Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member, need help please!
RE: New Member, need help please!
I don't need until next Christmas to solve that, sorry to do you out of a job on this one 'bonjour' pid... Grin

(01-01-2017, 03:24 PM)bonjour Wrote: Ho Ho Ho!
I have 51 weeks to work on that one.

(01-01-2017, 02:57 PM)chigirl Wrote: All I want for Christmas is a mask that:
1) Doesn't blow cold air on my nose, in my eyes or on my arm.
2) One that doesn't make me feel claustrophobic.
3) One that lets me sleep on my side or stomach.
4) One where the straps stay put and don't slide around.
5) One that is quiet.
6) One that lets me breathe.
7) One that doesn't leak enough to wake me up.

Anyone know of a mask like that? Laugh-a-lot

Fisher & Paykal Eson nose mask (not a pillows/cushion style mask)

I have the original version, but they also now have an Eson 2 on the market, though I'd happily buy a spare or two of the the one I have now to keep on hand for when I eventually wear out the current one.

[Image: 20160908_100711_zpsimrhbrwa.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 09:04 PM)chigirl Wrote: Thanks Beej.

My AHI has been consistently low since starting APAP. (Whichever pressure setting.) My challenge has been staying asleep. For some reason I'm waking up and once I do, I cannot go back to sleep. Well not without taking off my mask.

It is better than when I started a couple of months ago, but I'm still waking up at least once per night. Sad I haven't slept one night, all the way through, since I started.

I'm determined to make this work, and have actually passed my insurance compliance, but I feel more tired now than before I started APAP. That's why I'm trying so many different things. (I actually went for my sleep study due to memory-related issues and not tiredness related issues.)

I'm open to whatever suggestions people have for ways to reduce waking up--pressure related or otherwise. When I look at the charts, I see gibberish so I don't know if there's something noticeable on there (that I can correct) that may explain why I'm waking up. Or maybe I just need to give myself more time to adjust to APAP.

Is your S10 the "for her" model? Because it has the softer pressure increase algorithm setting if the surge in pressure is the cause of waking you up (other than leaks). Going back to sleep, is the initial pressure setting too high (air gushing) or too low (not enough air) such that you wish to remove your mask? I ask these questions because i had similar issues when trying out the S10.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Chigirl, something you might want to try as an experiment for a week to get better rest is steady, constant CPAP pressure. If you're willing to give this a try, just set your minimum and maximum pressure to 12.0, or use CPAP mode at 12.0. Some people are sensitive to changing pressures, and while you're are not wildly varying, it might help just to use a steady pressure to see if it is less disruptive. 12 appears to be a pretty good pressure target based on your charts, you might want to try it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@newbee2016, No, it's the standard Airset--I wasn't given a choice and didn't know I had one at the time. Sad

When I try to go back to sleep I can't because the machine is blasting air at me. I fight that for awhile and then I generally turn it off and then back on so that the ramp starts again. I wish there was a mechanism for the machine to realize you had woken up and restart the ramp.

@sleeprider, I'll give that a shot. I woke up 3x's last night and feel like heck this morning even though my AHI says it was .5

The other thing that I've noticed is that the longer my mask is on, the worse it seals (leaks more) so by the time I get close to morning, no matter how much I move it around it never seals right. (Then I just take it off.) Anyone know how to fix that? I wash my face before I put the mask on, but I am prone to very oily skin.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2017, 10:48 AM)chigirl Wrote: The other thing that I've noticed is that the longer my mask is on, the worse it seals (leaks more) so by the time I get close to morning, no matter how much I move it around it never seals right. (Then I just take it off.) Anyone know how to fix that? I wash my face before I put the mask on, but I am prone to very oily skin.

You might try wiping the mask seal and the area on your face where the mask sits with an unscented baby wipe to remove the oil. It wouldn't take long and maybe you could get a good enough seal to get back to sleep.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 09:13 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: I don't need until next Christmas to solve that, sorry to do you out of a job on this one 'bonjour' pid... Grin

(01-01-2017, 03:24 PM)bonjour Wrote: Ho Ho Ho!
I have 51 weeks to work on that one.

(01-01-2017, 02:57 PM)chigirl Wrote: All I want for Christmas is a mask that:
1)  Doesn't blow cold air on my nose, in my eyes or on my arm.
2)  One that doesn't make me feel claustrophobic.
3)  One that lets me sleep on my side or stomach.
4)  One where the straps stay put and don't slide around.
5)  One that is quiet.
6)  One that lets me breathe.
7)  One that doesn't leak enough to wake me up.

Anyone know of a mask like that? Laugh-a-lot

Fisher & Paykal Eson nose mask (not a pillows/cushion style mask)

I have the original version, but they also now have an Eson 2 on the market, though I'd happily buy a spare or two of the the one I have now to keep on hand for when I eventually wear out the current one.

[Image: 20160908_100711_zpsimrhbrwa.jpg]

@ockrocket, I was given an Eson2 at my appointment with my sleep doctor when I mentioned that my N20 was leaking around my eyes.  So far it's been a winner--although in fairness to the N20, I need to retry it with the Remzzz's.  The Eson2 mask solved everything on my list including blasting cold air--it comes out warm!  At first glance, I thought I would be claustrophic because of the plastic down the middle, but because the plastic is so narrow it is outside of my line of site.

The only complaint I have about it is that it doesn't come with a lightweight connector/extension tube like other masks.  (Or at least the one they gave me didn't.)  So I've been hooking the mask directly to my climateline hose and that's heavy and pulls on my mask.

Anyone know of a short hose that could connect to my climateline and then to the Eson2?

Oh and when I walked into the doc's office the first thing she said to me was...."I see you've been changing your settings."  She was actually pretty impressed and we talked about why I set it the way I did and she offered her advice on what she thought would help me even more.  It was a great conversation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 486 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 996 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,530 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 970 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 448 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 419 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver
  New Member Newly Diagnosed Help With Interpreting lauradeaton 0 374 06-04-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: lauradeaton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.