Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Masks
New Masks
I obtained a new Swift FX nasal mask last week from my DME. I really enjoy my DME provider but something bothered me a little bit this time. This model mask comes with 3 sizes of nasal pillows in the package---small, medium, and large. The DME provider removed the other 2 nasal pillows and left me the one that I use. Am I wrong to think that he should exchange the 2 pillows he removes for the size I use. DME bills my insurance for new pillows every time. It just seems to me that he should not take something that is in the package without offering and exchange for what he takes. What do you think? Am I being petty?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Masks
the lousy DME is a crook
the mask comes with 3 pillows, its yours to keep and you might later want to try the other sizes
me going to bed - Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bingo49002, I have always gotten three (3) different sizes of pillows with each mask. Since you haven't had any trouble up to this point with your DME, you might ask them about this and I don't think you are being petty, you should at least get the three sizes of pillows.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2012, 06:23 AM)bingo49002 Wrote: The DME provider removed the other 2 nasal pillows and left me the one that I use. Am I wrong to think that he should exchange the 2 pillows he removes for the size I use. DME bills my insurance for new pillows every time. It just seems to me that he should not take something that is in the package without offering and exchange for what he takes. What do you think? Am I being petty?

This is actually a version of insurance fraud - billing insurance companies for a product that was not delivered to the customer. You are absolutely 100% correct.

If the DME gives you any gruff, tell them that you're considering turning them in for insurance fraud to the state department of insurance or at least contacting your insurance company to issue a complaint.

No excuse for this. They are taking your extra nasal pillows and handing them out to other customers and likely charging those customers for your extra pillows (and possibly billing insurance for these as well). [in effect, double-billing the insurance company for something]

Unacceptable. You paid for it through your insurance and you have every right to the product you paid for.

Cool
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
maybe give the DME the benefit of the doubt (not a crook)
just following insurance instruction and gives stuff on need basis
so insurance pay what you actually use to stop the fraud
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no separate insurance or Medicare billing code for the individual small, medium and large nasal pillows included with the full Swift FX nasal mask package. If they are billing for an entire mask, (that is billed as one unit), this includes mask, headgear and the 3 nasal pillows that came with the mask, because that's the way the manufacturer ships them.

I think Bingo is correct in saying that they either ought to:

1. Give Bingo all the complete, unopened mask package, including the 3 sizes of pillows...

or

2. At least replace the remaining 2 pillows with the same size as Bingo uses.

Anything less than this is fraud, IMHO.

If (for instance) Bingo uses the medium nasal pillows, and the DME removed the small and large pillows from the package, this tells me that they are retaining the small & large pillows for their "own purposes", which may include giving them out to other patients (theft and redistribution) or worse, giving them out to other patients and also billing insurance a second time for the distribution of those nasal pillows when they are given to other patients (insurance fraud).

But, then again, I hear all the horror stories of DME shenanigans every single day it seems-- I've become rather intolerant of this ongoing attempted fraud that many DMEs perform on a regular basis. Thinking-about

This is very similar to the practice with some DMEs of handing over a used, older technology CPAP machine to a patient, then billing insurance or Medicare for the complete cost of a brand new modern CPAP machine. This happens A LOT, and it's fraud also.

"The system" is too stressed to police these issues in a proper way. On Apnea Board, we promote "patient empowerment", and along with that empowerment comes "patient responsibility". Part of our collective responsibility is to help police these abuses within the system ourselves. It's only costing us in the long run with higher insurance premiums or Medicare taxes if we allow these DME companies to scam the system with our money.

The DMEs are counting that the patients will just grow weary of "trying to fight the system" and simply drop any complaints out of sheer exhaustion. Nobody wants to call up the insurance company and complain because it's likely to take an hour or two on the phone with several call-backs and clueless phone reps that just want to get you off the line. So, we're kind of alone in this. Then the DME wins, and we end up paying more and more for health care.

Oh-jeez
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Amen, brother, preach it.

Of course, we're the choir....
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I,m just about going to see the doc but just speaking about Medicare fraud ... it reminded me of this news
Authorities charge 91 in $430 million Medicare fraud
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/0...7320121004
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2012, 05:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Amen, brother, preach it.

...waiting for Zonk's picture of a choir....

wait for it.... wait for it.... Coffee

(it's morning in OZ, and he's probably close to finishing his coffee and fried Kangaroo eggs or whatever they eat down under... Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2012, 05:54 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(10-04-2012, 05:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Amen, brother, preach it.

...waiting for Zonk's picture of a choir....

wait for it.... wait for it.... Coffee
maybe be later .. got to rush for doc appointment
1 hours drive in heavy morning traffic

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,709 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 508 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 428 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 518 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 521 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 448 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 491 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.