Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member - Mild Apnea. Do I need CPAP?
RE: New Member - Mild Apnea. Do I need CPAP?
(02-25-2017, 11:32 PM)AshSF Wrote: How was your sleep architecture in your sleep study report. What %age of time sleeping was in R.E.M. Stage and in slow wave sleep.

One of the reason you feel tired during the day could be that you are not getting enough time in these deeper sleep stages that are necessary for the brain to rest.

When the body sees a flow limitation, it has 2 options to fix the impending apnea -
either knock you out of a deeper sleep stage to a shallower one and screw the sleep architecture
Or let the apnea event happen but maintain the sleep stage.

It may be that your body is using the latter of these 2 options and thus your AHI no is mild but your sleep architecture is messed up.

In both cases, a Cpap will help.

it says:

Sleep latency was prolonged. The sleep efficiency was very decreased. The total sleep time was decreased. The wake after sleep onset was increased and total sleep time decreased. The amount of REM sleep was normal as a percentage of total sleep time. The REM latency was increased. The total arousal index was increased by airflow limitation and spontaneous arousals. No consolidated sleep was noted until 4 am. 

Then they woke me up pretty early as I recall.

(02-25-2017, 11:55 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 10:43 PM)Snorilla Wrote: How do you exhale while a wind tunnel is shooting down your throat?

Quite easily, actually.  The pressure from the highest setting of the available CPAP machines is only about 1% of ambient sea level atmospheric pressure.  And most machines come with an exhalation pressure relief to make it even easier.  You might feel a bit strained for the first few nights, but your chest muscles will quickly adapt.  If you can blow up a balloon you can generate with your own diaphragm far more pressure than any commonly available CPAP machine.

Ok, that helps me a lot. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 12:10 AM)chill Wrote: Don't get hung up on the meaning of Mild, Moderate, and Severe AHI.  That is only describing frequency, not severity of the actual effects. Sleep apnea is like pregnancy, either you have it or your don't.  Mild sleep apnea is like being mildly pregnant for the first three months.   Grin  Those designations are mostly useful for research purposes to divide cases into categories.  Mild allows for a couple more viable treatment options (like a dental device).  You certainly sound like you have sleep apnea.  Difficulty concentrating during the day was my #1 symptom.

I think his point of view was that most people start CPAP but don't continue with it so it was better to try and avoid starting.  And the reason that most people don't continue is getting a poorly configured machine and no useful support.  We can help with that.

There is no "air shooting down your throat".  Unless my mask is leaking, I am rarely aware that I even have it on.  Several times a week, I will wake up and go to scratch my nose only to realize that I have a mask on.   The machines will blow a lot of air if the mask is not on your face.  Once the mask is on, they blow a small bit more than you normally breathe to increase the pressure and a bit more for the venting.  You would have to really concentrate to feel the very slight breeze there is.

Thank you so much. This is very useful. I was having all kinds of weird ideas. Like why wouldn't my co2 go back into the machine and then the machine will just spit it back at me and eventually kill me.  Grin Why can co2 escape, but everyone talks about air leaks?

So I guess the next step is to go over to the equipment section and talk about my choices over there?  Or Can I just bring it up now?

I have it narrowed down to these 3 machines in this order:

s9 autoset w H5i heated humidfier
dreamstation auto 
F & P Icon Auto 

and then this

Oracle HC452 Oral CPAP Mask from Supplier #1

which I know many people don't seem to like, but I am a complete mouth breather. Many people complained about dry mouth, but I wake up with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth already so that is nothing new. I don't see how it could be worse than it is. At least I will get a machine with a humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to thank everyone for your helpful responses. I can barely keep my eyes open right now so I'm going to bed, but I will check back in the morning. Thanks again. I feel hopeful.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason that the machine keeps blowing out air when you exhale is to prevent your CO2 from going back into the machine.  The flow from the machine forces the CO2 out of the mask vent.  That is the intentional leak.  The issue with unintentional leaks (around the mask seal) is mainly that you can feel the airflow and it wakes you up or keeps you awake.  If they are really BIG leaks, they can affect the benefit of the therapy.  The machine can deal with most leaks, but they are annoying.  The noise is also annoying to anyone in bed with you.

You are fine to discuss machine choices here.   The S9 AutoSet (or the newer S10) or DreamStation are good choices.  Those are the Big Two brands.  I like F&P masks but know little about their machines.

Is your nose totally blocked?  If not, I'd consider a full-face mask like the F&P Simplus.  I will also recommend that you see an ENT doc about what might be wrong.  Some minor surgery or treatment for chronic Rhinitis might bring your great benefit.  It did for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snorilla, I feel that I was in the same boat you are. Very mild sleep apnea, on the cusp of not being able to get a script from the doc. My main problems were bad snoring and restless nights leaving me tired throughout the day. I know there had to be a better. Fast forward, I have been on the machine for three weeks now and there has been noticeable improvement. First, snoring is gone. Wife has not heard me since I started and is much happier now. For the tiredness, I know that had improved for the better. Example is today I got my haircut. In the past, once I got situated in the chair, I seemed to be on the verge of falling out the chair because of sleep. Today, not once did I feel tired. It was actually pretty amazing, showing me that the treatment is working.

