Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dream Station Settings
RE: Dream Station Settings
There are two categories of mask leaks. The first is a leak so large that the machine can't compensate for it by pumping out a larger volume of air (additional volume equal to the leak). That kind of leak results in a pressure loss and affects the quality of your therapy. That is the kind of leak that Dream Mapper is reporting.

The second is a smaller leak that the machine can compensate for, but which disturbs the person wearing the mask. Face farts are pretty common as is a very small leak blowing into the corner of your eyes (my personal nemesis). This is probably the #1 issue that most people have with CPAP. A perfect mask has yet to be invented, but I keep hoping. As do most of us. Tightening the straps until the face farts stop might help you get a better night's sleep. Reducing the maximum pressure might also be a good answer, but we need to see what is happening first. I have had to increasingly tighten my mask as I have raised by treatment pressured into a more effective range. I am not familiar with your mask so I can't offer any personal insights into working with it. Hopefully others can. Keep an open mind to trying other masks and hopefully your supplier will be supportive. Getting a mask that you can sleep well with is the key factor in success with CPAP. Your mask is out there, somewhere...
Post Reply Post Reply
The Amara Gel FFM is a pretty good mask. Likely you have adjusted it while not under pressure. To hold at 20, it will have to be tight.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Autumnseer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
In My Setup:
go to: Check Mask Fit This feature allows you to check the fit of your mask prior to starting therapy. This is done by measuring the amount of leak.

You have 20 seconds at maximum power that allows you to observe where the mask leak, is very useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your doctor said over 400 events per night when he should have been able to give you an AHI. I'm not sure that he really knows what he is talking about.

Assuming your sleep study was for 8 hours then that works out to about 50 per hour - an AHI of 50+. This is in the severe range but not as bad as some of the AHIs registered here.

My sleep study AHI was 57 and I was recommended a pressure of 13 fixed, not auto. It was quite close to the mark and my minimum and maximum settings bracket that 13. (Look at my profile

I am also a mouth breather but have adapted to using a nasal mask (no farting with this). I use a soft cervical collar to help with mouth breathing.

Can I suggest that you use the clinical menu and set a range of 9 to 15. Also, use the Aflex setting on your Dreamstation which will make exhalation easier and may ease the 'farts'. Set it to two and see what happens. Turn off the ramp or run it for 10 minutes only. The AFlex will do what you think the ramp will do.

Finally, as has been suggested, post your Sleepyhead results here so the very knowledgeable people here can look at them and advise.

The process takes time but a year into therapy things are really starting to work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Solution to face farts is to tighten the mask, gently.

I believe as you get used to the machine you will subconsciously learn to adjust your face when you start "farting" (hehe) as you're sleeping. This may take 6 months or so.

I have the same machine. It adjusts, if it's blasting at 20 cm H2O that means that's what you need. Without that pressure your therapy will be ineffective. As time goes on your subconsciously adjust your sleeping so you don't need that pressure IMO. I'm a heavy man and I don't need that pressure, but when I started I needed that high of a pressure, and would wake up with the thing blasting in my face. Now my pressure might hover around 11-12 depending on how I'm sleeping.

Another suggestion was to try to sleep on your back which may or may not be feasible.

White noise can help with the machine noise... and they do put out more noise than you may think, and what's worse is that it matches you're breathing making it sound like a respirator of sorts.

Hopefully as you get used to the machine, you will wake up as refreshed as I am this morning after sleep 8 hours with it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 950 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Exclaimation [Diagnosis] 2 Yrs CPAP & I Still Don't Dream - Eliminated Obstructive But Central Apneas Present droo 5 532 08-31-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: droo
Question Resmed AirTouch F20 on Dream Station 2: X factor? SleeperAwake21 1 437 05-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: SleeperAwake21
  Duration Resmed battery Power Station II Asjb 2 729 03-20-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Asjb
Question Dream Station 2 stats sallym 4 760 02-20-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting HelicopterPilot 7 852 02-03-2023, 05:20 PM
Last Post: HelicopterPilot

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.