Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member but not new to CPAP
RE: New Member but not new to CPAP
(03-11-2017, 09:15 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Looks great, and a few CA events when starting out are pretty normal, and are more a reflection of sleep disruption than a problem.  Your ideal of using a minimum pressure of 6 looks like it will work fine.  Go for comfort, whatever that is for you.  Reading between the lines, your EPR level is at 3, so  keep in mind the minimum pressure for the machine is 4.0 cm.  As you reduce minimum pressure, you will also be reducing EPR at the low end of that setting.  So if your minimum pressure is 6.0, your delivered pressures with EPR at 3 are 6/4, 7/4, 8/5.  I recommend that if you select a minimum pressure of 6.0 that you also reduce EPR to 2.0 so it remains constant if your pressure need increase.  It is the exhale pressure (EPAP) that resolves OA, and as you can see, at these low pressures EPAP will lag pressure increases.

Thanks Sleeprider, Yeah I figured the numbers were dialed pretty good with the OA's at 0.00 and thanks for the tip on the EPR. I think I am going to keep the current settings for at least 2 weeks to get a good data set. The sleep has been as restful as it was when I did the trial off of CPAP but I really understand the docs concerns if I am still having a significant number of apneas without it. I really don't want to wind up like I was in 2008 when I was diagnosed. I was miserable prior to treatment. I know this stuff works great and just want it dialed in just right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GPLarge,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss.
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Made a change to the EPR last night from 3 to 2. I left the pressures at 7 and 9. I know one night results aren't that great to go by for long term but I am going to keep it like this and see. The CA's went from an average of 13.6 (Low of 9 High of 18) to 2! Hypopneas remained the same at an average of 2. I have only had 2 OA's on one day since resuming treatment. I will keep an eye on my min/max pressures to gauge if I should try dropping to 6 on the low. the AHI went from an average of 2.38 (low of 1.97 high of 3.39) to the one night result of 0.55! Maybe having the EPR at 3 was allowing it to drop a hair too low although my apneas seem to CA in nature.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR tends to encourage CA in sensitive individuals. Your improved results don't surprise me a bit, and as I said in my previous post, a high EPR at low pressure settings is less than ideal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2017, 07:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: EPR tends to encourage CA in sensitive individuals.  Your improved results don't surprise me a bit, and as I said in my previous post, a high EPR at low pressure settings is less than ideal.

Thanks Sleeprider, The one weird thing is last night I hit the max pressure of 9 but that was also when I was starting to wake up. Flow Limit and Mask pressure were also elevated which makes sense with the higher pressure.

[Image: 32564589024_86a5eecae8_b.jpg]screenshot-20170312-200936 by Al Williams, on Flickr
Post Reply Post Reply
You know? I think that worked pretty good. Might just be good nuff!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I will give it a good week or so to get more data but I'm happy with it so far. I have to thank all the members here for the support and knowledge. I was less interactive with my CPAP treatment the first go around (2008-2016), i.e. letting the doc set the pressures and not even bother to look at the results till my next appointment, but I am going to be much more active and .paying attention to MY results and treatment this time around.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK looks like the EPR change reduced the CA's quite well. AHI has been averaging <1 for the week. Next will be the chin strap when it comes in. Prior to my weight loss I never had a problem with mouth leaks. I am taking a guess at the leaks as my wife has said a couple times I had outh leaks and have had numerous mornings with a very dry mouth. The new pillow should be here tomorrow also.

[Image: 33483133575_aed67ca503_c.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck with the leaks. Looks like you have the rest of this all sussed out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
You definitely need that chin strap. I'd be interested in seeing your leak graph after you start wearing it.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,022 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,557 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 996 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 456 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 427 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.