Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Here - Could use some help
RE: New Here - Could use some help
That's what I was thinking, but even though I trimmed my beard way down, the Dreamware FF mask leaks if I increase the pressure much.

Maybe I have it too tight as it was also uncomfortable.

I haven't slept well in many days, I'm going to go back to the phillips with nasal mask for tonight and try the Resmed again in a day or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have to limit therapy because your mask leaks too much, the mask has failed you. Change masks, either in cushion size or a different make/model mask.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried that many times, however I am desperately trying to avoid masks in which the hose attaches to the front of the face... 10yrs ago I gave up on CPAP because I didn't have you guys and I had a mask that connected in the front, not allowing me to toss/turn easily.

My best "restful" night was on the Phillips with the small nasal mask, which recorded AHI of 3.13, but again, it felt way better than the Resmed that recorded AHI of 1.37 the next night.

I know this is a long journey, I'm trying hard to be patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah OK. You are probably needing to get a hose hanger. Something that holds the hose, takes the weight off the mask, and keeps it out of the way.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most likely, but I'm trying my hardest to be "normal", with not completely changing my life for CPAP.

I might eventually get to where some of you guys are, as in "comfortable" with hoses hanging off my face and bed modifications just to support CPAP... But I'm holding out hope I can get away with a simple dreamware nasal mask as it's soo comfortable I almost forget I have it on.

I'm a very light sleeper, so whether it's Apnea or CPAP gear keeping me up at night, the end results feels the same (drained and not rested).

I find it very odd that with the same exact mask, I'm having a much harder time with the clearly more capable Resmed vAuto machine.

I'm going to sleep with my Phillips at the 9.5/9.5 pressure settings for a few nights and see if that AHI of 3.13 and great feeling was a one-off or if it's consistent. If it's consistent, maybe putting the Resmed in CPAP mode at 9.5 would have similar results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's what I'm most confused about..

The Phillips last night registered an AHI of 5.82, but I felt better and more rested than when the ResMed registered AHI of 1.37. Both used the same mask.

I understand I have the Phillips in CPAP mode with constant 9.5 pressure and the Resmed was in vAuto mode with variable pressure, but why on earth do I feel so much better and rested with the Phillips?

Could the Phillips be registering more false events and thus "looks worse"?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The most remarkable difference is the use of fixed pressure with the Dreamstation. Why not set the Vauto to EPAP min 6.0 PS 3 Max pressure 9.0?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Sleeprider. You are currently comparing a fixed pressure to a variable pressure. That is like apples to oranges. You might be sensitive to pressure changes and will obtain a better result using a fixed pressure with the Resmed.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed, an apple to orange comparison with fixed CPAP VS bilevel indicates less tolerance to variable pressures. It also highlights that your mask setup can't tolerate higher pressure which adds to the disruptions.

My take is it's not Respironics is better but that it's not producing disrupting therapy on fixed. And it's not stressing the weakness of your mask setup. The ResMed is totally opposite with the therapy you're running it in. There's trial and error in PAP therapy; now we know the info on fixed or limited range is what your body wants.

Make the necessary changes or repeat while expecting different results, which are marks of insanity. The changes are VAuto to a lowered variability on pressures, and I do think your mask setup is a weak area that's holding therapy back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Easy Smile

Wasn't claiming the Phillips is better and I already admitted to the difference in XPAP modes... So I'm not trying to start a battle here. You guys are as bad as the Chevy/Ford and Mitsubishi/Subaru guys Smile

I will try the Resmed with Sleeprider's recommendations above, but I have to ask, why pay for the Resmed if the Phillips with constant pressure is working?

Do we think with a better mask and more fine tuning that the ResMed will outperform it for my body's needs or do we have enough data to suggest my body just prefers constant pressure and I should just stick with the Phillips?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.