Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member Intro. Hi!
New Member Intro. Hi!
Greetings everyone,

I have been lurking and learning for a bit as I had no info to offer, but I am excited to finally begin this journey. Bigwink

The best way to describe how I feel everyday is to say; ‘I’ve lost my groove’ It’s like My body is living as I have depression, but I have a great life and nothing to be sad about.  Dont-know

Symptoms:

I’m always sluggish.
I have nocturia at least 3 times a night.
I wake up in a fog that never goes away. 
When I wake up even after 8-10 Hours, I still want to go back to sleep.
I’ve lost interest in pretty much everything because I don’t have the energy.
I’m not absorbing many things I read and I’m way more forgetful.
It feels like an utter chore just to put one foot in front of the other. 
When I wake up my mouth is so dry that my tongue feels like beef Jerky.
Shortness if the breath.
I wake up in the middle of a dream feeling annoyed and taking deep breaths. I’m pretty sure that is recovery breaths.
SNORING LOUDLY. It is so loud, I wake up my DEAF husband! Oh-jeez Anytime I sleep somewhere, the first question I get asked when I wake up is “OMG, Are you ok?!? Unsure 

Health Issues:

I’ve been through other testing (thyroid etc) and I’m generally in good health. I need to lose weight, so I’ve given up my copious alcohol consumption (I’m an empty nester now, so was having too much fun). That was before Thanksgiving and so far successful. I suspect weight loss will be a cinch once I start CPAP. 

I have C7 Radiculopathy so that pretty much rules out side sleeping for long periods of time because my arms go numb. I can’t sleep on my stomach, so SUPINE is about my only option.

I have asthma that doesn’t bother me too often unless I have a cold.

Testing:

I did an ARES home sleep study on 11/02/19. I was diagnosed with OSA and ordered to do an in hospital titration study on 12/13/19. After waiting what feels like a century, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I will post the results of both in this thread.

The titration study was a HUGE eye opener. As I’m reading through this forum, I’m guessing I was one of the lucky ones. 

I wore a ResMed F20 AirTouch. Went to sleep, woke up a bunch of hours later feeling more rested than I can ever remember feeling. My head was clear, my thinking was sharp. I never felt the pressures or had a problem with them during the study. The Sleep tech said that in her 25 years, she had never seen someone “Rebound” as much as I had, and that I must not have had a quality sleep in a very long time. (I assume she meant REM REBOUND) 

Treatment

I FINALLY get my machine this Weds and I couldn’t be more excited. I’m a retired RN who is highly motivated in driving her own care, and will be very compliant. Plus, after the quality sleep I had the night of the titration study, I am CRAVING that quality sleep like a drug!! 

I don’t have a copy of my RX yet, but will see if DME can give me a copy. For now, I have the recommendations from the MD who read the study.

I have decided on the ResMed AirSense Autoset for her. After plowing through these forums for weeks, I can see it is highly recommended and people have had much to success with this machine. 

For mask, I have a very small face, so I’m going to try ResMed “For her” sizes To see if any are better than what I was given (F20 AirTouch), otherwise it was pretty comfy and I’ll stick with it.

I’ve have also ordered a hose cover.

Insurance:

I have BCBS Federal. They cover 70% and require 10 month compliance so I am renting it for $20 a month and my out of pocket portion will be $54. Reading about other people’s experiences with this makes me think this is a pretty good deal, yes? I feel the DME so far, is very reasonable.

Questions

Nobody has told me anything about this. I’ve only been told by the nurse at my doctors office That I have OSA and need a machine, that’s it, so any information you can get from my study, feel free to pass it along.  Smile

I will be downloading Oscar and figuring that out soon enough, I need to get a cheap lil computer so I can do it as I primarily, use my iPad and phone.

Now, am I correct in my understanding that I can get into clinicians settings and make my own adjustments (if necessary) DESPITE that I’m renting the machine for 10 months, or do I need to wait? 

Thanks everyone, I look forward to interacting with this wonderful treasure chest of a forum.

Addendum: I’m trying to figure out how to get my sleep study docs size to fit so I can attach them. What’s the best format for the sleep studies To be posted? Is there a thread that explains this somewhere? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member Intro. Hi!
Welcome to the forum

google resize image or resize pdf for instructions on resizing your sleep study.

Yes, the Clinical manual gives you info on how to set any setting.

Click on the CPAP Setup Manuals in the black banner at the top of the page.  Follow the instructions.  The response is manual so it will not be instant.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, it seems the best my tech skills can manage Without a computer at the moment is a link to a shared album I’ve made available. 

But it won’t let me post the link because i haven’t made 4 posts yet. Lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the link to my sleep studies. Both the ARES home study, and the titration Lab
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0j532ODWGZ8a7Q

[url=https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0j532ODWGZ8a7Q][/url]
Post Reply Post Reply
Sabina, welcome! You are completely on track for successful treatment of your apnea and for all that comes with being well-rested.

Even though you took to the mask and machine very well during titration, you might want to use them during the day on Wednesday to get yourself further acclimated. I would recommend doing that for several days before trying to sleep with your gear, but for you it probably makes sense for you to plunge right in on Wednesday night.

Don’t be discouraged if you encounter problems or find that the feeling of refreshment you had after titration is slow to return. If things go swimmingly, great; if they don’t, you will get excellent help from the experts here as you work your way toward your return to health.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip! Everyone here is so friendly and knowledgeable. As an old medical worker, it’s always interesting to learn new things, especially when you have a personal attachment to it.

I actually have worn it around a bit, at least enough to know that it’s not rubbing me wrong and whatnot.

I thought I’d have an issue because surgical masks drive me crazy, I can’t stand them. For some reason, I’ve had no issue with the FFM. ?‍♀️
Post Reply Post Reply
About half of your events are Central Apnea. It is possible that they are Treatment Emergent Central Apneas and a good chance they will go away in 2-3 months as your body gets used to its more efficient breathing.

Let's see how things look on your AutoSet.
Post Reply Post Reply
with half your events being CA and them only getting you to an AHI of 8.3 i would think they would have tried an ASV.

i could be wrong but isn't successfully treated an AHI below 5?
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting information. I’ll post some Oscar scores when I get it set it up. This is exactly why I posted here.

I told the doc my symptoms and I filled out the sleep score thingy. She said “a CPAP will change your life”. She scheduled sleep study. Had sleep study. They called and said yep OSA, here’s your titration date. Went to titration, doc calls back 3 weeks later, “go get your machine”.  

That is exactly how much I know about my condition. 

I’m determined to learn much, much more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep OSA is 1 Obstructive Apnea and 21 Central Apnea plus 24 obstructive hypopneas. Mixed or complex apnea at best.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Some advice with aperia and intro cpap kit ifsmithy 2 310 12-18-2023, 12:42 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,022 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,557 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 996 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 456 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.