Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Here - Strange Behaviour
RE: New Here - Strange Behaviour
Doc wanted to put me on the Trilogy but the equip provider said they were not going to take on any more "vent patients". Whatever that means. They refused to sell me one and honor the docs prescription. So now I have a ResMed VPAP Auto that I've had as a back up to my VPAP S machine which is dying a slow death. I need help getting the AUTO to stop panting, for lack of a better word. It will not give me a long inhale but clamps down after short bursts.. no way can I sleep with that going on. Any ideas?
Question 
'New' Machine = ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (Backup/VPAP S dying a slow death)
Mode = S
IPAP = 17
EPAP = 10
EASYBREATHE = On
TiMax = 3.0
TiMin = 0.3
Rise Time = 300 (grayed out)
Trigger = High
Cycle = High
MaxRamp = Off
Start EPAP = 4.0 (grayed out)
Mask = Full Face
Tube = SlimLine

Issue remains. The pressure is good on the 'new' machine, but the machine is not allowing me to inhale long enough and drops off sharply rather than transitions smoothly into exhale. Short bursts of air on inhale then stops and exhales. Doc is no longer participating. Hospice has no RT. Any help appreciated.. not getting any quality sleep.UnsureDont-knowCant-sleep-well
First you need to set your cycle sensitivity to medium-high or medium. High sensitivity will generally cycle sooner.

Why so much difference between IPAP and EPAP? Why in S mode and not auto?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
(10-20-2016, 11:41 AM)PaytonA Wrote: First you need to set your cycle sensitivity to medium-high or medium. High sensitivity will generally cycle sooner.

Why so much difference between IPAP and EPAP? Why in S mode and not auto?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Hi Payton, Thanks for responding. I lost the board in my gazillion bookmarks. I have no idea why there is such a gap between IPAP and EPAP, maybe because COPD patients tend to exhale longer than they inhale, due to trapped air? No clue really, that's just a guess. I tried your settings and it's still not giving me the long inhale that I'd like to have and it's snapping off before the inhale is finished. The change to Auto didn't seem to make much difference. I have slimline tube and mask settings are all good. Any other ideas I can try. Really desperate for sleep. Thanks.
I would try setting your cycle to medium and trigger to very high. I would also set your Ti max to 4.0. See if that does any good. I have a sneaking hunch, however, that you need to adjust your pressures a little. Just my opinion.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
(10-19-2016, 11:19 PM)QT2U Wrote: Doc wanted to put me on the Trilogy but the equip provider said they were not going to take on any more "vent patients". Whatever that means. They refused to sell me one and honor the docs prescription. So now I have a ResMed VPAP Auto that I've had as a back up to my VPAP S machine which is dying a slow death. I need help getting the AUTO to stop panting, for lack of a better word. It will not give me a long inhale but clamps down after short bursts.. no way can I sleep with that going on. Any ideas?

The duty of care is not being met by the provider/insurance/physician. This whole topic is beyond the common experience of the members of this forum. QT2U, it's time to insist on proper care and not let them try a band-aide approach. If you need to go to an ER to get help -- do it.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Wow. While I am glad you may have kinda gotten the help you needed, since you need "life or death" advice, this is not the place for it.

If the supplier refuses to stick with the doc's prescription, go to another. Call the doc office. Go to another doctor. Go to the ER. Go to the county health department.

This is a sleep apnea forum, not a ventilator forum. While we can help some people in understanding something about them, you are asking us advice on how to keep you alive. We will not be responsible for that outcome.

This thread is closed.

Should you need further assistance on understanding some other aspect of your CPAP machine, other than how to use it as a ventilator 24/7, feel free to start another thread.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,348 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  Strange dry mouth patterns bbbl67 2 423 11-25-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: bbbl67
  Oscar Data (Anything Strange?) ShermansMarchingBand 2 468 11-15-2023, 10:45 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Treatment] Strange breathing waveforms on ASV Hrapovik 3 584 06-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Apnea23
  Can anybody comment on this desaturation behaviour? desaturator 82 5,674 04-23-2023, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Brucpap
  Waking Up After ~90 Minutes with Strange Head Sensation MickTravis 3 807 01-20-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: ewriter
  Very Strange Breathing Pattern upsman 3 522 09-10-2022, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.