Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member-Mild OSA
New Member-Mild OSA
Hi All. This is all new to me so I have some questions. I was diagnosed at Kaiser with mild obstructive sleep apnea. The overnight test I did at home showed an AHI of 5.4 and a RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index) of 13.2 events per cycle. No oxygen measurement was provided. My psychiatrist recommended the testing because I complained of waking up tired every morning and having a hell of a time getting out of bed. I thought it might be the depression/anxiety medication but she didn't think so. One question I have is that the AHI of 5.4 seems really low compared to what I'm seeing others report. Do you think I would benefit from treatment or not? Also, I haven't seen others report a RDI value, is this important? Another thing that I'm curious about is that I was told that acid reflux (which I do have) can be related to OSA. Do others find that the reflux problem gets better with OSA treatment? Also, I'm trying to decide whether to try the dental device before the CPAP, but the doctor said it can make TMJ (which I have) worse. I have TMJ that sometimes triggers migraines. And I wear a bite guard on top for grinding and a retainer on the bottom to hold by teeth in position - the bite guard holds the top teeth in position so that the top retainer is no longer needed. Sorry for the length of the post. I would appreciate any info you can pass on that might help. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member-Mild OSA
Hi jm -- Your doctor is wisely paying attention to that RDI - Respiratory Disturbance Index. The RDI includes the AHI events (apneas and hypopneas) PLUS RERAs or Respiratory Effort Related Arousals. These are micro awakenings or arousals caused by compromised air flow that yank the sleeper out of deeper stages of sleep into lighter ones. So with that happening over 13 times every hour it's no surprise you wake up feeling poorly and it's worth trying PAP therapy.

Antidepressants can sometimes interfere with sleep architecture and cause or contribute to tiredness, but I'd sure treat the sleep-disordered breathing before drawing any conclusions about that.

I'm just up the road from you in the Sac area -- Kaisers in SF and Sac give out APAP machines so you'll have treatment data to look at and follow if you wish.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jmcboo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Since you already have TMJ, it doesn't seem like the dental device is the way to go.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Mrs QAL and I were just talking about how my acid reflux has virtually disappeared once I started getting relief from apnea. The acid reflux is way more connected with the oxygen desaturation and CO2 saturation in the blood - than any of the normally discussed causes - diet, etc. My apnea treatment is using CPAP, but any treatment that fixes the oxygen and CO2 levels will attack that bad boy! In 9 months I have taken an antacid tablet about 4 times, once I am convinced was really used to combat a mild food poisoning.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2015, 04:24 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: Hi jm -- Your doctor is wisely paying attention to that RDI - Respiratory Disturbance Index. The RDI includes the AHI events (apneas and hypopneas) PLUS RERAs or Respiratory Effort Related Arousals. These are micro awakenings or arousals caused by compromised air flow that yank the sleeper out of deeper stages of sleep into lighter ones. So with that happening over 13 times every hour it's no surprise you wake up feeling poorly and it's worth trying PAP therapy.

Antidepressants can sometimes interfere with sleep architecture and cause or contribute to tiredness, but I'd sure treat the sleep-disordered breathing before drawing any conclusions about that.

I'm just up the road from you in the Sac area -- Kaisers in SF and Sac give out APAP machines so you'll have treatment data to look at and follow if you wish.

Ditto to what Kaiasgram said. Last year, I was diagnosed with very mild apnea at a 5.9 AHI but my RDI was 23 which put me in the moderate range as far as having sleep breathing events.

Unfortunately, my former sleep doctor didn't seem to understand the significance of the RDI. Then again many don't seem to which is why boards like this are so valuable.

Anyway, you definitely need treatment which I wish you all the luck in the world with.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2015, 11:48 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: Mrs QAL and I were just talking about how my acid reflux has virtually disappeared once I started getting relief from apnea.

I didn't realize it until I read you comment. My reflux has gone away since I started treatment! That's yet another plus of getting treated. I'm so mad at myself for waiting so long.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2015, 03:09 PM)GingerMan512 Wrote:
(08-16-2015, 11:48 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: Mrs QAL and I were just talking about how my acid reflux has virtually disappeared once I started getting relief from apnea.

I didn't realize it until I read you comment. My reflux has gone away since I started treatment! That's yet another plus of getting treated. I'm so mad at myself for waiting so long.

Yeah, I hoped that many things would change, but was so pleased when I found out this one came along for the ride!

q
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,052 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 491 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Mild OSA, fractured sleep - looking for advice rozlt 1 328 01-01-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Frequent wakeups with mild OSA -- help me interpret OSCAR? mcrick 6 697 12-24-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: mcrick
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,022 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.