Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap treatment leading to reduced pressure over time
Cpap treatment leading to reduced pressure over time
Anyone has a story or experience to share where their minimum pressure setting for treatment has reduced over time? My gut feel is if one is lucky, it remains the same for the lifetime. Otherwise it may creep up as time passes...??
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap treatment leading to reduced pressure over time
I suspect it would be very hard to determine an average trend.  There are so many factors that go into each night that positively and negatively influence a persons pressure needs:  weight, diet, alcohol, body position, alititude, humidity, and possibly air quality.  

My assumption is that if all things were kept reasonably the same each night your pressure needs would average around the same long term, but I think positive lifestyle changes can help.

My personal story:  I was diagnosed with OSA for the first time in 2005 (mid-20s).  At that point it was primarily due to my weight.  I made positive lifestyle choices, dropped roughly 100 lbs and was able to come off the machine.  Of course I have it again ten years later, so take from that what you want!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2017, 08:14 AM)C0mbe Wrote: I suspect it would be very hard to determine an average trend.  There are so many factors that go into each night that positively and negatively influence a persons pressure needs:  weight, diet, alcohol, body position, alititude, humidity, and possibly air quality.  

My assumption is that if all things were kept reasonably the same each night your pressure needs would average around the same long term, but I think positive lifestyle changes can help.

My personal story:  I was diagnosed with OSA for the first time in 2005 (mid-20s).  At that point it was primarily due to my weight.  I made positive lifestyle choices, dropped roughly 100 lbs and was able to come off the machine.  Of course I have it again ten years later, so take from that what you want!

Yah that's what I meant. So there are cases where people have been able to actually come off the machine or had their pressure requirements drop so much they no longer need it. So for your case you actually lost 100lbs - that was an impressive achievement! I'm struggling just to lose 20lbs! Ok, so you gained it back, but hey you've proven you can do it.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2017, 09:13 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 08:14 AM)C0mbe Wrote: I suspect it would be very hard to determine an average trend.  There are so many factors that go into each night that positively and negatively influence a persons pressure needs:  weight, diet, alcohol, body position, alititude, humidity, and possibly air quality.  

Yah that's what I meant. So there are cases where people have been able to actually come off the machine or had their pressure requirements drop so much they no longer need it. So for your case you actually lost 100lbs - that was an impressive achievement! I'm struggling just to lose 20lbs! Ok, so you gained it back, but hey you've proven you can do it.
 Yeah, 10+ years and 3 kids can certainly put a few on your waistline.  To be fair, I imagine I would have been predisposed to it anyways, because I haven't put all 100 lbs back on (roughly 40lbs back), and its much worse than before.  So I guess YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have reduced my min. pressure by 1 cmH2o. I did it to reduce the air going into my gut. I will most likely reduce it a little more as I get a trend line.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 10 25 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,435 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 121 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.