Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Machine and Insurance
New Machine and Insurance
So ... I had an in-home test recently to make my new ENT (recently hired by my "old" ENT) happy.

He came up with a new script, and his DME contacted me. I spoke with someone there who was very nice, but told me they don't participate in my insurance plan. I'll have to meet a $500 deductible and then pay an additional percentage ... total bill is something like $650. They only carry Airsense and Dreamstation machines (which sounds good) ...

Sigh.

I'm going to call my insurance company and attempt to find a DME in their network.

$600 is worth it in terms of better sleep (I've been back on the CPAP and IMO I feel better with the APAP ... of course it could also be confirmation bias).

We'll see.

-Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Machine and Insurance
(05-18-2017, 04:44 PM)dosco Wrote: So ... I had an in-home test recently to make my new ENT (recently hired by my "old" ENT) happy.

He came up with a new script, and his DME contacted me. I spoke with someone there who was very nice, but told me they don't participate in my insurance plan. I'll have to meet a $500 deductible and then pay an additional percentage ... total bill is something like $650. They only carry Airsense and Dreamstation machines (which sounds good) ...

Sigh.

I'm going to call my insurance company and attempt to find a DME in their network.

$600 is worth it in terms of better sleep (I've been back on the CPAP and IMO I feel better with the APAP ... of course it could also be confirmation bias).

We'll see.

-Dave

Dave,

With all due respect to the parties involved, I would never take the advice of a DME or a physician connected with a particular DME without doing my own research. Beware of referrals, kickbacks, and laziness.

As for insurance, it does not hurt to ask for "non-insurance" pricing and/or "package (machine, mask, hose, case, DC power adapter, etc.) pricing,. Remember, you are the customer, its your money, and there are any number of vendors offering the exact same product line.

By all means check with your insurance company -- and if you are on a company insurance plan, ask the company for the name of their representatives. It appears that some insurance companies -- especially those with outside representation -- are afraid to lose the company's business should employees start looking for better deals. Being "in network" is often better that being "out of pocket."

While there may be manufacturer's price limitations on the machine. there is nothing from preventing them from discounting other items to sweeten the deal. Also, ask if the deductible applies to physician services, equipment, or both. Negotiation -- not capitulation. And, don't be fooled by the "service" issue -- warranty repairs can be done by any authorized DME who usually returns the machine to the manufacturer.

Best of luck with a better night's sleep.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Machine and Insurance
The big question is, are they quoting an auto machine, or the cheapest option? You can stay in-network, and get the auto machine for less, or just go buy from Amazon for about $430 for a Dreamstation Auto.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 221 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 254 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,794 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 406 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,535 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,286 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Question on Sleep Study and Insurance mawaw1992 11 893 10-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.