Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member here
New Member here
Just found this forum. Recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. Turns out it's pretty severe at that. Yesterday I picked up my CPAP machine ( ResMed AirSense 10 auto ). First usage last night. Using full mask. I was comfortable and slept well. No issues wearing the mask or using the machine.

I'm looking forward to seeing how I do with this as my main problem was daytime sleepiness and fatigue. To the point were I have been off work for a few months. I drive semi truck over the road and as my condition worsened I've taken myself off work to get treatment that finally led to the Sleep apnea diagnosis. Also found that Sleepyhead software I've read about here on the forum and have set that up.

Here is some info from my sleep test I took before treatment:

" Unattended home apnea test that confirmed severe obstructive sleep apnea. The REI is 92, minimum oxygen saturation 82%, and 130 minutes were spent with oxygen saturation of 88% or less. "

" Respiratory Events: Apnea Hypopnea Index (AHI): 91.7.
There were a total of 476 obstructive apneas, 41 central apneas, 15 mixed apneas, and 64 hypopneas. Supine AHI: 0.

Oximetry: The mean oxygen saturation was 90%. The minimum oxygen saturation was 82%. There were 542 desaturations of 3% or greater, for an index of 83 per hour. There were 191 minutes spent less than 90%. "

I don't know what all this means yet as I'm new but I was told it was pretty severe.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member here
You've come to the right place. Welcoming and knowledgeable people abound. Stick with it, track your data with SH software and fine tune your settings with folks here to find the ultimate sweet spot in your therapy. I'm glad you have started treatment. If you are adjusting to your therapy you should notice daytime differences very soon. Good luck.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

good luck with your treatment.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2016, 01:35 PM)steelerduk Wrote: " Respiratory Events: Apnea Hypopnea Index (AHI): 91.7.
There were a total of 476 obstructive apneas, 41 central apneas, 15 mixed apneas, and 64 hypopneas. Supine AHI: 0.

I do not understand that. Supine (on one's back is usually the worst position.) What position were you in for the AHI of 91.7?

BTW -- welcome to the forum.
The numbers are in the ball park for many people who come here.
You have a good machine. Keep track of your leaks and central events. (Pressure may induce centrals.)

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I slept on my right side mostly that night. And most nights I sleep on my right side. Very rarely do I sleep on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
from a fellow Oregonian...
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2016, 01:35 PM)steelerduk Wrote: Just found this forum. Recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. Turns out it's pretty severe at that. Yesterday I picked up my CPAP machine ( ResMed AirSense 10 auto ). First usage last night. Using full mask. I was comfortable and slept well. No issues wearing the mask or using the machine.

I'm looking forward to seeing how I do with this as my main problem was daytime sleepiness and fatigue. To the point were I have been off work for a few months. I drive semi truck over the road and as my condition worsened I've taken myself off work to get treatment that finally led to the Sleep apnea diagnosis. Also found that Sleepyhead software I've read about here on the forum and have set that up.

Here is some info from my sleep test I took before treatment:

" Unattended home apnea test that confirmed severe obstructive sleep apnea. The REI is 92, minimum oxygen saturation 82%, and 130 minutes were spent with oxygen saturation of 88% or less. "

" Respiratory Events: Apnea Hypopnea Index (AHI): 91.7.

Oximetry: The mean oxygen saturation was 90%. The minimum oxygen saturation was 82%. There were 542 desaturations of 3% or greater, for an index of 83 per hour. There were 191 minutes spent less than 90%. "

I don't know what all this means yet as I'm new but I was told it was pretty severe.

Im fairly new but my understanding is that your AHI number is basically is the result from dividing the number of events by the number of hours.

90+ is much higher than mine but I know you will feel a world of difference each day more and more as you recover from all your sleep depravation.

I had an AHI of 28 when diagnosed, with my cpap and using tge sleepyhead software Ive noticed a drop all the way down to 3.5.

I no longer yawn and nod my head when driving and my kid noticed it after I pick him up from school.

I also have a super ton of energy at the gym, I can work out harder.

Ive only been in treatment about 2 weeks
Post Reply Post Reply
Steelerduk, you're off to a great start. Let us know if you have any questions.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yo, Steeler, Dude guy! Congrats on starting your therapy. You will discover in short order that this new way of life for you is wonderful... I see you took yourself off the road knowing you needed help? That is tremendous too. If only all of us had your sense of self-worth and importance for others on the road.

I don't come around here much anymore because Superguy told me my t-shirt was too dirty. But I came here just to say hi to you, and compliment you on your beginning this therapy.

Your AHI is quite high. But the important thing is now that you have begun therapy, where is it now? As you progress over the next few days report your Sleepyhead results to the resident guru's around here and they'll advise you as needed to maximize your results. If your mask is working well for you, that's fine too, but there are options if it comes to pass that you would like to try something else.

Also, your machine is set to 4-18'ish? I believe you will find 4 is just way to low to be comfortable when you first lay down and try to go to sleep. I believe you will want to raise that up a bit. The guys around here will help you do that.

Mostly, congrats again for starting this process. For this Oregonian, if they want to take my machine away from me they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead nose............

Oh....... and by the way: "Hi everybody! I hope each and every one of you has a spectacular Valentine's Day with your best other........"

R.G.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey RG. Nice to hear from you.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,022 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,558 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 997 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 456 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 427 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.