Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Mask - Leaks or nothing to worry about?
New Mask - Leaks or nothing to worry about?
For the past 2 1/2 months, I have been using FFMs.  In my quest to find 'the' mask, I recently purchased and began using a F&P Brevida mask two nights ago.  The mask is very comfortable and I am using it along with taping my mouth.  (cover roll with a small slit).  When I review my OSCAR data (attached), I see what appears to be a small constant leak  (1-8cm) that lasts almost the entire night.  I also see some larger leaks that I assume are mouth leaks.  Since the Brevida is a pillow style mask, I did not expect to see (what appears to be) a constant small leak.  I have verified that the cushion is firmly seated on the frame and I don't feel any leaks around the nose, etc.  When I remove the cushion in the morning to clean it, I do find some minor condensation on the frame (essentially between the frame and the cushion).  

So, my question is.. Is this small constant leak to be expected with a Pillow mask, or might I have a defective mask?     In general, are the leaks anything to be concerned about?  I find that I am sleeping a bit better than with the FFM and seem to wake up less overnight.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Mask - Leaks or nothing to worry about?
Under Resmed's criteria, any leak under 24 liters/minute is acceptable. Since your 95% score appears ok, I would keep going and try to tame the large leaks first. Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been having the same issue with the small leak, and like you have been using the Brevida. I recently switched to the P10, which has been working well, maybe a hair better than the Brevida.
Still, I do have a low level constant leak running at about 6L/min.
As srlevine1 mentions, it is way below the 24L/min threshold set by Resmed, so I'm not too worried about this leak. Would love to have ZERO as the number, but I'll take anything to stay below 24.
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as leaks under the Large Leak threshold don't bother you, they are nothing to be concerned about. If they bother you, that's another story.

Finding the right mask for your unique facial contours can be a big challenge, and it sounds as though you've found a keeper.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have searched The Forum for the definition of an acceptable level (ie percentage) of large leaks.
There is plenty of advice on what constitutes a large leak, but I have found nothing about what percentage is acceptable.
Sometimes mine is as high as 10%, often it is less than 1%. Is there a measurement that is defined as acceptable? Is it just based on how the user feels the next day?
I have tried a variety of masks, with no consistent difference in the percentage of large leaks.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyDwarf, probably if you don't make the small slit in the tape you would achieve better results. I use tape that covers completely and don't have any problem with it.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 283 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 138 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 160 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 107 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 497 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 764 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.