Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member and Optimistic
RE: New Member and Optimistic
(05-07-2015, 06:38 PM)AlanE Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 04:39 PM)trailrider Wrote: Welcome Kingskid!

As you can see this place comes with it's own standup comedians too! Worth what we pay them.

But... I'm sitting down.

Which, of course, explains why you do not get the big bucks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2015, 07:01 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 06:38 PM)AlanE Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 04:39 PM)trailrider Wrote: Welcome Kingskid!

As you can see this place comes with it's own standup comedians too! Worth what we pay them.

But... I'm sitting down.

Which, of course, explains why you do not get the big bucks.

Sigh. Well, there is always a shovel and horse stables.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2015, 05:35 PM)sgearhart Wrote: [quote='kingskid' pid='112533' dateline='1431037169']
Our S/S is 24v and we do have an inverter, so 110 is no problem. Only thing I am concerned about is how much of a draw a CPAP would be on the batteries at night. Guess I'll be experimenting. We turn off the fridge at night and only have residual current for lights, computers, etc. If I understand correctly, if something is plugged in, it still uses current even if it is not turned on. Standby usage perhaps? Dunno.

Here is a link to battery requirements for Resmed devices. I hope it may help.

Oh, thanks so much; I will check it out!Big Grin
"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul."
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2015, 08:05 PM)kingskid Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 05:35 PM)sgearhart Wrote: [quote='kingskid' pid='112533' dateline='1431037169']
Our S/S is 24v and we do have an inverter, so 110 is no problem. Only thing I am concerned about is how much of a draw a CPAP would be on the batteries at night. Guess I'll be experimenting. We turn off the fridge at night and only have residual current for lights, computers, etc. If I understand correctly, if something is plugged in, it still uses current even if it is not turned on. Standby usage perhaps? Dunno.

Here is a link to battery requirements for Resmed devices. I hope it may help.

Oh, thanks so much; I will check it out!Big Grin
BTW, I had to remove the link before I could post my reply. I bookmarked it for further study.

Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board! And good luck with your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2015, 07:59 AM)truetopath Wrote: Welcome to the board! And good luck with your therapy!

Thanks, true!
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed units require that you use their proprietary power supplies even if you have direct 24 V DC supply. If you are using a 12 V unit like the Respironics System One machines (series 50 or 60) then you would also need a small transformer/converter which are not that hard to hook up.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2015, 06:06 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The Resmed units require that you use their proprietary power supplies even if you have direct 24 V DC supply. If you are using a 12 V unit like the Respironics System One machines (series 50 or 60) then you would also need a small transformer/converter which are not that hard to hook up.

OMMOHY

Thanks OMMOHY. I'm a bit confused. Even though we are on a solar system with battery backup, our home is 110 and everything works like it would if we were on the grid. Therefore, I'd plug in the CPAP like I plug in everything else. If I used it during the day, it would be powered by the sun's energy, which would be converted from DC to AC power through the inverter. However, it is nighttime use that I am pondering. I'd still be using AC power from the energy stored in the batteries during the day and then inverted, but don't know how much it would draw them down. They are deep-cell batteries and from the info another poster sent me from the ResMed manual, deep-cells can be draw down even 80%. This morning I checked the stats so I can keep running notes on the battery for a time. The PM reading was 24.5V; AM was 24.4V; PM BATTERY was 50%; AM BATTERY was 45%. We turn the fridge off at night, so there currently (no pun intended) is not much to draw down the battery power. With all that said, I have been wondering if it might be best to just get a DC CPAP with battery and inverter, but don't want to over-buy if our home system could handle a CPAP with humidifier, heater, etc. Guess the proof will be in the puddin'.

Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, OK. All CPAPs (that I know of) are DC powered. They either have an internal power supply or an external power brick that takes the 110-240 V AC and brings it down to either 12 or 24 V DC to run the machine. So, the sun excites the solar panels which put out 24 v (?) DC into batteries which you draw from and into an inverter to make 110. Then your power supply on the machine will take that 110 and turn it back down to 24 V DC. It is kind of a round trip, but if you have whole house batteries that charge up every day, then I am guessing that they are probably rated in the hundreds of AH will probably be fine handling a CPAP with heated humidification overnight. You are probably figuring only a few amps draw for that.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2015, 10:58 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Oh, OK. All CPAPs (that I know of) are DC powered. They either have an internal power supply or an external power brick that takes the 110-240 V AC and brings it down to either 12 or 24 V DC to run the machine. So, the sun excites the solar panels which put out 24 v (?) DC into batteries which you draw from and into an inverter to make 110. Then your power supply on the machine will take that 110 and turn it back down to 24 V DC. It is kind of a round trip, but if you have whole house batteries that charge up every day, then I am guessing that they are probably rated in the hundreds of AH will probably be fine handling a CPAP with heated humidification overnight. You are probably figuring only a few amps draw for that.

I have yet to even see a CPAP since it's only been a month since my sleep study. (The tech had come in that night to ask if I wanted to get on the CPAP and all I could envision was something like a gas mask over my face so I said no. Didn't realize until my dr. told me about the report, but my ox had gone down to 70.) Anyway, I guess I figured all the machines just plugged into a house's AC current. This whole business is like a college course!Oh-jeez
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 499 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,560 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,014 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 458 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 430 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.