Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Machine - Numbers Don't Match
New Machine - Numbers Don't Match
I  have been cruising for years with a Respironics System One Bipap with AHI's consistently under 5 with occasional pop to 7/8. When I thought it had died, I bought a PR 60 APAP, Respironics as I did not have coverage at the time for a new Bipap. Same heavenly results, same numbers as with the BiPap. Bipap was miraculously repaired by some serious techs, and for the last year, same consistent results compared on Sleepyhead.  Enter Resmed Autoset 10 (new coverage). Bang, numbers all over the place during the last month.  Same pressures 8-15 with a 2 EPR (compared to BiPap/Apap 8-10 floating to 15) I'm. using the same masks, ditched the narrow tubing and changed the setting in the Resmed, just to compare apples to apples.  I had a 31.8 this morning, for instance! Sleepyhead showed lots of OA.  I have never seen a number like that in the last 8 years.  Resmed is onsistently showing 11-17. I'm rested, I am not suffering unusual awakenings, no open mouth dry gape syndromes. My nights feel the same as the Respironics but the numbers are telling a different story on Resmed. Any idea what's up?  I would appreciate your help. (Oh, and I live at 7200' if that may be significant)  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Machine - Numbers Don't Match
(10-15-2017, 05:41 PM)Aardvark08 Wrote: I  have been cruising for years with a Respironics System One Bipap with AHI's consistently under 5 with occasional pop to 7/8. When I thought it had died, I bought a PR 60 APAP, Respironics as I did not have coverage at the time for a new Bipap. Same heavenly results, same numbers as with the BiPap. Bipap was miraculously repaired by some serious techs, and for the last year, same consistent results compared on Sleepyhead.  Enter Resmed Autoset 10 (new coverage). Bang, numbers all over the place during the last month.  Same pressures 8-15 with a 2 EPR (compared to BiPap/Apap 8-10 floating to 15) I'm. using the same masks, ditched the narrow tubing and changed the setting in the Resmed, just to compare apples to apples.  I had a 31.8 this morning, for instance! Sleepyhead showed lots of OA.  I have never seen a number like that in the last 8 years.  Resmed is onsistently showing 11-17. I'm rested, I am not suffering unusual awakenings, no open mouth dry gape syndromes. My nights feel the same as the Respironics but the numbers are telling a different story on Resmed. Any idea what's up?  I would appreciate your help. (Oh, and I live at 7200' if that may be significant)  Thanks

It is recommended that you post SleepyHead charts here to illustrate your questions, and then someone will be along to help you figure things out.

The specs for posting SleepyHead charts here are in the wiki.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting! Yeah, SH charts would help. It could be just the difference in the machine algorithm. But that big a difference? Huh.

If you could, please post a night or two that shows what is happening. Let's take a look.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

And since you are a new user, here is how to post the image links:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...New-Member
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.  
Keep in mind that the ResMed machines have a different algorithm than PR machines.

Remember EPAP controls Obstructive events.

Settings are treated differently between APAP and BiPAP.

APAP             BiPAP
Max IPAP 15
Min IPAP   8
EPR          2
EPAP        IPAP-EPR        
Min EPAP                        8
Max EPAP                     15
PS                                 5
IPAP                             EPAP + PS

IPAP           8-15       13-20
   EPAP          8-13       8-15
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Aardvark08,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions, good luck as you continue CPAP therapy and get used to your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much.  It is great to be able to discuss this with someone!
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a Air Sense for Her by chance?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
No, just plain ol' Air Sense. (Are they different?)
Post Reply Post Reply
Just FYI, you can find the Dreamstation DSX700T11 Auto BiPAP which is the Respironics Auto BiPAP with heated humidifier and hose on Amazon for $770. This should be nearly Iidentical in therapy to your PRS1 60 Series BiPAP Auto. With that aside, the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is a different animal, so we need to know more about your previous settings. Specifically:
Mode (BiPAP Auto or BiPAP-S)
EPAP min
EPAP max
PS min
PS max
IPAP max.

Can probably set you up pretty closely, but the Resmed machine is more responsive to certain obstructive cues. If you can post data, we might be able to be more precise. If you were on fixed 15/8 (pressure support 7.0), the Autoset cannot come close with only 3-cm in exhale pressure relief.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2017, 08:05 PM)Aardvark08 Wrote: No, just plain ol' Air Sense. (Are they different?)

They are  but it doesn't apply to your situation. I was just trying to rule it out.

Follow Sleeprider's advice. I've heard one or two people say he's OK.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 352 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 604 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,017 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,147 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Numbers are better but I feel worse LikeaGlove90 2 509 09-24-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90
Sad Waking up around 4-5am every night. Occasional Aerophagia. Good numbers? jkang9080 3 537 08-22-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.