Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member-Newly diagnosed-Have questions
New Member-Newly diagnosed-Have questions
I just recently received my “severe sleep apnea” diagnosis from a pulmonologist after having gone through a sleep study at a sleep center: 47 AHI, snoring, and no oxygen to the brain. 

With that being said, the pulmonologist asked me if I wanted a CPAP machine or an APAP machine and what kind of mask I wanted.

Without knowing much at this point, I am thinking that the APAP machine is the better option (a newer technology and $200 more expensive) and that a full face mask would cover all bases, as far as whether I am a mouth breather or nose breather. How in the blazes is one suppose to know where one breathes from?

Any suggestions regarding those two things would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member-Newly diagnosed-Have questions
When you sit down do you breath through your mouth or nose. The nose is the more natural way to breathe and is arguably better. And frequently when a nasal or nasal pillow mask is used many naturally breathe through the nose.
My recommendation is for a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. It provides more flexibility than other brands.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer will provide much info on masks and their usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to get a complete copy of your sleep study and prescription. You may need them in the future.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2019, 05:57 PM)Geoffrey Wrote: ...

With that being said, the pulmonologist asked me if I wanted a CPAP machine or an APAP machine and what kind of mask I wanted.

Really?   Unsure 

You should be properly fitted for a mask until you find one that fits and that you think you can sleep with.  From there, it's just a series of trials until you hit pay dirt.

But, asking you if you'd rather have a root canal as opposed to an extraction isn't a simple choice.  It requires understanding.  How were you to make an informed decision?
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred Bonjour, thank you very much for the recommendation as to which mask to use or not. I shall be paying closer attention these next days about my breathing habits.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply. From what I have read, the CPAP machine has a ramp button, much like with the variable airflow of the APAP, making possible a falling asleep without high pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't confuse ramp with APAP. Ramp is just a comfort feature that allows you to start at a lower pressure. It does not adjust to meet your pressure needs to reduce apnea. Most of us do not use ramp as it just delays getting to therapeutic pressure and most adapt to the required pressures fairly quickly. APAP machines also have ramp.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2019, 05:57 PM)Geoffrey Wrote: I just recently received my “severe sleep apnea” diagnosis from a pulmonologist after having gone through a sleep study at a sleep center: 47 AHI, snoring, and no oxygen to the brain. 

Without knowing much at this point, I am thinking that the APAP machine is the better option (a newer technology and $200 more expensive) and that a full face mask would cover all bases, as far as whether I am a mouth breather or nose breather. How in the blazes is one suppose to know where one breathes from?

Any suggestions regarding those two things would be greatly appreciated.

Always request an APAP machine, preferably a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. Here’s why....you can use the APAP in APAP mode or Cpap mode, but with a Cpap machine, you only have the option of Cpap mode.

Either Cpap or APAP has the capability to use Ramp or EPR. These are comfort features.

Yes, a full face mask may cover all bases, but only if it fits properly. A DME or Supplier should sit down with you and try a few on to see how they feel. You should also have the option of returning a mask within 30 days if it doesn’t work out and try something else.

What type mask did you wear during your sleep test? Was it comfortable?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2019, 11:27 PM)mesenteria Wrote:

Really?   Unsure 

You should be properly fitted for a mask until you find one that fits and that you think you can sleep with.  From there, it's just a series of trials until you hit pay dirt.

But, asking you if you'd rather have a root canal as opposed to an extraction isn't a simple choice.  It requires understanding.  How were you to make an informed decision?
On the plus side, he was asked about the machine choice!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2019, 09:51 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 11:27 PM)mesenteria Wrote:

Really?   Unsure 

On the plus side, he was asked about the machine choice!

Thank God for small wonders....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 350 4 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 56 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 385 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.