Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RE: New Member
Being the mule and hardheaded about 10 foot tall and bullet proof is not something do not know. But it does catch up with you, now to recover from that life you have work to do.

Years of damage can be repaired to some extent. CPAP will help a lot. Given sleep, oxygen and time your body will heal as much as it can. My personal experience took off the first night. I could tell the improvement in sleep. It took another six months to see the blood oxygen levels rise when off oxygen. After about the first year and the help of this forum I was able to start reducing my added oxygen needed to feel ok.

I now feel better than I have in 15 to 20 years. I should have taken better care of myself.

Momma said "If you are going to be stupid you had better be tough"

Sleep-well

You are the one that need to be informed and in control of your care. This forum can be a life changer. The good prople that are willing to share their life and pass on the hard lessons can make you better. You are not alone. You do need to do your homework by reading and rereading for understanding. The information and links here is more than a doctor gets going through school.

Do not quit, you will feel better. Then you can help others with your new life.

Okay

Post Reply Post Reply
Call your doctor and ask what machine he/she is recommending.  If it isn't a fully data capable auto cpap, then don't accept it.  

Be sure you know what the prescription says.  The DME (Durable Medical Equipment) provider can only give you what the doctor writes on the script.

Check with your insurance company for a list of DME's that they contract with.  

Just a heads up...a DME may try to give you a Cpap instead of an Apap (auto machine), or worse a "brick", this is a machine that cannot give you any useful data.

Get a copy of your Sleep Study and Script.

Link on some machines available, and which ones to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum! I am a recent member and can vouch for the amazing people here and the priceless help they will provide you. Knowledge is power so as was recommended, get a copy of your study, read everything you can on here, and ask questions. 

I've been on my machine now for not quite 3 weeks and I feel so much better already it is indescribable. When you get your machine, be patient - there will be adjustments and tweaks to be made to help you and the people here are very, very knowledgeable with advice that will help immensely. You will want to allow time between changes for your body to adjust to them so that is where the patience comes in.

And Sleepyhead is an incredible tool - you will find its wealth of information gleaned from your machine staggering!

Get ready for the best sleep you have had in years!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the great info so far, I contacted my sleep doc, and they're gonna mail my study and scrip to me. Once they do, I'll scan and share.

One more quick question...Once you folks get your machines dialed in and you start to get restorative sleep again, how often do the machine setings need to be adjusted for changes in the body acclimating? I'm sure this probably varies from person to person, but was hoping for a ballpark.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it varies per person, but the only real way of determining what is going on with your therapy is to install #SleepyHead software.
Changes in pressure should only be made in accordance to what type of apnea events you are having and the SH graphs and statistics information can guide you.
Of course, we will advise if you wish.   Smile

I like how you are taking charge of your therapy. It's good to talk to your doctor too, but sometimes they don't seem to check anything except compliance.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2017, 04:57 AM)Crustycabs Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 08:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: While you're waiting, do you know what machine is going to be dispensed?  The best thing you can do with this period of "Limbo" is to contact your DME and make sure they are on the same page as you are.  You can be certain that if you don't have an understanding up-front which machine you are getting, you will get one that may not meet your expectations.  Assuming you have obstructive sleep apnea, you should be asking for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  Second choice Philips Dreamstation Auto, either one with a heated hose.   Do you know?

I don't know what a DME is , but I love the shot of Yosemite in your avatar. My favorite place in the world!

I used to live in California and the picture was one of my own, of hundreds I have taken on various motorcycle trips to the park.  I think your question of DME was answered, and it's important to avoid a situation where the supplier has a financial interest with the doctor.  This makes for a conflict of interest that maximizes profit for the doctor and supplier, and minimizes the quality of care you get.  It's important to get a prescription that specifies Auto CPAP, and perhaps specifies the machine you want.

[Image: 20120516_0036.jpg]

Try this sometime: A shot from Tunnel View with no people.

[Image: 20120516_0032a.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My doc is a pretty thorough guy. Heck, he even ordered a low dose CT scan of my chest (which, naturally, the ins. co fought) due to my history of smoking when I was younger. Because of that, he discovered the aortic aneurysm that would have otherwise gone undetected.

I have the utmost confidence in his desire to have his patients treated properly, and am hoping that the scrip I get from him bears that out! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
When your Doc said he likes to see less than 10 movement was he referring to PLMD? That is similar to RLS but occurs when you are asleep. It can cause arousals just like SA can. As such, that will need to be treated also. At lest with that it can generally treated with a low dose medications, and does not cause desaturations in blood O2, but sure can mess up sleep.

Good luck, Welcome and keep us informed!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2017, 09:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 04:57 AM)Crustycabs Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 08:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: While you're waiting, do you know what machine is going to be dispensed?  The best thing you can do with this period of "Limbo" is to contact your DME and make sure they are on the same page as you are.  You can be certain that if you don't have an understanding up-front which machine you are getting, you will get one that may not meet your expectations.  Assuming you have obstructive sleep apnea, you should be asking for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  Second choice Philips Dreamstation Auto, either one with a heated hose.   Do you know?

I don't know what a DME is , but I love the shot of Yosemite in your avatar. My favorite place in the world!

I used to live in California and the picture was one of my own, of hundreds I have taken on various motorcycle trips to the park.  I think your question of DME was answered, and it's important to avoid a situation where the supplier has a financial interest with the doctor.  This makes for a conflict of interest that maximizes profit for the doctor and supplier, and minimizes the quality of care you get.  It's important to get a prescription that specifies Auto CPAP, and perhaps specifies the machine you want.

[Image: 20120516_0036.jpg]

Try this sometime: A shot from Tunnel View with no people.

[Image: 20120516_0032a.jpg]

hehe...with all the gear you're wearing, I bet it was a little too cool for most folk. prolly hy you got the unobstructed shot. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Photoshop Smile

We ride with all the gear all the time ATGATT, and it's not so hot as you think. Besides,any given ride will take us through the heat of the central valley to the summits of Tioga and Carson Passes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 499 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,560 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,014 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 458 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 430 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.