Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member Intro
RE: New Member Intro
The escape only records run hours it does not even provide AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
All CPAPs and advanced CPAPs (BiLevel/BiPAP/ASV) apply pressure which would splint open your airway and invalidate any test to see if you are apnea free.

You would need to monitor Respiratory effort (I think a strap and piezoelectric device to monitor chest expansion. Air Flow sensor tubes to measure air movement both nasal and oral.  Measure both the reduction and duration of reduction of airflow to determine if any apneas are present.

You mentioned Scuba.  Keep in mind that SCUBA is designed to be used for relatively short periods with long breaks in between (mostly for decompression), and is used exclusively while the user is awake.  CPAP is used mostly with the user asleep, there is a short (hopefully) transition period, then is used for relatively long periods of continuous use.
Post Reply Post Reply
Data Included 365 Days of Summary Data; Variable Amount of Detailed Data Including Usage Hours, Mask Seal, Humidification, AHI. You can use an SD card to download and read the summary info with ResScan. You can get a copy of ResScan in the members private files section.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
We cannot truly assist you in the "am I better" scenario because you are using a brick machine. You only know that you are using it and for how long each night. That's it.

Let's look at it this way:
You have diabetes. You once took insulin. I am assuming you regularly took your blood glucose readings and determined, using that data, how much insulin to administer and what to eat next. You could not and should not have been relying solely on the fact you weren't eating sugar for that meal and/or that you felt well, therefor you didn't need to take your medication.

The same goes for the treatment of sleep apnea. You are basing your assumption merely on how you feel. And while that is a good indicator, it isn't enough. You cannot stop using the CPAP just because you feel better and made lifestyle changes. Would you take less insulin based only on that same type of evidence? Nope.

My opinion would be to get a used APAP. One by Resmed since that is what you are used to. You can use Supplier #2 or you can use such things as Craigslist. If you do go used the last option, you want one from a non-smoker and you want an S9 Autoset or an A10 Autoset. No matter how much cheaper, do not go with the S8, as it is not only less than what you have now, they also have proprietary memory cards requiring their own card reader.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Is the machine in fixed pressure CPAP mode at 8.5 cm? That would be a starting point as to where you are at...

I just reviewed my previous post and it appears I didn't reply in totality.

When I started with the CPAP in 1990 or '91, I was sent home from the initial  sleep study with a suggested pressure of 7.0. I used that pressure for years, but my sleep deteriorated (my general impression is that my sleep got worse). In 2000, I asked for and was granted permission to increase the pressure to 8.5. I set the pressure to 8.0 and it didn't appear to make any difference-so I never increased my pressure to 8.5.

So, I currently have my CPAP set at 8.0, it's been at 8.0 since 1990.

BB
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula,

I have no intention of dropping the CPAP based on my 'feelings' or without my doctors sanction. However, in my position, it seems prudent to gather more information before paying for a full sleep study. This is my intent. Study, form hypothesis, repeat the cycle-Problem Solving 101.

Regarding diabetes, I used to take up to 200 units per day in 2 or 3 injections. When taking that large amount of insulin, my BG rarely dropped below 180. Today however, I take ZERO insulin and my BG ranges from 160 to 130. My doctor gives his blessing for the zero insulin doses.

I'm not stupid, I know my way around the internet and have done much studying on health issues as my health changes-in this case, the new diet has kept me busy as my old ailments drop into the trashcan. Sleep Apnea is the latest concern because my sleep is so much improved. I pride myself in being in touch with my body and I am considered a keen observer. I have no intention of diagnosing myself, however I do collect raw data for the purpose of submitting my own observations to my doctor. Historically, he rarely disagrees with me because I research the issues quite significantly. I am a strong believer in self-help, and I practice on myself. But, I do not make medical decisions on my own.

I'm glad to have the forum, where there is much experience and diversity within the membership.

Regards,

BB
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2018, 05:22 PM)BB63 Wrote: Good day all,

(04-09-2018, 01:42 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Data Included 365 Days of Summary Data; Variable Amount of Detailed Data Including Usage Hours, Mask Seal, Humidification, AHI. You can use an SD card to download and read the summary info with ResScan. You can get a copy of ResScan in the members private files section.

Does that machine take the same strange data card the S8 Escape II uses? In the unlikely event it does, I have a card I'd be glad to send to BB. (My recollection is that it takes a standard SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shawn, it's a standard SD card.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My recollection is the S8 uses a proprietary SD card but the S9 uses a standard SD card.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 221 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 540 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Some advice with aperia and intro cpap kit ifsmithy 2 329 12-18-2023, 12:42 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,109 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,627 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,073 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 500 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.