as indicated by higher flow rates or recovery breathing. You can easily identify if this happened by examining the flow rate, especially where the flow limit graph indicates higher FL. Similarly, you can look at the flow rate around periods of hypopnea in your Philips therapy and look through the Resmed data for the same pattern. You probably won't find much. Finally, you can make the flagging more sensitive by enabling User Flags in the Oscar menu at File/Preference/Events. When you check UF 1 and UF 2 these will flag periods of flow limitation that otherwise do not show up. I don't recall the exact percentages of limitation these flag, and I don't use these.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=29889]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=29610]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Roger that, moving Min EPAP to 7 and leaving the rest as is.

Let's see what tonight looks like !
Post Reply Post Reply
Another terrible night, tossing/turning, not sure why but my best guess is the higher pressures.

I took a Zyrtec-D around 7:30pm for congestion and my normal Doxylamine at 11pm.

I'm providing two screenshots, one with and one without Wellue Oximetry, but be advised the one with SPo2 shifted the timeline for some reason.

Something's gotta change so I can get some rest.

Post Reply Post Reply
Found that the timeline skewed because the Resmed was configured for the incorrect time, I've now fixed that
Post Reply Post Reply
Made a few changes but still struggling big time with the Resmed machine, for whatever reason it seems I open my mouth more often with the Resmed.

Any thoughts on this log?

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.