Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Mask - Compare to the P10?
RE: New Mask - Compare to the P10?
(02-27-2015, 09:41 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Is there evidence that Philips does not do focus groups?

Only need to look at their machines as I said.
Post Reply Post Reply
So that is an assumption based on your observations of their designs. Do not get me wrong, I use a Resmed machine and a Resmed mask and I like them. So I am not necessarily pro-Philips and the Philips machines have some things to recommend them too.

About focus groups... Focus groups are often held away from the headquarters of the company sponsoring them. I have been involved in a number of focus groups in Southern California for companies headquartered on the east coast. Here is another focus group question to ponder. Since Resmed's largest market is in the U.S., why are the focus groups not held in the U.S.? Just a matter of curiosity, not trying to demean those of you from down under. We know that you are smarter than we are otherwise how would you be able to stay attached to the bottom side of the earth? Big Grin

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2015, 02:23 PM)PaytonA Wrote: So that is an assumption based on your observations of their designs. Do not get me wrong, I use a Resmed machine and a Resmed mask and I like them. So I am not necessarily pro-Philips and the Philips machines have some things to recommend them too.

About focus groups... Focus groups are often held away from the headquarters of the company sponsoring them. I have been involved in a number of focus groups in Southern California for companies headquartered on the east coast. Here is another focus group question to ponder. Since Resmed's largest market is in the U.S., why are the focus groups not held in the U.S.? Just a matter of curiosity, not trying to demean those of you from down under. We know that you are smarter than we are otherwise how would you be able to stay attached to the bottom side of the earth? Big Grin

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Resmed's Head Office was about 3 suburbs away from where they held the focus groups. They were held in a house converted by the Research Company. They used one large room to sit us around a table and there was a 2 way mirror behind which sat Resmed and research company people. It was also being filmed.

So they were right there and that helped everyone be honest and know the messages were not being diluted or altered along the way. We got to try on a sh*t load of maks from all suppliers as well as resmed prototypes.

Now Resmed is probably doing focus groups near their US office as well... You can always call them and ask how one gets involved.

All I know is the women in the groups said they wanted a machine and mask that looked good. So resmed made "for her" masks, made the S9 look like a cd/clock radio, and ultimately the Airsense 10 for her. They even showed us a range of fabric colours and asked what we thought. Ultimately you want the equipment to look good so you don't feel like you have a life-saving medical device in your house.

Feel free to put sh*t on that, mister glass half empty :p

Post Reply Post Reply
Well gee whillikers, they did not talk to me. Sad Actually I think Resmed does a good job and they also charge a little extra for it which is OK. All I was trying in my own unenlightened way to point out is that we do not know what Philips has been doing and/or planning along these lines.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have now conducted an exhaustive trial of the new, although it it's not actually new, "Probasics Stealth" pillows mask. I'm not submitting this to our formal "review" threads because I feel one should spend a bit more time with a mask than I have with this one before making a final judgement. The mask looks interesting when it comes out of the baggie. I actually had 5 sets of pillows to choose from: 1 large, 2 medium, a small, and a ridiculously small. In addition to which the pillows can pop off the little frame thingies and are therefore interchangeable with any of the other frame thingies. That provides for -- let me think: 4 different mask holder thingies, times 4 different pillow sizes of which one or two can be swapped to the other mask thingie.......... That's 1 1/2 plethora of options. Enough to accommodate even the most persnickety of nosies I think.

I like the straps. If I could, I would retrofit them to a P10 and send them to Paula. That way when she finally sees the light and converts to the P10 she'll be happier with the straps. No need though: she'll come around anyhow. Resistance is futile.

Assembly was straight-forward and intuitive. Then, once put together, I took the whole thing apart and did it the way they thought it should be done.

Finally it came time for the true test. I hoped this mask might let me forgo my chinstrap. I don't even know why I thought that. But it made sense at the time. Anyhow, masked up I pushed the cute little button on my S9 and air began to gently flow. All through the room. Into my eyes and ears and hair and socks. Just not into my nose. I could no longer here the television because of the airflow. The puppies began to bark excitedly.

My successful test concluded, I turned off the cute little button on my S9, disconnected the mask, and threw it across the room where it became an instant pull toy for the puppies. So all in all, I would say a success.

I put my P10 back on and went to sleep.

End of review.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the non formal review, I guess when my time comes to try pillows I won't be that mask.....It sounded to good to be true and too cheap (inexpensive) well cheap from the sounds of it , but it's not all about headgear is it.
I will say I'm still enjoying the Eson nasal mask for the time being, and the way it looks if it isn't broke don't fix it!
Thanks again and..........
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how does p10 compare with p30i singergal67 6 642 09-03-2023, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Idea Let’s compare heart rate charts! YouTakeMyBreathAway 2 615 07-26-2023, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  [Diagnosis] Low AHI and Headache: Compare Stats Request haikuclue 8 918 06-26-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Marillion
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,530 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense11 compare to Airsense10? Dolla Bill 4 991 01-28-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.