Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Medicare CPAP Policy 1 July 2013
New Medicare CPAP Policy 1 July 2013
Has anyone else received a letter from Medicare about the new policy in effect on 1 July 2013 about diabetic testing supplies. It is not only for diabetic testing supplies. You can go to medicare.gov/supplier and scroll down to CPAP. They have a new Preferred Supplier list and Medicare will only pay the suppliers on the new list. Many of the previous suppliers have not been included in the new list. If your supplier has been dropped they probably will ask for the CPAP machine back on 1 July 2013 and you will have to get your CPAP from a new approved supplier. One new supplier told me that if you have been receiving a CPAP machine for 13 months, or more that, the machine is yours. My supplier has been dropped. When I called Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 I asked about the policy and they confirmed it. My present supplier has been dropped. They said they had put in for acceptance but have not heard back yet. According to the Medicare agent I spoke to if they have not been notified of their acceptance by now they probably won't be. Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Medicare CPAP Policy 1 July 2013
Thanks for the link Bob. Quite an eye opener!!! Thanks
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare.gov is a non-commercial government website. We can post full links to them here, no problem. I couldn't find the specific page you're talking about...

Can you post the full web address for the page you're talking about?

Thanks!

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Go to:

http://medicare.gov/SupplierDirectory/?A...eSupport=1

enter your zip code and then click on CPAP.

This program is called Competitive Bid. If the supplier is not on the list Medicare will not pay them as I have been told. The companies not on the list, like my present supplier, will no longer provide CPAP equipment and cannot bill and get paid by Medicare.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2013, 10:34 AM)BobF Wrote: Go to:
http://medicare.gov/SupplierDirectory/?A...eSupport=1
enter your zip code and then click on CPAP.
This program is called Competitive Bid. If the supplier is not on the list Medicare will not pay them as I have been told. The companies not on the list, like my present supplier, will no longer provide CPAP equipment and cannot bill and get paid by Medicare.

Very interesting. My DME, the largest DME in this city, is not on the list. They have been in business here for nearly half a century, employ at least a hundred people, and I bet their income from Medicare is at least a quarter of their revenue, maybe the majority. I can't believe they're not on the list.

I wonder if the above website is up to date. I bet there are a lot of recently approved DMEs that have not yet been added to the website.
Post Reply Post Reply
How strange. My wheelchair supplier isn't on the list (got to call them and find out!) but in that list is Advance (a supplier I am in the process to switch to. In the CPAP list, Advance isn't listed.

And, by the way, Hoveround (a crappy, crappy "wheelchair") is on the list? Seriously?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Call your own suppliers and ask them if they will continue to supply your needs and get paid by Medicare after 1 July 2013. Mine (who is the largest supplier in my area) said they were not on the list but said they applied. The medicare agent told me that if they were not approved by now that they probably won't be. It would be interesting to all of us what you find out. Let's hear from others to see what they find out. Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder how this will affect those insurers that follow Medicare guidelines, such as TriCare?
Post Reply Post Reply
I just contacted our CPAP supplier. They are not on the list and will not be supplying Medicare after July 1. However, they told me if you have equipment that is still in the 13 month rental period you will have the option of keeping it and Medicare will continue to pay them for the machine AND SUPPLIES until the rental period is over. I also just received a letter outlining these terms. It is interesting that you also have the option of changing to a new, listed supplier and starting the 13 month rental all over.
Post Reply Post Reply
What next? This is very frustrating. Medicare has to pay for my supplies. Some DME because I can't afford to.I want to see a list and try to get my supplies thru them. When the long weekend is over I am going to make some calls. Luckily for now I have some pillows that are new and not opened yet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 203 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,788 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 669 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Medicare (US) and CPAPs KSMatthew 4 383 12-16-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.