Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Mask - Dry Mouth
New Mask - Dry Mouth
I recently got a new mask.  I went from the Brevida Nasal Pillow to the Res Med AirFit N20.  It gave me much more air and I am able to begin sleeping.  However, I am waking up several times with dry mouth.  My gums, mouth and tongue are all dry.  I turned the humidity up to 8 and turned the heat down to 81.  No difference.  I also put the humidifier on in the room.  Any help on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Mask - Dry Mouth
My guess is that you are mouth breathing. What does your leak rate look like? I have the same mask and like it better than any I’ve had but I have to wear a chin strap or else my mouth comes open during sleep and gets dried out. I’ve grown to hate the chin strap worse than CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I also think you are mouth breathing. have a search of the site for mouth breathing threads, there are lots. I gave up on nasal masks and went face mask f20 in the end.

Now why you didn't get symptoms of your mouth breathing before, with the pillows. I can only guess at. You could put sleepyhead charts up of both masks and see if anyone can tell what is going on.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think you are mouth breathing, I think the air is escaping through your mouth.  It will be even worse if you sleep on your back.
Try a chin strap or use a bandage to keep your mouth shut for a night just to see if that improves things.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
You may be mouth breathing, you may need Biotene, but how about a water bottle with straw so you can take gulps in the night without removing your getup?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2017, 07:27 AM)ajack Wrote: Yes, I also think you are mouth breathing. have a search of the site for mouth breathing threads, there are lots. I gave up on nasal masks and went face mask f20 in the end.

Now why you didn't get symptoms of your mouth breathing before, with the pillows. I can only guess at. You could put sleepyhead charts up of both masks and see if anyone can tell what is going on.

Have any issues with leaks from the F20? I was going to try one on but my DME was out of them the day I was in there. I ended up coming home with a N20. The RT at my DME said there was no way that a FFM would seal as well as the N20, but I'm still going to try one.

I'm using a Papcap with the N20 at the moment and I like it better than any other chin strap I've tried, but it's still worse than the mask. I've tried the N20 without the chin strap a few nights and it is so much more comfortable but I always have a lot of large leaks and a dry mouth.

Haven't tried taping, but I might soon if all else fails.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I got the F20 all leaks stopped COMPLETELY, it's been great for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience is: when the mouth is dry, the mouth was open leaking air. Nothing to do with heater and humidifier Settings.These will mainly affect the nose and nasopharynx. You might try a chin strap. But possibly the air pressure is set too high as well.

I have been through this personally and I have now settled with 9-10mbar again without chin strap and I'm also better on AHI, Tidal Volume and Respiratory Rate. Before with pressure Settings >10mbar my mouth would obviously open during the night leaking excess pressure.
Try with 9.5 or 9mbar settings with the new mask. It might resolve. Give it a couple of days try.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 17 2 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 360 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 800 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.