Wasn't happy I am bound by the mask but I wish I would have done it sooner. I feel better and my family/social life is much improved.

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 01:49 PM)Effers Wrote: Snorilla, I feel that I was in the same boat you are. Very mild sleep apnea, on the cusp of not being able to get a script from the doc. My main problems were bad snoring and restless nights leaving me tired throughout the day. I know there had to be a better. Fast forward, I have been on the machine for three weeks now and there has been noticeable improvement. First, snoring is gone. Wife has not heard me since I started and is much happier now. For the tiredness, I know that had improved for the better. Example is today I got my haircut. In the past, once I got situated in the chair, I seemed to be on the verge of falling out the chair because of sleep. Today, not once did I feel tired. It was actually pretty amazing, showing me that the treatment is working.

Wasn't happy I am bound by the mask but I wish I would have done it sooner. I feel better and my family/social life is much improved.

Good luck

Thanks for sharing that. I think I am ready. I just can't go on being this tired. The fatigue is definitely impacting my quality of life. I'm glad it has helped you and your story gives me hope. 

Now I just have to figure out which machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 02:13 AM)chill Wrote: The reason that the machine keeps blowing out air when you exhale is to prevent your CO2 from going back into the machine.  The flow from the machine forces the CO2 out of the mask vent.  That is the intentional leak.  The issue with unintentional leaks (around the mask seal) is mainly that you can feel the airflow and it wakes you up or keeps you awake.  If they are really BIG leaks, they can affect the benefit of the therapy.  The machine can deal with most leaks, but they are annoying.  The noise is also annoying to anyone in bed with you.

You are fine to discuss machine choices here.   The S9 AutoSet (or the newer S10) or DreamStation are good choices.  Those are the Big Two brands.  I like F&P masks but know little about their machines.

Is your nose totally blocked?  If not, I'd consider a full-face mask like the F&P Simplus.  I will also recommend that you see an ENT doc about what might be wrong.  Some minor surgery or treatment for chronic Rhinitis might bring your great benefit.  It did for me.

On a few occasions I can breathe through my nose if I consciously think about it, but for the most part it is not easy. I have seen ENTs and I don't want surgery or steroids just so I can wear a full face mask. My skin tends to break out easily and I really wouldn't want to go that route even if I wasn't a mouth breather. Seeing all that which comes into contact on people's faces is what has deterred me for years from giving it a go. It wasn't until recently that I learned about just the oral mask, that I thought, I might be able to give it a try.

Well I just realized the dreamstation does not come with the humidifier and so right now I am really leaning towards the S9. The icon seems fine, but I don't think it can tell you if you have central events like the s9. Also, according to one site, the ICON doesn't give you the data right on the screen, but somewhere else it appears to say it does. Does anyone know?

For those who have the s9, can you find out about central events right on the screen, or is that something you have to read off the card?
Post Reply Post Reply
DreamStations do have humidifiers.  It is the same as the S9 - there are two pieces, the CPAP machine itself and the humidifier.    The humidifier is detachable on both machine.  It is possible to buy only the CPAP portion of either one.

I would avoid the ICON simply because it is less common and people here will be more familiar with the function of the Resmed and Phillips machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 03:10 PM)chill Wrote: DreamStations do have humidifiers.  It is the same as the S9 - there are two pieces, the CPAP machine itself and the humidifier.    The humidifier is detachable on both machine.  It is possible to buy only the CPAP portion of either one.

I would avoid the ICON simply because it is less common and people here will be more familiar with the function of the Resmed and Phillips machines.

The price of the S9 with the attached humidifier was very close to the Phillips without it, so that pretty much ruled out the Phillips for me. The S9 Autoset is looking like a strong contender. I know it can detect central events, and am trying to find out if that data can be read from the display. I am pretty sure the ICON won't have that info at all, but am not sure yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:

The price of the S9 with the attached humidifier was very close to the Phillips without it, so that pretty much ruled out the Phillips for me. The S9 Autoset is looking like a strong contender. I know it can detect central events, and am trying to find out if that data can be read from the display. I am pretty sure the ICON won't have that info at all, but am not sure yet.

Hi Snorilla,
I'm pretty new here. I'm throwing in my 2 cents, because I just bought a new Dreamstation Auto. I found it on Amazon, sold by an outfit in Las Vegas, for $440.00, with humidifier, and heated hose, and free shipping, I never saw a data capable Resmed machine, for anywhere near that price. Folks here seem to like both the Phillips, and Resmed machines, however, the price was very important to me, and I've owned two other Phillips machines, so I trusted their quality.

Good for you, for taking the time to research your options, and for finding your way here. Best of luck, with your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,052 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 386 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven
  Sleep apnea monitors without cPAP LVH115 14 956 01-17-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 491 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.