Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Mask Size
New Mask Size
My DME supplier allowed me to exchange my Quattro FX size "medium" for a size "large" today... hope that fixes my leak problem. With the "medium" size mask after several hours of sleep my mouth would fall open and break the lower seal waking me up. Using the Quattro FX included sizing tool it appears the larger mask would fit better. My DME supplier has been a jewel to work with, I couldn't ask for a more personable and professional organization. I can't wait to see if this mask resolves the leakage issue!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Mask Size
Good luck and let us know how it works out. The Quattro FX in size medium works great for me! Sounds like you have a very good DME...hang onto them. I haven't been too impressed with the one that I've "worked" with. Welcome to the Apnea Board too! Welcome
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2012, 07:20 PM)312capri Wrote: My DME supplier allowed me to exchange my Quattro FX size "medium" for a size "large" today...

I had to look up the Quattro I thought for a minute that it was along the same lines as my Swift and I was thinking "I got Large, Medium and Small with mine!" LOL! Now I realize Quattro is a mask as opposed to the Swift pillows. I guess I owe your DME an apology for what I was thinking! I do like that about the nasal pillows. It is so easy and cheap to give the patient multiple sizes that it really doesn't always make sense not to! I hope your new mask works well for you!
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks B26, I'm Jim. The really great part is they put my "medium" in a bag with my name and told me if the "large" doesn't work I can trade it back! I slipped the "large" on when I returned home and believe it will work better! But as the old saying goes the proof of the pudding is in the eating.... Tomorrow morning will tell a lot!

This place is great!
Post Reply Post Reply
You are VERY fortunate to have such a good DME and I hope that continues, and I hope the new mask works out better for you. I have had good success with my DME, too. There was one thing I had to get straight. The first time one of the people came out to set me up with my first machine, (A Respironics ds200S,) I asked her a question about what the buttons under the door wer for and she said, oh you won't need to know that and I told her, Hey! waite a minute,! if I'm going to have this machine in my house, I want to know what they were for and she finally told me that they were for settings. Why,! we wouldn't want any one to know that now would we (Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha?) Just kiding, of course, I think it is extremely important to know how the machines work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I've prepared a letter to the DME's corporate Operations Manager, to provide recognition to the local staff! They have been the best!
Post Reply Post Reply
Isn't suppose how it should work with the 30 days mask return
can someone let me know if the Quattro FX medium and large size cushion fit on the same mask frame...............Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2012, 12:13 AM)zonk Wrote: Isn't suppose how it should work with the 30 days mask return
can someone let me know if the Quattro FX medium and large size cushion fit on the same mask frame...............Thanks

Negative...the different size mask cushions each require a corresponding size mask frame. They are not interchangeable. You can interchange the difference size headgear and the quick connect elbow.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask fit is a science and an art. Personally, from other areas of experise, it is my opinion that you want a few things in a mask. You want it to be sitting on the fleshy parts of the cheek and not on your eyeballs. You want a forehead brace to remove pressure from the bridge of your nose and permit adjustment to 'perfection' in terms of a seal. You want the largest mask that your face will permit as the wider the space between cushion perimeters, the more stable the mask is going to be on your face. You want headgear that is going to provide ideal 'pressure' around the cusions and I often thing about adding a piece of velcro to my Quattro FFM to give me that little extra push right in the middle of the mask.. I have found over the years (I own five of the Quattro FFM's now) that if I am into the 'face fart' range, a simply pressure (very light) on the middle of the mask will eliminate them. Then I have to pull the mask away from my face and settle it back down a few times to get it seated 'just right'. I am generally good for the night after that so I have never bothered. I started with nasal pillows and quickly dumped them as having too much leakage (I am also a pillow 'smoosher' and one's face against the pillow tends to deform the platform that the pillows have to work with... ditto nosebags). I then tried nasal masks and found that my wife was gently squeezing my lips closed or pushing up on my chin at night. Taping was suggested, as in taping my jaw closed. Sorry folks, I have a friend who threw up in that situation and wound up dead as a result from asphyxiation. Then I went to full face masks and tried a couple that were horrific before coming across the ResMed Quattro. I have not found a mask as close to perfection as the Quattro and not only is it comfy as heck; my leak rate is the stated leak rate for the mask and rarely varies once I am asleep with a well adjusted mask. And to top it off, if my nose plugs up from allergies during the night I wind up mouth breathing and continue solid sleep through the night excepting for (forget the scientific name for it) that tends to give me 'the wind'. With the Paleo like diet, however, and avoidance of gas producing veggies (Oh I miss my brussel sprouts) it's not too bad. For the wife. For my part I am quite happy to break wind all night if mouth breathing and consuming air.

So, short answer: Mask fitting is not just a science (e.g. fitting guide) but, rather, is more of an art. One needs to know what they are looking for in a mask and what they can stand. Full face masks, IMHO, are best as they are much more stable platforms, but everyone has their own preference. Sizing the mask is essential - you want the largest possible mask that fits without messing with your eyeballs. That will give you the best possible interface to your face.

One other thing that comes to mind and that is simply this: Regardless of mask, you should have a PAP machine that has exhalation relief, otherwise you may tend to blow the seal of the mask/face when you exhale. I have an S9 and have it set for maximum EPR always. Very important, in especially with ResMed masks that use two thin films of vinyl that really require inflation by the air pressure of the PAP machine as it is a fine line and a sudden increase in pressure in the mask on exhalation will give you 'face farts', wake up whomever is sleeping with you (girlfriend, boyfriend, wife.. but not all at the same time, huh?) and disturb your night of sleep (whether you awaken to consciousness or not... it just has to prevent that all-important REM sleep, right?).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, great material! Well I slept with the new mask and being larger I found it also had issues... I am going to try for several nights before I make my final decision... I find the larger size is much closer to my eyes, but also extends much farther down below my lower lip... I believe it will take several nights to really see which size is best...

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 471 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 332 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Hose [size difference] Johnboy 10 3,787 09-22-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Dreamstation 2 SD card size? MontanaGoat 2 676 08-18-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: MontanaGoat
  How to size F30i *frame* before purchasing tfield98 3 798 05-13-2023, 04:36 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Tube size… robsmuir 2 619 04-02-2023, 10:15 AM
Last Post: robsmuir

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.