Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello to all,

I have been diagnosed with a moderate case of sleep apnea 3 years ago (AHI was 15 at initial study), and have started my treatment at that time. Prescribed pressure was 9 cm H2O.

I purchased a ResMed S9 Elite unit and ResMed P10 nose pillows. Also a heated hose. After struggling with it for about a month (just couldn't get used to it), I simply gave up and placed my equipment in a closet.

3 years later, after experiencing some real poor sleep quality lately (tired all the time, waking up numerous times throughout the night), I decided to go for another sleep study. I've done the first study (without the CPAP), which I believe was a success (about 4-5 hours of sleep), and than the second (titration) study, which was a disaster (I did not sleep at all, even though they gave a sleeping pill). Still waiting for the results of these studies (it takes forever). Even though I know the result of the titration study (no result), I am still interested in getting the first study results.

In the meantime, I pulled out my old equipment and tried it last night. I've set my pressure to 6 (original prescription was 9), just because I wanted to give it a slow start. Ramp up from 4 to 6 in 30 minutes.

SleepyHead recorded 3 hours and 43 minutes of sleep time. I could not fall asleep for about an hour, maybe even hour and a half, then I slept for some time, and finally I turned it off early in the morning and got another 3 hours of sleep without CPAP. I estimate that the real sleep time hooked up to the machine was about 2 hours, 30 minutes, after deducting the initial no sleep time.

Anyway, here are my SleepyHead results:

Sleep time: 3:43
AHI: 1.88
Average Leak Rate: 1.81
90% Leak Rate: 7.20
Average pressure: 5.87

I am glad that I managed to get some sleep. The biggest issue was the fact that the hose was a big problem. Whenever I turned, it would pull back. Even though my mask (pillows) stayed in place, it was a big nuisance, waking me up. I am working on my hose management, using my bed headboard to guide the hose down vertically. Hopefully that will help.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I have a problem breathing through my left nostril, which doesn't make things any easier. It may be a case of deviated septum, but it certainly is a case of "flimsy nostrils", as what I've learned from another excellent post here on the forum. As I use my finger tip, place by the nostril, and push slightly out and up, my nostril opens up and breathing is much easier (almost normal, I'd say). I have used those nose cones that you place inside your nostrils, and they definitely help, but it is almost impossible to use nose pillows with those. Thinking of a full face mask, where I might be able to use the nose cones as well, but I am really very hesitant, after reading about so many leak problems with full face masks. Irritation of the skin with those could be another issue. Pillows are so much easier to wear, I suppose.

Sorry about this rather long post. I just wanted to say everything that came to my mind, trying to get back into the CPAP world and hopefully improve the quality of sleep.

Please feel free to post any helpful hints.

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member
Welcome

May we know which S9 you have -- look just above the start button.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
There are different hose lengths, and there are also hooks or arms to hold the hose up.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2017, 05:33 PM)justMongo Wrote: May we know which S9 you have -- look just above the start button.

It is ResMed S9 Elite with an added humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ppca,
WELCOME! to the forum!
Better luck to you the second time around with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
A quick follow-up, after my second night:

I increased my starting pressure from 4 to 4.6, and the maximum (constant) pressure from 6 to 7.

I tested this new setting, wanting to get used to it, in the evening, while watching TV. It lasted for about an hour. This still goes into SleepyHead's report, increasing my total sleep time, which wouldn't be quite accurate.

So this is what SleepyHead reported, for my second day of usage:

Sleep time: 7:22 (it was really more like 5:00, if testing and trying to fall asleep were to be deducted)
AHI: 0.14
Average Leak Rate: 1.65
90% Leak Rate: 0
Average pressure: 6.88

As for AHI section, the only thing showing is Clear Airway Index, with the value of 0.14. I am also pretty sure that it happened while I was still trying to fall asleep.

Anyway, while I assume that AHI of 0.14 is very good, I wonder if this makes any sense, after only 2 nights. As I mentioned in my original post, AHI at my initial sleep study, 3 years ago, was 15. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong.

As for the real quality of sleep, regardless of the very low AHI, I can't really say that I woke up refreshed. Still feeling pretty tired, a little bit of headache too (very common in the past). I wonder if I need more "good" nights, to feel some real improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
ppca, sounds like you're on the right track. Everybody responds differently to CPAP therapy. It took me about 1 1/2 months to really start to feel better during the day. It's great when you can notice a difference immediately but most people do take time to adjust and make up for all the years of sleep and oxygen deprivation.

Keep up the good work!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's normal to ease into the therapy a few hours every night. As long as you don't give up you'll notice the usage times getting longer eventually. Your AHI is really good (I wish mine was this low), you're not doing anything wrong. My guess is that the machine doesn't record many events because you are not actually sleeping much while hooked to the machine. Two nights is not enough for real conclusions.
It helped me to sling the hose over the headboard, and also added a homemade hose cover to it so it doesn't make noise when it moves. This way I wake up fewer times on account of the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your inputs.

(01-16-2017, 08:25 PM)Russatrice Wrote: My guess is that the machine doesn't record many events because you are not actually sleeping much while hooked to the machine.

That makes a lot of sense. While such a low AHI would be great, I just can't believe it is that good already. It would also explain why I still feel tired after waking up (not enough sleep yet).

As for the hose, I improvised a bit, also guiding it over the headboard. It's not too bad the way it is now. I may try to improve it further in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 487 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 996 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,530 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 970 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 448 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 420 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver
  New Member Newly Diagnosed Help With Interpreting lauradeaton 0 374 06-04-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: lauradeaton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.