Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gross 
Howdy-do,

Just dropping a post out here in anticipation of my machine's arrival, so I can get in front of the 4 post minimum to post links.

Was recently diagnosed with apnea, and still trying to learn what I can before I have to start using the machine

As it is now, I believe I've gone untreated for over 6 years. As a result, My diastolic reading is regularly in the triple digits, my leg muscles have been wasting away due to the fact that I never get more than two hours of uninterrupted sleep (so basically NO REM sleep), and my knee joints are trashed because there's not enough muscle mass left to support my torso. Also have an arortic aneurysm, but not sure if that's a result of this or not. Spaced out and droopy all the time. Get exhausted VERY fast, like within ten minutes of doing anything even remotely strenuous.

This is EXTREMELY disheartening to man like me who used to be known as "The Mule"...the guy everyone called when they needed something heavy moved. Wink

The doc that did my sleep study said they don't like to see more than 10 movements during a night's sleep. My study clocked at 92.

all I know is, I can't wait to get a decent night's sleep. Naturally, the stupid ins. company is making me wait NINE business days before I get mine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member
Welcome aboard
People like you an me are exactly why the forum is here. Stand by for some great advice and analysis from folks that have been where you are and understand your frustrations.

It has always amazed me how sleep apnea is such an emergency until you apply for funding; whether that be for equipment, medical bills or disability.

Once the DME retailer steps into the picture, it become the ol' hurry up and wait scenario.

Did you study produce a AHI- you'll find it is an important number to know goin forward.
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcom, you may want to download the Sleepyhead Software from the links at top of page and Roby Sues Sleepyhead guide for beginners, having this up and running will give you a great headstart to being able to see how your therapy is going. Perhaps you have thought of this and the reason for posting the four times.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2017, 01:56 PM)silversnore Wrote: Welcom, you may want to download the Sleepyhead Software from the links at top of page and Roby Sues Sleepyhead guide for beginners, having this up and running will give you a great headstart to being able to see how your therapy is going.  Perhaps you have thought of this and the reason for posting the four times.

hehe! Exactly!

I was reading up on some of the other posts, and saw the sleepyhead software. That's exactly what I intended to do!

I don't know what the AHI number is. My pulmonologist didn't share it with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is the way to do it, I did the same thing. There is alot of knowledge on this forum. Thanks to the members here I got a great start with minimal problems. Take advantage of their generosity, it will save you alot of heartaches. If fact the members here gave me enough advice that I talked the Doc into the machine I wanted and what presures to set it. Made one small adjustment and bingo, smooth sailing. I hope this for you as well!!

I see your are from Baltimore, is your user name crustycabs, or crustycrabs??? Can you send me a crabcake, no where but Maryland do I eat them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2017, 02:47 PM)Crustycabs Wrote: I don't know what the AHI number is. My pulmonologist didn't share it with me.

You should request a copy of your sleep study report which will include your AHI and other useful information. You are entitled to it and the information may be helpful down the road to forum members providing guidance.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
While you're waiting, do you know what machine is going to be dispensed? The best thing you can do with this period of "Limbo" is to contact your DME and make sure they are on the same page as you are. You can be certain that if you don't have an understanding up-front which machine you are getting, you will get one that may not meet your expectations. Assuming you have obstructive sleep apnea, you should be asking for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Second choice Philips Dreamstation Auto, either one with a heated hose. Do you know?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Crustycabs,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you start CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2017, 08:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: While you're waiting, do you know what machine is going to be dispensed?  The best thing you can do with this period of "Limbo" is to contact your DME and make sure they are on the same page as you are.  You can be certain that if you don't have an understanding up-front which machine you are getting, you will get one that may not meet your expectations.  Assuming you have obstructive sleep apnea, you should be asking for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  Second choice Philips Dreamstation Auto, either one with a heated hose.   Do you know?

I don't know what a DME is , but I love the shot of Yosemite in your avatar. My favorite place in the world!
Post Reply Post Reply
DME = the company that takes the doctors orders and acts as a supplier of the machine. They get paid by the insurance company often a flat fee. They make more money by supplying a cheaper machine if the doctor and you make it clear what you need.

Their are some good ones and lots of poor ones.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 199 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 535 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,097 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,619 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,069 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 495 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 459 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.