Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member/A Little Worried
RE: New Member/A Little Worried
1) Many have found that less pressure is required when using a nasal mask. Consider dropping down to 8 cm H2O for your minimum setting. It's no sin to start low and work up slowly as you get accustomed to the therapy. Starting at a high level has caused many to abandon the machine. Sad

2) Check your EPR to see if it's enabled. If not, enable it and set for #2 for testing for ear relief upon exhaling. If that isn't sufficient, move it to #3. EPR is a comfort feature and many newbies like it quite a lot. Later on, you may find it less needed and most long time users end up turning if off under most circumstances.

3) If you have trouble accepting the pressure when lying down to sleep, use the system while sitting and reading or watching TV or whatever so as to acclimate to the imposition faster. Trust me, it'll eventually become unnoticeable.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2016, 08:53 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: 2) Check your EPR to see if it's enabled. If not, enable it and set for #2 for testing for ear relief upon exhaling. If that isn't sufficient, move it to #3. EPR is a comfort feature and many newbies like it quite a lot. Later on, you may find it less needed and most long time users end up turning if off under most circumstances.

I don't see an EPR setting on my unit. ResMed 10 Airsense Autoset
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2016, 08:53 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: 1) Many have found that less pressure is required when using a nasal mask. Consider dropping down to 8 cm H2O for your minimum setting. It's no sin to start low and work up slowly as you get accustomed to the therapy. Starting at a high level has caused many to abandon the machine. Sad

2) Check your EPR to see if it's enabled. If not, enable it and set for #2 for testing for ear relief upon exhaling. If that isn't sufficient, move it to #3. EPR is a comfort feature and many newbies like it quite a lot. Later on, you may find it less needed and most long time users end up turning if off under most circumstances.

3) If you have trouble accepting the pressure when lying down to sleep, use the system while sitting and reading or watching TV or whatever so as to acclimate to the imposition faster. Trust me, it'll eventually become unnoticeable.

Dude

Found it, YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE LIFE SAVER. Why on earth would my nurse not have told me about that setting when I was complaining about ear pressure to her when she was showing me how to use it!??!? That makes a world of difference. I'm on EPR 3 btw, and my anxiety over trying to get to sleep went from insane anxiety to zero anxiety.

THANK YOU AGAIN
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a comfort setting that should be enabled for you, but sometimes the DME locks it out. Get the supplier manual so you know all about this machine http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual Meanwhile, press the control knob and home button at the same time to enter provider menus. Got to setup and scroll down to change a few things..

Got to Settings/Comfort/EPR and make sure it is on and set to full-time. This will enable EPR and you can set it from 1-3, with 1 being 1-cm, and 3 being 3-cm pressure relief. Also, if you see the word Essentials, select it and change it to Full so you have full data on the screen. You will also see mode and pressure settings. Be sure you are in Autoset mode. The manual should address any other questions you may have, but feel free toask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2016, 03:36 PM)JustMac Wrote: My insurance is forcing me to rent equipment for 3 months at a rate of $130/month, with machine paid off fully after 10 months of rental (I'll pay $39/mo out of pocket).

Paying $39 per month for ten months adds up to $390. That's a good deal. Take it, but make sure you get an auto-adjusting machine. While the resMed Elite is a good machine, it's not auto-adjusting.

The numbers you posted seem to verify that your girlfriend was right. Those hypopneas are lowering your blood oxygen level to the point that it's a health hazard. In addition to ruining every chance you have for a good night's sleep, your risk of heart attack or stroke are elevated. CPAP therapy can fix all of that for you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just had my first night. Wow.

I only slept for a total of 6.5 hours (and woke up several times in between to manage my hose), but I woke up more refreshed and alert than I have in years of "sleeping" a solid 8 hours.

The nasal pillows have left the base of my nose a bit sore, but nothing too bad and that seems like something that will go away in time. I used the chin strip along with my P10 and that kept my mouth closed all night. What a difference it is to wake up without cotton mouth and white gunk all over my mouth and lips!!!

Just inserted my SD card to sleepyhead, and here are some numbers for my fellow stat geeks:

First night AHI: 1.05 (diagnosed with 16.9)
First night obstructive index: 0.79
First night hypopnea index: 0.13
Clear Airway index: 0.13
RERA index: 0.40

Average leak rate: 1.49
90% leak rate: 3.60

Average Pressure: 11.88
Min pressure: 10
Max pressure: 15.16
90% pressure: 13.34
Average EPAP: 9.07
Min EPAP: 7.00
Max EPAP: 12.16

Still learning to understand what the numbers are. Anything interesting in this dataset? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=2923]

Just read the article on how to post graphs, so here are my graphs. Everything before 23:30 was me using the CPAP while sitting around awake to just get used to it. Any input appreciated! Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Well look at you! Great start, but don't get discouraged if you have some setback. It looks like you jumped right in at the right settings, and nice how you're using the correct averaging stats in SH.

Get a fleece CPAP hose cover for comfort. Don't forget to spread the straps on the P10 to relieve the fit just a little.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
What a nice trilogy! Good doctor > attentive patient > excellent results. Kudos!

From reading lots of past posts, it seems that using a larger size nasal pillow than first chosen helped many users, leakage and comfort wise. Also some users needed to use a lanolin based topical balm for relief from nasal chafing. Lansinoh is the brand name I recall and it is available at most pharmacies. OTC item, no script needed.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you got the pressure relief turned on and have you set it at a high relief i.e. 3.
This will help you breath out easier and may help with the pressure when you breath out.
Only thing to be aware of with the mask type you chose is air escaping through your mouth, especially in the early hours of the morning when tiny amounts that have been escaping dry out your mouth and air then escapes easily.
Also some people just open their mouth to breath through it when asleep.
Dry mouth, keep an eye on the problem.
However, it is possible to learn to keep your mouth shut while sleeping, I did.
Only wish I could keep my mouth shut at other times! Rolleyes Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,582 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 213 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 201 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 535 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,099 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,619 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  Is this Cheyne-Stokes? Should I be worried? spaceodyssey 8 664 10-26-2023, 07:46 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.