Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member having big problems
RE: New Member having big problems
Same here, for me means time to replace the cushion. I've using the same mask over two years, just replace cushion and headgear when worn out. I can get 3 cushions from US for the price of one cushion in Australia plus money left over for a cup of coffee and cake too Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2013, 01:05 AM)OzzieMatt Wrote: Hi everyone.

Just wanted to say hello and hopefully get some help.

I was recently diagnosed with severe OSA.

My cardiorespiratory examination in normal but I have a narrow upper airway with a long and thick uvula.

My sleep study revealed I suffer around 82 apnoeas per hour and major oxygen desaturation to 41%. My sleep efficiency is 80%.

I have been trialling a Resmed S9 Autostart with a variety of masks, with very little success. We started my pressures 'wide open' with low pressure at 4 and high at 20. Since then we've narrowed the range, with my current set-up at: HIgh 20, Low 8, start 6 with ramping of 20 minutes.

It's made no difference. I still wake up soon after I've fallen asleep seemingly gasping for air and ripping the mask from my face. I'm currently using a Mirage Quattro FF mask.

I'm feeling quite depressed and very furstrated. I just don't seem to be able to adjust to this. I know it's only been about three weeks, but my current energy levels and quality of life feel worse thant before I commenced treatment. I've not had one good night's sleep since commencing this treatment.

I'm hoping someone out there can share their experience and help me through this.

Thanks

I also am new to this and last night woke up not breathing. My SleepyHead said a majority of my apnea now is central. The Hyponea s and obstructives are gone but about 1/2 an hour after I go to bed in light sleep BAM. I stop breathing and wake up gasping. I leave the mask on now and suck deeply on the air to bring my heart rate down. I think the moderator is correct. I don't use ramp but my starting pressure is 6 and goes up to 16. with an average around 8. I think my start pressure is too low so I get a central apnea before the machine has gone higher. I'm wondering if I can jack the machine pressure up a little by holding my breath. That way it might be at 8 before I fall asleep. This is temporary until I see the doc or RT next week.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2013, 02:33 PM)Lukie Wrote:

My cardiorespiratory examination in normal but I have a narrow upper airway with a long and thick uvula.

My sleep study revealed I suffer around 82 apnoeas per hour and major oxygen desaturation to 41%. My sleep efficiency is 80%.

I have been trialling a Resmed S9 Autostart with a variety of masks, with very little success. We started my pressures 'wide open' with low pressure at 4 and high at 20. Since then we've narrowed the range, with my current set-up at: HIgh 20, Low 8, start 6 with ramping of 20 minutes.

It's made no difference. I still wake up soon after I've fallen asleep seemingly gasping for air and ripping the mask from my face. I'm currently using a Mirage Quattro FF mask.

I'm feeling quite depressed and very furstrated. I just don't seem to be able to adjust to this. I know it's only been about three weeks, but my current energy levels and quality of life feel worse thant before I commenced treatment. I've not had one good night's sleep since commencing this treatment.

I'm hoping someone out there can share their experience and help me through this.

Thanks

I also am new to this and last night woke up not breathing. My SleepyHead said a majority of my apnea now is central. The Hyponea s and obstructives are gone but about 1/2 an hour after I go to bed in light sleep BAM. I stop breathing and wake up gasping. I leave the mask on now and suck deeply on the air to bring my heart rate down. I think the moderator is correct. I don't use ramp but my starting pressure is 6 and goes up to 16. with an average around 8. I think my start pressure is too low so I get a central apnea before the machine has gone higher. I'm wondering if I can jack the machine pressure up a little by holding my breath. That way it might be at 8 before I fall asleep. This is temporary until I see the doc or RT next week.

You don't need to hold your breath. You can change your pressures in the clinician menu. I will look to see if I can find the link to the thread for you or maybe zonk or someone else can get it faster than I can.

From PaulaO2:

When you get into the clinician menu, and you select the pressure, tap the knob button. It should change from blue to orange. When orange, you turn the knob to make changes. Tap the knob again to finalize and it turns blue again.

Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2013, 02:49 PM)me50 Wrote:
(11-24-2013, 02:33 PM)Lukie Wrote:

Thanks

You don't need to hold your breath. You can change your pressures in the clinician menu. I will look to see if I can find the link to the thread for you or maybe zonk or someone else can get it faster than I can.
No, not yet. I don't want to do this without discussing it with the doctor. I'm too new at all this and I would rather not take these matters into my own hands until I know more about my condition and all issues involved because I also read that pressures that are too high can also cause centrals so for now I'll be a good little girl and confine my hacking the machine just to data gathering. Perhaps when I have been riding this horse a bit longer I will feel confident in manipulating pressures.

Post Reply Post Reply
From one noob to another, I had some of the same panic...out of air feelings. Not for snoring or obstructive, I just stopped, which I suppose are central apnea. It scared the hell out of me at first. I think it was the resistance to exhale that was doing it.

So, I started wearing it until it started to aggravate me, then took it off and slept the rest of the night. With time and trying different masks, I started increasing my time each night on the machine. I prayed for the night that I would sleep an entire night without this happening.

As everyone on this forum has told you, you will get used to it and do well. Just don't let it become the monster that scares you in the middle of the night.

I am now sleeping the whole night through and my AHI has dropped to less than one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2013, 03:19 PM)drgrimes Wrote: From one noob to another, I had some of the same panic...out of air feelings. Not for snoring or obstructive, I just stopped, which I suppose are central apnea. It scared the hell out of me at first. I think it was the resistance to exhale that was doing it.

So, I started wearing it until it started to aggravate me, then took it off and slept the rest of the night. With time and trying different masks, I started increasing my time each night on the machine. I prayed for the night that I would sleep an entire night without this happening.

As everyone on this forum has told you, you will get used to it and do well. Just don't let it become the monster that scares you in the middle of the night.

I am now sleeping the whole night through and my AHI has dropped to less than one.

Last night was my 4th night. I have been using the machine for 9 hours a night ever since I brought the machine home. Why? Because I feel good on the machine. It is saving my life. Is it hard? Yes. It is. But death is scarier than the machine. I am 72 and brain damage and heart issues are beginning to manifest after 20 years of untreated sleep apnea, mild but nevertheless deadly.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
You said perfect just above me~!

How motivated are you? Granted, it's easy for me to say (12yrs later) that I love my dream machine. But at day ONE, I started telling myself that I couldn't sleep without it, that I couldn't breathe without it - your brain doesn't know about lies or jokes, it believes everything you say. All the success books, and all that talk about positive conversations with yourself, and that part really is true.

I am living with heart issues caused by OSA, it's taken over 10 years to bring my 'at rest' heart rate down from 122 to a more normal 70-80.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,016 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 499 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,853 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.