Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member Intro
RE: New Member Intro
Welcome fellow hose-head. Lots of great info here.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the intro, Carleen, and welcome to the forum. I'm relatively new to the forum and CPAP myself (just had my titration study last night) but I can tell you that everyone here is very helpful and will answer questions to the best of their ability. I'm always surprised at the wealth of knowledge the members have! Sorry to hear about your health issues, but just knowing that you're not alone helps all of us deal with the various issues we face. Keep the positive attitude and never hesitate to ask a question. :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2013, 03:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: And wow, a drop to 57? I think you win an award for that one. Congrats?

So I guess that 57 is not so good?

(11-23-2013, 03:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Have you seen Archangle's machine choice page? With all of your other fun things going on health wise, you will definitely want a data capable machine.

I don't think I get to choose the type of machine that my insurance company will provide. From what I know about it, there will 2 parts that snap together with one being the cpap part and the other being a humidifier. I guess that this four day titration study will determine which machine they give me. Thankfully, I don't have to pay anything for the machine or the supplies, so I won't complain.

(11-23-2013, 03:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: As for knowing about ACM, I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type. Chiari is something a lot of us have.

I'm familiar with the connection between ACM and EDS and am eternally grateful that I have to deal with only one! I know two people who have both, and their misery makes me appreciate mine. I had decompression surgery in 2006 with a bovine pericardium patch used to lift the tonsils out of the spinal canal as much as possible (they were protruding 8mm down) and ended up with a nickle-sized hole at the base of the skull and C1, C2, and C3 being removed. If sleeping was a challenge before the surgery, it became nearly impossible after because getting and staying in a position that didn't lead to a killer headache or muscle tension is a challenge that I have yet to master, even after all these years.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2013, 11:27 PM)iamcarleen Wrote: I don't think I get to choose the type of machine that my insurance company will provide. From what I know about it, there will 2 parts that snap together with one being the cpap part and the other being a humidifier. I guess that this four day titration study will determine which machine they give me. Thankfully, I don't have to pay anything for the machine or the supplies, so I won't complain.

Carleen, you DO have some say in what type of machine you get. Yes, your doctor will determine if you need a CPAP, Bi-Level, VPAP, etc, based on your titration study but you can ask for a specific brand and model from your DME. When I had my titration study last Friday night, I told the tech that I want a fully data capable Auto machine, so she noted on it my study. When the doctor reviews my results, he'll see my request and I believe he'll include that in my prescription, but if he doesn't, I plan to call him and get him to include it. I won't accept a compliance-only machine (which they refer to as a "brick").

Here's what you need to know: the DME bills the insurance company for a CPAP machine usually by a specific code. They know exactly how much the insurance company will pay for that billing code. So if they can give you a low-end machine, they generate a greater profit. Be insistent that they provide you with a fully data-capable machine and don't accept anything else. If they give you a hard time, tell them you'll go to another DME and then do it! Insurance may be paying for it, but who pays for the insurance? You do! (Well, we all do!) So make sure you are getting your money's worth. I think it's well worth your time to review Archangel's post and figure out which machine you want. I know exactly which make and model I want and I have already made sure that the DME that I'm going to use sells that brand and will get me the machine I want. And remember that you have a choice of DMEs too (unless you live somewhere where only one is within a reasonable commute). If the DME isn't cooperating, go somewhere else. They are a business like any other and they need to keep customer's happy to stay in business, so don't feel bad about voicing your wishes. Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 200 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 535 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Some advice with aperia and intro cpap kit ifsmithy 2 324 12-18-2023, 12:42 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,097 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,619 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,070 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 495 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.